Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the cause of our decline/slump?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Extended injuries to core playing list of 25 (from 15 games) = lack of team balance.
Lack of tackling pressure = lack of intensity & hardness at the contest. Our game style has changed here.
2018, 14 players averaged over 3 tackles a game. 8 averaging above 4.
2019, 10 players averaged over 3 tackles a game. 3 averaging above 4.

The root of our problem stems from reduced contested possessions and lack of tackling pressure in the engine room. We no longer get first use of the ball or in turn through contested possessions. The possessions gained from turn-over appears well down.
This has been caused by lack of mid-field grunt due to injury ~ Adams (5 games), Sier (4) & Beams (9) missing for bulk of season. Forced to play outside mids (Sidebottom, Treloar) in inside positions.
Lack of a alternative Centre to Pendles.

Backline re-set / new look ~ Lynch (0), Howe (13), Scharenberg (2), Langdon (9) injured. Moore and Roughead in. This has held up.

Forward line - JDG (13), WHE (10), Stephenson (12) - functioned well enough for a time but post Stepho's suspension it further highlights Thomas & Cox's output which is considerably down on 2018.

Once Adams and Sier ae back in the guts as Rover & Ruck-Rover with Pendles as the Centre, we'll address a root cause of the issues but I can't see the offensive issues solved unless Elliott & Thomas start hitting the scoreboard at an average of 2 per game and applying forward half tackling pressure.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Cam wrote:
Last year, first game after the bye, June 24, 2018, we lost Treloar to double hamstrings. Second game after the bye, on June 30, we lost Lynden Dunn for the season. We scraped in our next game against Essendon by 16 points after having a 17 point lead at quarter time, but giving it up and being 1 point down at three quarter time. Essendon had won their previous three games, including beating the Eagles in Perth two weeks prior. Lost promising Appleby with a hamstring.

Bucks subsequently shaved the beard off, we lost to the Eagles by 6 goals at the MCG on July 15 [Eagles lost Natanui for the season, Darcy Moore returned] sending the Eagles to second on the ladder and us down to third. We then belted 9th placed North by 66 points on July 21, but Darcy Moore withdrew pre-game.

July 28, Moore returned, but we were put down by Richmond, losing Scharenberg for the season, and Howe until the finals. The next week, August 4th, we were pipped by Sydney in the Swan's Alex Johnson's first game since 2012, and overall second last game of his career. We lost Darcy Moore for the year, and tumbled to 6th on the ladder. At this point, few of us were thinking we would make the finals at all, let alone win one or two.

We were 5th in round 5, our first entry in 2018, dropped out and re-entered in 8th after round 10, rose to 2nd by round 15. Before bottoming out at 6th after the Sydney game in round 20. We won our last three, squeaking by Freo in Perth in round 23 by 9 to finish 3rd.

So this time last year, we hadn't even got to our lowest point yet! Stay positive.

Mind. Blown.

Puts everything in perspective, great post.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:38 pm

derkd wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
I don’t think it’s a slump, we’ve played poorly for nearly 2 months now but got lucky in a few games. Going back 2 months and we nearly lost to Carlton...

Last year was a fluke and everyone got ahead of themselves

I agree, name me a game this year where any Collingwood fan has walked away satisfied with the four quarters?

The wins masked the fact we are way down on some key stats from where we were last year.... We are now struggling to put together even those single quarter efforts (for a number of reasons) and now the bottom is falling out.

Maybe Brisbane game, thought we’d got back to 2018 form then but that’s the only game. Cam’s post is a good one though. If I wrote a diary it would be interesting to go and look at my thoughts. I remember being quite positive last season post bye. Frustrated that we kept losing cattle during games (WCE and Rich games spring to mind) but generally thought we were moving the ball well and very competitive. I haven’t had that feeling at all the last 2 months.
I’m usually backing Bucks but he’s lost me. An interstate win against the probable flag favourites is just what he needs to get me back.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Further to the above. My expectations are sky high compared to this time last season. I expect to beat bottom 8 sides and beat them well. I expect to win more than 50% of qtrs. I expect to walk away from the game thinking we are a genuine contender. And when your side has sat 2nd for most of the season, I’m probably entitled to.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:50 pm

I agree with that Haff. Players got complacent with the ladder position.

Just give it everything we’ve got against the Eagles. Walk off the ground proud of your effort regardless if we lose. I’d rather lose a game where we played our guts out, than win a game where we skated downhill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: