Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Calling Mark Keane

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:23 pm
Post subject: Calling Mark KeaneReply with quote

By this time tomorrow, we'll have a new player (possibly 2) on the list via the MSD. All signs point to the club taking a key position defender.

However, what if we also bring back the 194cm, 22 year old from Ireland?

Had he remained with the club, chances are he'd be playing most weeks due to our need for KPP's at both ends.

One thing to keep in mind here is that he is still on our list. He and Wilson being Cat B rookies cannot be replaced in the MSD anyway. Those picks will be coming in after Rougheads retirement and Kruegers LTI.

We could certainly use another tall defensive option and is a no brainer to take him back if he is open to the return.

I hope the club has put the call out.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 7:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brother of Knees. Very Happy

Got more ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:16 am

^ I agree Presti. I thought Keane showed some potential and would be worth a phone call. He would need to show some real enthusiam to return, though. I wouldn't go begging.

And Donny, that "Brother of Knees" comment has gone right over my head. Care to explain?

piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:49 am

I'm a pass. Time to move on...
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:49 pm

He had his shorts pulled down the last time he played, and he’s been so long out of the game he’d need a year to catch up with his fitness. He ain’t coming back except for a holiday. Hard pass. There’s no future in the past, move forward.
npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:30 pm

^^ A 21 year old international rookie in his 5th game of senior game of football played poorly? Hardly surprising.

Keane's development curve was steadily climbing. If it had continued at that rate he would have made the grade.

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:02 pm

npalm wrote:
Keane's development curve was steadily climbing. If it had continued at that rate he would have made the grade.

I don't know that any of us can predict that players will make the grade:
Jack Anthony, Brett James, Chad Liddell, Tristan Walker, Lee Walker, Chris Egan, Brad Dick, Aaron James, Terry Keays, Brent Tuckey, Dannie Seow, Trent Hotton, Sean Rusling, Lee Walker, Heath Shepard, Tom Davidson and of course Jaidyn Stephenson all say hi!

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:52 pm

I understand the issue of homesickness but, from the article, it seems we put a shitload of time and effort into this kid and didn't get much love back:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/754544/id-love-to-come-back-irish-ex-pie-mark-keane-open-to-afl-return
Quote:
The Magpies tried to be as accommodating as possible for Keane over summer, but it got to the point where GM Graham Wright was chasing him....

Quote:
After putting so much time and effort into him – just like they had with Mason Cox – many inside the football department at the AIA Centre were disappointed Keane decided to turn his back on the final year of his contract...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:53 pm

Seems like he was a victim of Covid lockdowns. It would have accentuated his homesickness. A shame he left us.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Being that he is still on our list, it essentially costs us nothing bar the cost of a flight from Ireland.

We need all the help we can get in defence. Even if he played the second half of a VFL season, it's better to have that option than to not.

Sure, there'd be questions over his fitness, but still worth the phone call.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:33 pm

Would be nice to bring him back now after all the talls were taken in the MSD.
E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:55 am

Just spent a week in Ireland playing golf down at Hogs head which is an amazing treat. While i was there is saw the all Ireland final. There are some absolutely amazing footballers playing there. the Kerry team is loaded with guys who should be playing AFL. Problem is that they are all so proud to live and play in Ireland. They are stars and they are adored. Why would you leave? Most of them have zero interest. The established players have zero Australian aspirations.

However, i also had a few up and coming Gaelic players as my caddy and they are all fully knowledgeable of our game and really excited to maybe follow in the footsteps of other. Pearce Handley seems to be their most admired player (didn’t even know he was Irish to be honest).

I think the real focus is to find the young talent here and retrain them early enough that AFL is their natural sport. Too late to convert the older guys. Probably needs boots on the ground if you are serious.

And just to get back to the topic. Based in my discussions here, Keene is not coming back. And probably isn’t in the top 30 talent wise here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: