Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The good, the bad and the ugly truth about Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:53 pm
Post subject: The good, the bad and the ugly truth about CollingwoodReply with quote

OK, with 5 games to go before the finals (if we make it), I reckon it's time for a thorough review.

The Good.

We have a lot of high end talent, with Grundy, Pendles, Treloar, Howe, Adams, Roughead, Sidey, De Goey, Crisp and Maynard.

Other good players are the exciting Quaynor, Mihocek and Phillips.

The Bad

Players who are not yet good enough imo. These are the one's who would be dropped, if we had players available to replace them.

Sier has the talent, but is not doing enough. he's built like a Grissly bear but plays like a Panda.

Brown is developing, but goes missing for too long in games, and lacks polish in his disposals.

WHE is an incredible talent, but does not contribute near enough.

Thomas has been dropped because he was not doing near enough.

Daics has had chances, but has failed to grasp his opportunities so far. Time might be running out for him. His main problem is a lack of leg speed, and being a dwarf.

The Ugly

I don't care what the stats say, Mason Cox has gone significantly backwards this year. His inconsistency means he cannot be relied upon to contribute much at all. Most weeks it means we play with a player short.

The ugly truth is that both Moore and Elliott (no fault of their own) don't seem to be able to withstand the rigors of AFL footy. If they were both flying, we would be a 5 goal better side each week, but sadly, this seems but a pipe dream.

The most ugly factor however, imo, is that we are a pretty soft side. I hate to say it but we only have 4 hard players in our team - Grundy, Maynard, Adams and De Goey. Obviously we also have Goldsack who is hard as phuck, but he seems to be a VFL player now. Varcoe too is no longer a regular senior player and seems to be fading before our eyes. Too many of our other players rarely smash their bodies into opponents and too often lay sloppy tackles.

The other ugly factor imo, is that we have too many dwarfs in our side. Having small/short players is fine if they are as hard as phuck or as fast as grease lightning.

The upshot

On our day we can beat anyone, as we did against the Eagles. However, it seems that our team has to some how psyche itself into a frenetic state to bring the necessary intensity to win big games. This hardness and intensity is clearly NOT in the natural DNA of our side. Looking at our VFL side, there is no hardness coming through. So our improvement (if it is to come), has to come from within our current team. Whether Bucks and the coaching staff can do this in time, remains to be seen. I'm skeptical but hopeful.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Add Crisp to our hard nuts. His physicality when put in the midfield is huge. Howe can take it, and so can Aish he doesn't shirk from a contest.

Our problem is centre clearances. Our mids there are too easily outmuscled/blocked/held. We need to throw Crisp and JDG more often in the middle for centre bounces. Put Treloar forward for those times. Play Varcoe as a permanent forward pocket, his days chasing the ball around the ground are numbered, he'd kick 2-3 every week and loves to tackle -- one thing missing from our forwards, pressure, the ball gets out too easily.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:09 pm

Good points Miyagi. We have other brave players, who put their bodies on the line, and Crisp and Aish do that, but I guess I'm more talking about players who smash opponents and put fear into the opposition. On that score, I should have listed Varcoe, but sadly he is slowing down and does not get to enough contests anymore.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:21 pm

You forgot to mention Levi as one of the tough nuts Rudeboy.

Mr Miyagi wrote:

Our problem is centre clearances. Our mids there are too easily outmuscled/blocked/held. We need to throw Crisp and JDG more often in the middle for centre bounces. Put Treloar forward for those times. Play Varcoe as a permanent forward pocket, his days chasing the ball around the ground are numbered, he'd kick 2-3 every week and loves to tackle -- one thing missing from our forwards, pressure, the ball gets out too easily.

Really like these suggestions. The Crisp, JDG one has already been mentioned and I reckon that Treloar would be better with his disposal as an outside player. Varcoe as a forward pocket player has a lot of merit.

We perhaps have only one or two more games to jiggle the side around though and then it needs to become a bit more settled from week to week, (excepting injuries of course).
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Yeah good point Rudey, we need players the opposition fear. Not just their skills and getting the ball, but fear of getting hurt. I saw a Giants player think twice when Crisp was coming at the ball. But geez, North saw our weakness and smashed us. GWS the same. I saw Jonathon Brown on an ad and that is the kind of fear we need. Thing is, our players would get suspended the moment they glare at someone.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm
Post subject: Re: The good, the bad and the ugly truth about CollingwoodReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Other good players ... Mihocek ...

WHE is an incredible talent, but does not contribute near enough.

I've no idea how you can think Mihocek is contributing more than WHE.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Mihocek has been terrific all year, despite being very quiet yesterday.

I really love WHE, but he doesn't do enough imo, and his tackles rarely stick.

PyreneesPie, you are absolutely correct about Greenwood. Brain fade on my part. He is actually our hardest player by far.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:52 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Mihocek has been terrific all year,...

Shocked He's doing his best, but the forward line hasn't worked all year and he never plays outside the forward line, so ...

It's never a good sign when the coach has to come out and defend a player (as he did a while back) with a defence based on "all the little things that others don't notice".

And there's a lot of media talk about him being behind Reid (e.g. "he would have been dropped if Reid weren't injured").

But his game against WC was good.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:26 pm

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Mihocek has been terrific all year,...

Shocked He's doing his best, but the forward line hasn't worked all year and he never plays outside the forward line, so ...

It's never a good sign when the coach has to come out and defend a player (as he did a while back) with a defence based on "all the little things that others don't notice".

And there's a lot of media talk about him being behind Reid (e.g. "he would have been dropped if Reid weren't injured").

But his game against WC was good.

We can’t have it both ways ( although plenty do 😉 )
We have continued to bag our midfield relentlessly since the bye and then lump our forwards in the same boat when we don’t kick a winning score.
Forwards are nothing more than a by product of what has or hasn’t happened up the ground.
Generally when our mids are on top, Miochek is a solid contributor.
Cox is different. He is out of form and low on confidence. His form is a huge concern because he does provide a chop out in the ruck ( kinda )
If he was to be dropped, you almost need to find two player types to replace him, although Lynch is the obvious like for like.
Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:15 pm

Cox often attempts marks clearly with only one arm.
Looks frustrating and ridiculous.
But is this him being shithouse or is he being impeded illegally each time and not rewarded?

Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:28 pm

We have played 7 solid competitive quarters out of the last 8 since Haw loss when we were likely looking at 3 more in a row. The only shit quarter yesterday cost the game. Rest was goal for goal and if spread across the 4 quarters would have finished in a 14-15 goal each cliffhanger. The first quarter shocked everybody like last prelim; no one saw it coming. Freakish and bloody hard to overcome.
Buckleys simple diagnosis last night and as inconsistency which makes sense since Eagles turnaround.
I therefore believe our cup is closer to full than empty.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm

The Good—100% effort every minute, quarter,game is Crisp
Mentioned by every media guy by every Pie supporter

The Bad —by his example we see many of his teammates below that 100% in various stages

The Ugly —because not all on same page our Win to Loss suffers

Another Ugly is loosing heart —we must be 100% Good on that

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:37 pm

WHE too often hardly touches it until half time as a forward, gets moved down back or onto a wing, starts to get it and finally has enough dash to run forward and nail a goal or two from an advantageous position [hardly ever from a lead].

We are playing three players short for a half when he, Varcoe and Browny are doing similar things. They add up to one good player.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Kill for Collingwood wrote:
Cox often attempts marks clearly with only one arm.
Looks frustrating and ridiculous.
But is this him being shithouse or is he being impeded illegally each time and not rewarded?

I think there's an element of confidence and positioning. If he thinks he can catch it, he'll try. If he thinks he's not in a great position to catch it, he tries to bring it to ground, palming it to our advantage.

bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:44 pm

Cox is a real worry. He looks like he's not trying out there. He needs to be doing a lot more work off the ball so he can get a clear path to the ball. At the moment he's just standing around. You can't blame the mids for bombing i t on his head if he's just going to stand there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: