Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies whack West Coast. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This win was better than some realise.

Can you imagine what the after the match sentiment would've been like, in here and in general, if they had jagged a late goal ?

Meltdown.

As it stands, we're second on the ladder and with 4 teams inside the 8 to play - Giants, Tigers, Crows and Dons - we still have challenges ahead.

But a damn sight better than a loss, last night, and resultant imminent plunge down the ladder.

More on beating the Toast. Our first quarter was excellent. With 12 goals kicked, we could've been facing an 8 or 9 goal deficit. But we held on, staying in a position to overrun them, from 16 points down, in the last - which we did.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:36 am

Well said Donny, spot on.

Crocker is also JDGs best mate... so he's got that going for him too.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:37 am

^ Well, if Cam becomes a selector, expect Broomy in the team, because he's Grundy's best mate.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:48 am

In the lead up to the game I wasn't in my mind putting unrealistic expectations on Crocker in terms of stats I hoped to see I just wanted to see some progress.

Unfortunately Ben more than any other player out on the field last night just looked scarily off the pace required for AFL.

Potentially he could improve next week but it was reminiscent of many of his performances last year in that he always looked rushed and thus under immense pressure whenever he got near it.

You couldn't question his commitment to the contest but after the game I think he even knew he had a bit of a mare.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:37 am

Donny wrote:
This win was better than some realise.

Can you imagine what the after the match sentiment would've been like, in here and in general, if they had jagged a late goal ?

Meltdown.

As it stands, we're second on the ladder and with 4 teams inside the 8 to play - Giants, Tigers, Crows and Dons - we still have challenges ahead.

But a damn sight better than a loss, last night, and resultant imminent plunge down the ladder.

More on beating the Toast. Our first quarter was excellent. With 12 goals kicked, we could've been facing an 8 or 9 goal deficit. But we held on, staying in a position to overrun them, from 16 points down, in the last - which we did.

100% this,
with injuries, stevo, and recent history weighing heavily, this was epic

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:50 am

Donny wrote:

Meltdown.

Spot on. This crossed my mind after the game, also: one unlucky bounce, and this forum is back to its "sack the coach" and "delist everyone" best.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:21 am

In a show of rare restraint, the "sack the coach" and "delist everyone" comments didn't start showing up in the "Game On" thread until about the 5 minute mark of the first quarter. Wink
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:23 am

Have watched the last quarter (replay) twice and the comments to wit “Collingwood keep bombing it in and so predictable for WCE to counter)

Well they did bomb it continues to a degree that WCE eventually had to buckle and their defence get caught out—-didn’t see or read stats but the frequency of our bombing was close to 60% of last qtr

My opinion is yes nice to have a Stevo or the like find space but we don’t got that luxury so the “bomb” irrespective of Ling and BT babble went a long way to a win
Summary. Think then commentate

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:31 am

And to add to above comment after almost half of last qtr with the long kick
and let’s call it that instead of indescriminate bombing the WCE so concentrate on Cox at 11 minute mark worry about him leaving Checkers to mark and goal

Seems like a plan😀

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:36 am

Roughhead is about as good as defender as you could ask for - Kennedy had only 5 disposals for the game and probably had a negative influence on the game if you add up the fumbles and bumbles.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:39 pm

I don't wish to run down Roughead's game (he was tremendous) but there is a serious suggestion of terminal decline in Kennedy's stats.

In 2016, he played 23 games and kicked 82.37 at 3.57 goals per game. In 2017, he played 19 games and kicked 69.39 at 3.63 goals per game. Last year, he played 14 games and kicked 43.20 at 3.07 goals per game. So far this year, he has played just one less game than last season and has 30.19 at 2.31 goals per game. Perhaps more tellingly, he is averaging under 10 disposals per game for the first time since he left Carlton (where he only played 22 games in 2 years).

He only had 7 disposals against Hawthorn in round 15, as well. He is going to turn 32 before the finals start. A statistical comparison of his 2019 with Travis' 2016 shows that Cloke averaged 5 more kicks, 3 more marks, 4 times as many inside 50s and nearly twice as many metres gained per game. In summary, he was less productive than Travis by a large margin - and Travis was dropped 3 times that year and left at the end of the season. Kennedy is a very good set shot at goal, of course, over good distance, which will keep him useful for a little longer. Hopefully, though, this is the beginning of the end of him as an AFL star.
swooper 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
That was a victory we will remember for a long time.With so many of our best players missing, in a form slump, and at half time looking like WC were about to smash us with their ball movement.But in those last 5 min of the 2nd quarter, some switch was flicked. A switch which somehow reimprinted into our DNA the diabolical pressure and will to win that we saw last year. It was those 5 minutes that turned the game around. We came out in the second half and maintained that intensity level. We applied the aggressive pressure that has been missing for a while.We hunted them down, and the will to win seized our entire team. Crisp, Greenwood and Maynard were titans in that last quarter. Sidey was there at crucial times to ensure we maintained possession. Cox was huge.JDG on the ball..what a star.The mental toughness that was required to win this game was monumental. I salute the Pies. A truly awe inspiring win.

Perfect summary. Underdogs and undermanned...that was truly a beautiful win. So proud of our boys. Let’s hope this kick starts our push into September.

Still can’t get the smile off my face 😁😁
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:57 pm

How cool was Sidey, in the last two minutes ? Smile

His mark from Checkers and his indication of a kick forward, only to turn around and kick it back to Aish, was classic Sidey.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-12/watch-the-last-two-minutes-wce-v-coll

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
matrix10 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:49 pm

Donny wrote:
How cool was Sidey, in the last two minutes ? Smile

His mark from Checkers and his indication of a kick forward, only to turn around and kick it back to Aish, was classic Sidey.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-07-12/watch-the-last-two-minutes-wce-v-coll

Sidey was amazing in the last
Cox and Mihocek marks were enormous also.
Much more enjoyable watching replay than actual game! Very Happy
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:57 pm

That sort of thing Sidey did in the heat and pressure of the game showed enormous composure
The sort of thinking thru under pressure in a big GF moment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: