Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is it too late to push for the flag in 2019?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:44 pm
Post subject: Is it too late to push for the flag in 2019?Reply with quote

This season is wide open. And we are going to finish the round in 4th position. But can we stay in the top 4?

Fans of Geelong, Eagles, Lions, Tigers, Giants and Bombers all think they are a chance to win the flag from here. Collingwood fans think it's all over, as do Crows fans. There is no standout team, but only 2 teams can play in the GF.

Have we got enough time to get it all back together again and have a shot at the flag?

I felt like absolute crap after losing yesterday. But only a week earlier, I felt like the Pies were back after an epic win in Perth. It's a bloody roller coaster. If we can get over the line against Richmond, we'll all feel A LOT better. And maybe we'll believe again.

Something that we all seem to learn and then forget again is this; A week is a long time in footy. There's 5 games left in the season. It's not over, not yet. But I feel like we really need to beat the Tigers to cement our top 4 spot. I'm feeling the pressure.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah have to beat the Tigers.
It was always, must win 2 of the games v WCE, GWS & Richmond.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:44 pm

I reckon we'll still finish in the top 4 even if we lose to the Tigers, as long as we win our remaining 4 games. Winning 15 games for the season should secure a top 4 spot. If we can't get back to 2nd, I hope we finish 4th, thus avoiding an interstate final in week one.

We will have to improve considerably if we are to win 4 of our remaining 5 games. Right now we risk falling out of the top 4 completely.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:27 pm

We’ve turned it on in finals before after lacklustre ends to the home and away season (2002 and 2007 come to mind in particular), so it’s all about a) making it and b) playing well in Week 1. Do that and we’re as much a chance as anyone.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:41 pm

I think we need to be a bit cooler about what's happening at the moment. Collingwood can't win - and doesn't have to win - every game. Much of the down that we've been experiencing is about player absences and the lack of stable selection. It was certainly disappointing that the team performed so badly yesterday with Adams and Howe back in the side but there has been a lot of instability and the team will be better when those guys get back to playing familiar footy with their team-mates. Meanwhile, we are carrying a few guys at the moment who aren't - or no longer are - up to AFL standard or are being asked to perform in inappropriate roles. Mayne, Cek, Crocker, Cox and Appleby were, for the most part, horrible. I'm not putting lines through people's names because some players may be better than they are showing. Even so, I think our talent is presently spread way too thin. Any of those five can play in the team but I don't think we can have all 5 in it together, week in week out.

Varcoe, on the other hand, looks to me to be completely done.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:01 pm

We’ll be 7th next week.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 pm

[quote="Pies4shaw"]I think we need to be a bit cooler about what's happening at the moment. Collingwood can't win - and doesn't have to win - every game. Much of the down that we've been experiencing is about player absences and the lack of stable selection. It was certainly disappointing that the team performed so badly yesterday with Adams and Howe back in the side but there has been a lot of instability and the team will be better when those guys get back to playing familiar footy with their team-mates. Meanwhile, we are carrying a few guys at the moment who aren't - or no longer are - up to AFL standard or are being asked to perform in inappropriate roles. Mayne, Cek, Crocker, Cox and Appleby were, for the most part, horrible. I'm not putting lines through people's names because some players may be better than they are showing. Even so, I think our talent is presently spread way too thin. Any of those five can play in the team but I don't think we can have all 5 in it together, week in week out.

Well said. There’s always the “ last player picked “ in every team and we have about five of them right now. If we didn’t have a dozen or so injuries, they wouldn’t be playing. It’s really that simple.
(Having said that, I don’t agree with your thoughts on Miochek but that’s only one player. He was poor against Giants but pulled 10 coaches votes the week before )
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
We’ll be 7th next week.

Agree but I’d expect us to win the last 4 whilst getting players back.
I can’t write us off yet but I’ve got the sack the coach bus ready.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:36 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
I think we need to be a bit cooler about what's happening at the moment. Collingwood can't win - and doesn't have to win - every game. Much of the down that we've been experiencing is about player absences and the lack of stable selection. It was certainly disappointing that the team performed so badly yesterday with Adams and Howe back in the side but there has been a lot of instability and the team will be better when those guys get back to playing familiar footy with their team-mates. Meanwhile, we are carrying a few guys at the moment who aren't - or no longer are - up to AFL standard or are being asked to perform in inappropriate roles. Mayne, Cek, Crocker, Cox and Appleby were, for the most part, horrible. I'm not putting lines through people's names because some players may be better than they are showing. Even so, I think our talent is presently spread way too thin. Any of those five can play in the team but I don't think we can have all 5 in it together, week in week out.

Well said. There’s always the “ last player picked “ in every team and we have about five of them right now. If we didn’t have a dozen or so injuries, they wouldn’t be playing. It’s really that simple.
(Having said that, I don’t agree with your thoughts on Miochek but that’s only one player. He was poor against Giants but pulled 10 coaches votes the week before )

We had similar in last years GF. Back then it was one soldier goes out, one comes in. It's 95% between the ears.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:

It's 95% between the ears.

Absolutely it is! Observing the "caretaker coach effect" shows that.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:34 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

It's 95% between the ears.

Absolutely it is! Observing the "caretaker coach effect" shows that.

Sack Bucks now, team plays with flair and daring, win flag. Sounds like a plan!

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:37 pm

Absolutely, Geelong could be found to be over the cap, the Eagles found to have engaged in mass doping and the rest of the competition all suspended and we win as last team standing...
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Question is we were a goal away from winning the flag last year. Forgetting Beams for a minute as he wasn’t at the club, so who has improved us from 2018?

Roughead, Grundy, Crisp, C Brown and Aish have progressed but how many more?

There is a fair list that have regressed from last year. I can’t see hanging us hanging on in the top 4 unless we win 15 games. GC and Melb would be the only ones I would pencil in, we have a shitload of improving to be done and little time to do it. Unfortunately I don’t like our chances.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:39 pm

Throughout the season, West Coast, GWS, Richmond, Essendon have been written off. Now all 4 are premiership fancies.

The Lions were not really given a chance until the last couple weeks.

Now some people are doubting Geelong and Collingwood is starting to be written off.

When looking at the top 8, I think any of those teams could beat the other. There is no real stand out right now. So, who in the top 8 can we not beat between now and the end of September?

Geelong - Having a slump of their own. If we finish in the top 4, it's very possible we'll cross paths. At our best, we can do it.

Brisbane - I think are the weakest team in the top 4. Got over the line against North because of an umpire error. And if you look at their draw, they haven't beaten anyone significant apart from GWS and the WCE in round 1. That'll have to change if they want to go deep. Getting to play suns twice and having to wait until the final two rounds to play Cats and Tigers. Would hate to have to go to the Gabba, but can be beaten at the 'G.

West Coast - Well we did it in Perth only 2 weeks ago. I dont know if we could do that again. Even in Melbourne, they'll be tough to get over.

Richmond - We'll know on Friday night. Both sides seem different since we beat them in round 2. If we beat them on Friday, we can beat them in September too.

GWS - Embarrassed us on Saturday. That wont happen again, especially at the 'G.

Essendon - We narrowly won on Anzac Day and have the chance to beat them again in round 23. They've been lucky in the last month, but have become a different side since the start of the year. Are they any better than us tho?

Adelaide - We'll get a chance to beat them over there in a few weeks.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:00 pm

Biggest loss for the year:

Geelong: 24 vs Hawks.

Brisbane: 62 vs Collingwood.

West Coast: 58 vs Cats

Collingwood: 47 vs GWS.

Richmond: 67 vs Cats.

GWS: 52 vs WCE.

Essendon: 72 vs GWS.

Adelaide: 57 vs Port.

Everyone has copped a belting at some point this year, except for the Cats. Some teams have been belted a few times. But I guess it's all about hitting form at the right time.

All these teams have played the Suns apart from Essendon (this week) and Collingwood (next week). GWS and Brisbane get them for a second game. Crows have already had them twice for a combined 168 point win.

Our silly losses to Freo and Hawthorn starting to bite us. But we have time to turn it around.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: