Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#26 Reef McInnes

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The General wrote:
I think if Ollie Henry leaves, Reef will fill his spot nicely. What exactly that spot is, is anyone's guess.

Well Ollie Henry has left, so it looks like this could well be the case. It would be great to see Reef vying for this position

npalm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:18 am

I would have thought we have a real need to develop him as a midfielder. In two years time Pendlebury and Sidebottom will be gone and Adams, Crisp, and Mitchell will be over thirty. While Naicos will replace Pendlebury we need some other young midfielders to come on as well. Macrae may turn out OK but he really hasn't shown much so far.
If McInnes can't break in to the senior side at the start of the season, I would rather see him playing in the midfield in the twos than the forward line.

Out of interest, can any of the track watchers tell me who the six midfielders are during match simulation?

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:34 pm

Reef showed some real flashes of his potential during the pre-season, with his ability in finding separation from his opponent, and that was clearly on display as he came on last Friday.

He was often touted as a potential 1st rounder post his apprentiship through our NGA program.
Collingwood was thrilled the Next Generation Academy prospect lasted to pick No. 23 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, with the highly-rated midfielder originally touted as a top-10 pick. While McInnes has lofty expectations, his first year in the system was cruelled by injury as he struggled for continuity. Still came close to AFL selection and should feature in 2022.

As one of our more erudite posters Pies2016 has succintly pointed out through several posts -

Quote:
We need to be very patient with McInnes because his age has been lost amongst this conversation. He was the youngest player selected in his draft and if he had been born 2 weeks later, he would have been selected a year later in amongst the 2021 N Daicos draft. Right now we still have a 194cm teenager who is growing into his body.

Quote:
The AFL is a graveyard of former 192cm mid field talents who dominate U18s but come crashing back to earth in the AFL.

By Josh Gabelich @AFLcomau
Quote:
Emerging forward Reef McInnes kicked two goals after being injected into round one after half-time to replace Howe and is expected to hold his spot in the 23.

McRae said the Magpies would like to reward the 20-year-old with a spot in the 22 following an impressive finish to the pre-season where the Oakleigh Chargers product made a late charge to put himself in senior selection contention.

"It is affirmation for his pre-season. I said this leading into the game, we would like to reward him with more than just the sub. This week who knows, we haven't picked the team yet. He might be the sub again, can you keep that to yourself?," he said with another cheeky grin.

"Time will tell what we do with the team. He can come on and he can impact. His height is deceptive; he is the same height as 'Checkers' [Brody Mihocek] and slightly smaller than McStay. He is a weapon. He can mark the ball and he is aggressive."

Source :
https://www.afl.com.au/news/887114/frampton-comes-alive-pies-recruit-earns-call-up

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:17 pm

^ At the G never realised his height but this was noticeable on the Kayo replay’s: certainly never realised he was the same height as Mihocek. Just needs to improve his field kicking and we have a (potential) ripper on our hands.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 pm

Only seen him 2 or 3 times but I really like the way this kid moves. Looks a natural, and a good size too
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:47 pm

IIRC the knock on the kid in his draft year was his stamina. He's KP size, no reason we can't play him forward until he develops the tank to take on midfield roles, similar to Degoey.

If/when he's dropped to the VFL, play him midfield and forward.

He's explosive, tall, can mark and can kick straight. I'm a fan of the kid.

rambler 

rambler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:36 pm

Fly in todays presser mentioned that he comes in on Sundays to do extra work. Seems the kid really wants to succeed.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:31 pm

Reef McInnes will only be 21 come the start of the 2024 season. Seems like he's been around for the Club for a decade.
We've got him listed as 194cm and 90kg. He has that pace, wondering if he could hit the tin and add on another 5kg and get to Jeremy Cameron size.

Quote:
We need to be very patient with McInnes because his age has been lost amongst this conversation. He was the youngest player selected in his draft and if he had been born 2 weeks later, he would have been selected a year later in amongst the 2021 N Daicos draft. Right now we still have a 194cm teenager who is growing into his body.

As highlighted earlier ^. Might he be the one to emerge post his 4th pre-season to give us more selection headaches. If he continues to hit the tin, he might yet take on Checkers / Cameron type proportions by the time he's 25.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:48 pm

Fingers crossed with Reef... one of my favorite upside players.

Have we seen these before? Yes.

Athletic and skilled, he has his shining moments during a game.

To use those skills at a maximum and to reach his full potential, I'm sure they are teaching him how to contribute in different ways when out there for a full four quarters.

Cameron sets a good precedent; if Reef comes close to that, it would be a hoot.
Kingsofclutch 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:05 pm

Too good for the Magoos, strutting round kicking handfuls, thought he might be that big bodied mid for the future but he's too good up front and a perfect size for the 3rd tall forward.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:13 pm

At still only 20 years old and 194cm, he’s still got time on his side.
It would seem the club made a decision on his best position by playing him as a deep forward in 2023. If that is the case, then he’s still learning that position, given he played predominantly as a high half forward in the U18s.
He's still pretty much a blank canvas but he will need a big pre season if he’s to get more senior opportunities in 2024 ( injuries aside )
Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:00 pm

I think that the two key forwards of McStay & Mihocek are locked into the teams best 23 for the start of next season. The option for a third tall forward would appear to be a battle between Ash Johnson and Reef McInnes. It will be a tough team for Johnson and/or McInnes to break into but hopefully that will result in high standards being met and competition for spots bringing out the best in all the players. Then of course there is the ever present potential of having to cover for injuries.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the development of Johnson, probably at his peak already but may develop more consistency if he gets another good pre-season into him and gets some continuity at the highest level, and McInnes seems to be a good size for his age with terrific speed and a good shot at goal.
Hopefully he too continues to develop and add another avenue to score in a forward line brimming with goal kicking talent. Very Happy

Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:35 pm

Reef McInnes is an interesting prospect for Collingwood this coming season. I don't think he has ever displayed any skill for contested marking so he is only going to be a leading forward at best. That puts him into the same position as Jamie Elliot and so perhaps he is simply going to be a depth player in case Elliot gets injured or looses form dramatically.
I don't think I have seen McInnes demonstrate that he is capable of applying high sustained levels of defensive pressure as a forward, which Schultz and McCreery do so well at and his speed doesn't enable him to break away from defenders as well as Bobby Hill so it's going to be tough for Reef to break into the team this season.
That said I think his form in second half of last years VFL season as a leading forward was very good, and his conversion rate from the opportunities he got was also pretty good, so given another pre-season under his belt to develop his strength and endurance it will be very interesting to see how, and where, he is played for the opening few rounds.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:47 pm

It’s interesting that amongst all the various training reports, the common denominator seems to be that Reef has come back an improved player, both physically and his intensity on the track.
He’s just turned 21 and at 194cm, he’s possibly still growing into his body. He’s got so many more strings to his bow than Johnson, there’s no comparison but Johnson’s one wood ( and only wood ) is streets ahead of Reef.
There will only be room for one ( assuming we’re injury free ) so whoever gets first opportunity of the two will be one of the talking points of the early rounds.
P S - I haven’t forgotten Krueger in this conversation but just focussed on the Johnson and McInnes comparisons / differences
Rex 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:54 pm

Reef’s not competing with Hill, Elliott or Shultz. He’s 194cm and they’re 175-178. I agree that we’re likely to go for Checkers plus either Johnson or McInnes, plus a resting ruck, but given we’re the hunted and McRae never sits still I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a dramatic set up change. If all three talls are fit and prepared to transition we might have them all on deck and play one less small forward. That scenario would only happen if McCreery plays more midfield time. I can see McCreery employed as a tight tag then charging through the centre to deliver to a fast lead from AJ or McInnes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: