Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In defence of Appleby

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:13 pm
Post subject: In defence of ApplebyReply with quote

He didn't select himself, and he was out-sized by more experienced players. It's on the selection committee, coaches, and players (our mids mostly). I feel a bit for the kid actually, this would have scarred him.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he didn't ping his hamstring, right? That's always a bonus at Collingwood.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:39 pm

He was in every GWS replayed goal in the first quarter running with the flight, 10-20m from his opponent. WTF was that all about???
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Nothing on the kid at all, he's not to blame. Our defenders fight hard every week, last night we were exposed but only because the midfield was bloody pathetic and Hercules wouldn't have been able to prop up that dam wall. It is everything to do with our midfield brigade, they do their job and keep the opposition mids under pressure then our defense can stay in position and cut off slow moving, hack fly balls. Our defenders are built for versatility, agility and run, not one on one defense, they are not big enough for that role. Our lazy, soft midfield is all to blame, except for Grundy of course, he does everything and more. It all starts and ends with your midfield group and what they decide to do. If you can't play with aggressive attack at the ball carrier and want to sit off the opposition which we are doing 3 weeks out of 4 then prepare to lose.

MONCO: Your life.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Watching the highlights this morning was brutal.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm

The fault lies with the selection committee. Goldsack should have been selected. What we needed was hardness and he has that in spades.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm hoping Appleby was sedated on the flight home last night and this morning was told it was all a bad dream.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm

It’s Nicks, everyone knows you can’t have a Collingwood loss without the mandatory scapegoat or whipping boy. Crocker and Brown both kicked two each, so the focus had to shift quickly this week.
We never got our hands on the footy in the first qtr. That’s where we lost it, not because a rookie playing in his first game of the year, stood a player who had both weight and height on him.
He was poor but he wasn’t alone.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Crocker was hopeless. As was Appleby. Neither are AFL footballers.

IQ will be a player. Very exciting to see him get going a few times out there.

Brown will need to develop into a 4 quarter player as his next evolution, but he is definitely AFL standard.

themonk 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:37 pm

E wrote:
Crocker was hopeless. As was Appleby. Neither are AFL footballers.

IQ will be a player. Very exciting to see him get going a few times out there.

Brown will need to develop into a 4 quarter player as his next evolution, but he is definitely AFL standard.

absolutely spot on!
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm

Appleby looks like a good kid. My concern is that he's not a good kick. In his position he needs to the player that can not only run and create but lace at a player in the middle of the ground.
The bigger concern is why can't the coaches at the club see this, and work on players' kicking skills? It's the same sh#t at Collingwood forever. We are just too dumb or pig-headed to understand the nuances of the game, and insightful enough to know what each players' deficiencies are and how to fix them. Taylor Adams is a case in point. I would say that he will lose a GF for us one day with this kicking, but he's done that already.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:24 pm

This match was not lost because of Appleby. Applelby is fine and has a good many attirbutes to make him firsts material. To single him out from yesterdays game shows a remarkable lack of understanding.

We got smashed in the Midfield. We were piss weak there. This not only included the obvious centre clearances but the rebound out of our forward line too.

Appleby was mismatched. Most players lowered their colours & the fact the ball was down there so much means we got to see Appleby mismatched far too often: not the kids fault at all.

Put him in a team with say: Langdon, Greenwood and Moore as well as other missing players then we can gauge his worth. The ball was coming in quicker than dummy spits on Nicks during the match. Context here is everything and mentioning Appleby without the context noted above is simply pointless....in my humble opinion.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I prefer my old thread " Defending Dane Swan".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

3rd degree wrote:
I prefer my old thread " Defending Dane Swan".

He'll never make it. Too slow, can't kick, can't read the play and a bad trainer. Will be lucky to play 30 games, I reckon. Wink
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:26 pm

Understand the frustration around Appleby, but the coaching staff threw him to the wolves. It was evident early on we made a selection blunder to have him match up on players who are 10cm taller than him.

He was a decent player and a serviceable contributor last year but the hamstring injury against Essendon stopped him in his tracks. Whether he can return to the form of last year is uncertain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: