Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Really missing Langdon!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:
Great talls were no match for Langdon last year. ...

Who were these "great" talls?

K, review the last 12 weeks of the season last year. go on, watch ALL of them again. I want you to tell me what the secret was to our amazing undermanned backline. Watch how few forward 50 marks the opposition take. Look for a reason. See if there is a laconic blond guy appearing out of nowhere to annihilate contests.

Then look at how many forward 50 marks there have been from the opposition these past few weeks (and see if you can identify what the difference is). see if you notice how many contests we lose these days, one out!!

<snip>

E your logic is flawed old mate
Firstly we lost Dunn in around the 2nd/3rd week of July and Scharenberg the last week of July so with finals there was around 8 weeks left not 12
Secondly modern football isn't played as a 1 man defense it's a team defence strategy. You see when our mid's were up and going well the opposition couldn't get the ball going forward in any cohesive fashion. Made life easier for our defenders.
When teams attackers push up the field to give there team mates options going forward it often results in a hacked kick forward.
The defenders set up one to each wing and one central defender
When the ball shifts to either flank the middle defender falls in on that side about 1/2 to a kick behind often result in the back kick going to him hence Langdon taking marks he was that kick behind player
All he had to remember was left from right hardly rocket science
ALL our defenders played very well through out the finals not just one
If you want to credit 1 player with basically winnings us games them be prepared to blame the same player when we lose games including the GF.
1 player never really wins or losses a game it's a team
Langdon isn't our backline general in any way shape or form
He's a part of the unit. Until he went down injured Dunn was clearly the leader of the group. Then after that Howe and Crisp took over. Maynard is the very vocal one of the group
Langdon like goldie played his role well within the unit nothing more nothing less

If you want to judge his worth use this basic test
All players are basically commodities.
A player is worth what a club will pay them
As a commodity there tradable or disposable
All last season Langdon's manager hunted a deal from the club and none was forthcoming. It took until the finals started when the club tabled a 1 year offer.
Be that right or wrong that's what the club valued him at
He was given permission to look elsewhere
Despite his managers best attempts to feed the media fake news like the Langdon to Fremantle for $650k and 4 years only Sydney granted him a interview
Our asking price wasn't high a 3rd round pick or a upgrade of our 2nd round pick so we could secure IQ and Kelly (both defenders)
At the end of the day he stayed on a 2 year deal a 3rd year option in the club favour which likley represented his finals form gaining him a extra season
Why was the club not chasing him hard in retention ?
His knee's simple as that same reason no other suitor came knocking his door down with offers
He took what was on offer from us because there was no other option
That's hardly the resume of a general of the backline

No offence E but Langdon is a player who polarises supporters some love him some tolerate him other deplore him
Depending on which camp your in is how you see his performances
Of the defenders who played over 15 games in 2018 only 1 didn't finish in the top 10 in the copeland medal Langdon
He actually finished below Scharenberg (who played half the amount of games)
He was our worst defender in terms of goals conceded per game, 1 on 1 contests lost, meters gained per game, kicking EFF, and turnovers
I get it it's easy to want to find a reason for our poor performances but it starts in the middle of the ground
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:09 am

QldMagpies. Good work as always. But boy o boy, our defense is really missing Langdon.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:50 pm

Langdon would clearly have been better than Appleby, but the problem was allowing the giants to ram the ball into their forward line so quickly. Once again, as has happened far too often this year, our midfield failed to exert sufficient pressure around the packs, and in the first quarter, our forwards could not keep the ball in our forward zone.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
And Moore. And Greenwood. And some guy named Scharenberg.

You’ve got to stop worrying about Scharenberg. He isn’t “missed” - he’s in the seconds because he is about our 15th best defender, at the moment. Seriously, he’s behind Appleby, Noble and Quaynor and hasn’t been able to get a game with our best defenders injured.

Ok we get you don't like Scharenberg but if you can't understand the club has planned his comeback for the long term then that's your issue
If I was you I would be more worried about your boy Tommy. He is at very long odds to play again this season (I've heard the club has already put a line through his name for 2019) and if he doesn't get his knee operated on his future is in doubt
He has chronic knee's that's been known for a long time. The club was only offering him a 1 year deal last season before the finals for this very reason. He got a second year on the back of a strong finals campaign playing way above his height and did well. But the facts are his knees are shot. The club wants him to get a operation his private advice from different surgeon was the if operation wasn't successful it would be career over. Langdon decided to take the time to rest it and hope it heals naturally agains the clubs wishes (but I support any player making there own decisions when it comes to there careers) now whether that works or not no one knows but really from his perspective he has nothing to lose. He wasn't going to play again this season if he had a operation so not getting it and doesn't heal he still isn't playing again in 2019. It's 2020 onwards when it becomes a issue. He off contract at the end of 2020 (the option of the 3rd year is in the clubs favour) and if he needs a operation in the off season it will delay his preseason for 2020 and if it doesn't go well then 2020 could be over before it begins for him and likely he won't be at the club beyond the end of 2020
Sydney balked at him for that very reason and likely other clubs who may have been interested would have been put off by his medical records
I feel for any player who's body lets them down a don they can't fulfil there careers but it's part of the game and many players have had to live by this before and will in the future
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:14 pm

you are both nuts (and i mean it in the nicest possible way).

Both Scharenberg and Langdon are wonderful footballers and we would be a better team having both up and running and paatrolling our backline.

Sadly for us, both of them have bad knees.

P4S - Scharenberg is a gun. If he isn't getting a game, its because we are managing his return.

Qld Magpies - the ONLY time Langdon hasn't been in our best 22 since he was drafted with pick 758 is when his knee couldn't allow him to be anywhere near his best (and believe me, he has played when the knee hasn't been great). I thought we solved the issue of how good he was last season!

I get sad when either of these great players cant get on the paddock. You each seem to revel in it.

I dont get it!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:17 pm
Post subject: Re: Really missing Langdon!!Reply with quote

E wrote:
our backline has no chemistry without Langdon.

PFS was on this a long time ago: the rest of us realized later especially last year. Now like “rip van winkle” you’ve come to the party.

Better late than never 😉

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:37 pm

I think there are still some who think he should not be captain, though, wpt. So people have not all yet appreciate his true greatness. As for e, he’s been on the Langdon bus for a long time now, since at least some time mid last season or thereabouts (maybe earlier).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:41 pm

We're going to be missing him for the rest of 2019.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-07-22/langdon-surgery

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:51 pm

Soooo...Collingwood waited for natural healing powers, again, instead of surgery, aaaand...he needs surgery after all, ending his season.

Name ONE instance where waiting vs surgery has worked at Collingwood in recent years.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:07 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Soooo...Collingwood waited for natural healing powers, again, instead of surgery, aaaand...he needs surgery after all, ending his season.

Name ONE instance where waiting vs surgery has worked at Collingwood in recent years.

Aish last year with his PCL but I agree it’s the exception to the rule.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:32 pm
Post subject: Should have traded Langdon in 2018Reply with quote

With double offers from the Dockers and Swans, we had a unique sellers market for a 24 year old Tom Langdon coming off his best season. With a pick in the low 20's looking likely at the time, we shall now have a rising 26 year old in 2020 with a degenerative knee injury that shall only make him slower. Missed opportunity.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:09 pm

If I was you I would be more worried about your boy Tommy. He is at very long odds to play again this season (I've heard the club has already put a line through his name for 2019) and if he doesn't get his knee operated on his future is in doubt

Looks like the mail was spot on hey
Waited 9 weeks for a knee operation that he hoped would heal naturally
I wonder what pressure the club has applied to him for him to give in and go under the knife

Mark it as read there is a very real chance if this operation doesn't have the desired outcome his career may be over
The damage is far worse than reported publicly by the club and he was never I repeat never going to only miss a few weeks as reported by the club
Langdon chose to get a second opinion which he is entitled to and under the circumstances no one could blame him for doing so.
The risk he was informed was major and no certainty he would play again if unsuccessful. He chose rest and wait and see.
9 weeks later we are here
He's gone for 2019 and his future won't be known until preseason starts for 2020
His knee's are completely shot and another operation is the last thing the kid needed but I guess at the end of the day rest wasn't fixing it so this is the last roll of the dice for his career
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:11 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:

This was the players choice in this instance on separate medical advice outside the club mate
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:15 pm

Bone on bone. Never a great scenario. Like your research and views QLD magpie!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:16 pm

mate can't trade a player there was no offer for
Fremantle never interviewed him at all that was all media speculation started by his manager I would guess trying to get the club to make a longer larger offer (our original was 1 year)
Sydney spoke to him but didn't go any further due to his knee issues
Harley said publicly they never made him a offer spoke to him but they didn't think he would fit there needs which is nice speak for his knees are stuffed we aren't interested
We gave in on the back of a good finals series and gave him a second year which now seems a bad decision if his knee is as bad as being touted
Time will tell mate but our club certainly has a history of keeping broken players around to long now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: