Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

To the Zillennials: A Warning

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucking awesome 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

People say the only thing better than beating Carlton is beating them by 1 point.

The only thing better than beating Carlton is beating them by 100 points (or a stick)

Ive taught my daughter that it is wrong to hate anyone or anything

EXCEPT

Hating the Blues is mandatory and encouraged

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:02 pm

I feel we are poorer for not having a the rivalry and missing out when they are not providing a contest.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:21 pm

I have rarely been so happy recently as when Robbie Gray's goal sailed through after the siren to down Carlton on the weekend. A few seconds later the text went out to my Carlton supporting mate. His 19 year old son, also a Carlton supporter, doesn't understand why I hate Carlton so much and why I take such joy in stamping on a lowly team.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:17 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I have rarely been so happy recently as when Robbie Gray's goal sailed through after the siren to down Carlton on the weekend. A few seconds later the text went out to my Carlton supporting mate. His 19 year old son, also a Carlton supporter, doesn't understand why I hate Carlton so much and why I take such joy in stamping on a lowly team.

I agree with the first bit but disagree with sending out a text. It's a shit feeling when so called "friends" send you a text after a loss.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:24 pm

I posted similar concerns back in March 're this. We older Nicksters have been dealing with the Carltonavirus for years.
It proved a much more virulent strain during the 80's and 90's however like most outbreaks it died down and new threats emerged, but the memory lingers. 1979 & 1981 particularly bad years...

The good thing is at the moment they can't gather in numbers.

think better 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Reminds me of another scary story

"After 500 years of peace in Middle-earth, Sauron began to make his move."

I know we have recruited some Hobbits over the years - now is their time

RickyWatt23 Sagittarius

RickyWatt23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:32 pm

Great post Cam! For me a good weekend is when we win but a great weekend only comes when we win and Carlton lose!
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:26 pm

Think Richmond. 30+ years of laughter, but now 2 flags and 5038104 Billion Million Trillion loyal supporters.

Carlton still have some mountains to climb, but yeah they finally look like they're on the way up.

Lets just win a few more flags before they do!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:35 pm

I hope this won't get me "cancelled", but I actually don't mind Carlton and find myself barracking for them most weeks in neutral matches – the underdog effect, I guess. It's been a long time since I've felt any hatred for them; I did when I was a kid, but that was, what, late '90s/2000?

Of course if they become a powerhouse again it'll be a different story, and they'd better not make it to flag 17 before we do. Evil or Very Mad

bucking awesome 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:49 pm

DAvid - you are dead to me and many others I suspect

Surely you had a chuckle (or 12) when Robbie Gray kicked truly

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Credit where it is due, Carlton finaly stop picking up GWS rejects and picking up suburban players with top 20.picks Bliane Bokhurst and Dylan Van-Rainbow (I think his name was, anyway not sure what Mathouse was thinking).

They are building a talented list and they will be a rival again soon enough... we must be prepaid for some close battles.

They have a few lads I would love to see in the back and white: Cripps, McKay, Walsh,
Sam Petrevski-Seton (just to name a few)....we can dangle package up JT and Blair for a straight trade for Wash at seasons end Razz.

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:31 pm

David wrote:
I hope this won't get me "cancelled", but I actually don't mind Carlton and find myself barracking for them most weeks in neutral matches – the underdog effect, I guess. It's been a long time since I've felt any hatred for them; I did when I was a kid, but that was, what, late '90s/2000?

Of course if they become a powerhouse again it'll be a different story, and they'd better not make it to flag 17 before we do. Evil or Very Mad

I will second you. I don't like them beating us. At the same time they deserved to beat Port.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:47 pm

bucking awesome wrote:
DAvid - you are dead to me and many others I suspect

Surely you had a chuckle (or 12) when Robbie Gray kicked truly

Laughing No, I was actually hoping he'd miss! For one thing, it would have meant we'd have the opportunity to go top of the ladder next week, as opposed to being six points adrift. Also, how funny would that have been after Dixon, Gray and Marshall all missed sitters beforehand. (I would love to see a proper replay of that Marshall one – must go down as one of the all-time great football fails, particularly in the context of the match*.)

*Though who could forget this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSuNX4R37Mo (thankfully, I think we won this one too!)

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:52 pm

David wrote:

You deserve to be tag team turkey slapped by Laurence Angwin and Stephen Kernahan.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:29 pm

My all time favourite home and away game was the Pies v Carlton in round 14 of 1988. What a magnificent game and victory that was.

https://youtu.be/GcHdDPc6duM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: