Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Dons. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always an absurdity to the thru haven’t beaten anyone argument as you can only ever only beat who you play. Not sure we could have been more convincing last outing and I reckon Moore, de Goey and Stevo would get a game in any team in the 8 so pretty handy ins. Reality is, last 3 years some teams did very well because they had a heap of games against the lower performing teams. Oh to play the suns twice. I feel like we are getting closer to that form of the first part of the season; and I think to go deep into sept you need a dominant half back line. Ours isn’t looking too bad.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:24 pm

Full team in OP. In Moore. Out Sidey.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:26 pm

It’s true that we’re not in amazing form, but we’re not playing worse than GWS, and Geelong are probably about on par with us. Richmond, Brisbane, West Coast, Hawthorn and the Bulldogs are the form teams at the moment, but at least one of those last two won’t even play finals, and who knows how long the others will keep it up. I was genuinely worried after the lacklustre Melbourne win, but we were brilliant against Adelaide – it’s one thing to beat an out-of-form team, another to absolutely smash them at their home ground. If we go into the finals with four straight wins, then that’s about the best formline you could hope for.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 pm

The bombers have been absolutely decimated with injury at tonight’s selection.
We can’t ask for anything more. Even if we’re only half fairdinkum, it should be a pretty comfortable win.

Go Lions !!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

No real surprises here! Roughead named FF, Moore CHB. Daicos probably the only emergency in the mix for selection over the coming weeks.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Pete 70 wrote:
There is always an absurdity to the thru haven’t beaten anyone argument as you can only ever only beat who you play. Not sure we could have been more convincing last outing and I reckon Moore, de Goey and Stevo would get a game in any team in the 8 so pretty handy ins. Reality is, last 3 years some teams did very well because they had a heap of games against the lower performing teams. Oh to play the suns twice. I feel like we are getting closer to that form of the first part of the season; and I think to go deep into sept you need a dominant half back line. Ours isn’t looking too bad.

Love this comment.Thanks Pete.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm

My first impression of Jack Magden at the Sydney game was less than encouraging

Then the game last week whilst he seems a bit off AFl his game was not too bad

So Jack good luck and keep plugging away mate

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
We can’t ask for anything more. Even if we’re only half fairdinkum, it should be a pretty comfortable win.

Go Lions !!

No they haven’t. They’re simply resting all players that have been playing with niggles. Only chance they have of staying in Melb week one is to lose tomorrow night.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pete 70 wrote:

Love this comment.Thanks Pete.

We have conceded the third least points of any team (just one point more than the second best Hawks). Not too shabby.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 pm

The Bombers sealed their September spot last week with a road victory over Fremantle, but will be without David Zaharakis, Dyson Heppell, Jake Stringer and Orazio Fantasia in the final round. (AFL website)
Hell, that is injury carnage even worse than ours. Their midfield is decimated. If we can't dominate in this area of the ground, then we will struggle in September. Loss of Fantasia and Stringer also pretty significant, as it means we have few smaller type forwards to worry about, and the added height with Madgen and Moore becomes an even more perfect match for Essendon's F50.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:45 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Go Lions !!

No they haven’t. They’re simply resting all players that have been playing with niggles. Only chance they have of staying in Melb week one is to lose tomorrow night.

Might be the case I guess, but if it gives us a walkover win that is fantastic on two fronts:
a) If Richmond or WC lose, we get top 4
b) If we stay 5th, we play them again in an Elimination, and a walkover victory is never easily dispensed with psychologically, whatever the circumstances (cf us against Geelong in the last round of 2011).

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:48 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Go Lions !!

Such a cynic, R H 😉
Then they can rest them all they like. If it helps us to win this week, then at least our chances at making the top four improve.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:30 pm

Meh, they're resting a few... so are we; JDG, Stevo, Sidey, Wells & Aish.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:04 pm

Smart play with selection by Essendon and their best hope of winning an elimination final.

They have nothing to gain from securing victory as it would only guarantee an interstate elimination final.

They've taken the opportunity to omit some quality players who could do with an extended rest and if we do as hope and produce a comfortable win tomorrow then this could lead to some complacency on our part if as anticipated we meet again in 2 weeks time as that Essendon side will be a stronger 22.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Historically, this approach does not work. Complacency does not kick in during finals. A heavy loss does create a cloud though. This is on the historical record.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: