Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#2 Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

De Goey arrives at Pies HQ for team photo day
by Jennifer Phelan, AFL

EXILED Collingwood midfielder Jordan De Goey has arrived at the club for Tuesday's team photo as he begins to make amends after being caught drink driving on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old Magpie snuck into the club away from waiting cameras on Tuesday morning, but AFL.com.au understands he is inside and taking part in the photo shoot.

Fremantle excluded troubled midfielder Harley Bennell from the club's photo day last month, using an empty chair in the group shot so they could digitally add the banished Docker later on.

But De Goey has been included and is among his teammates despite beginning his exile from the senior squad on Monday night when he trained for the first time with the VFL team.

His teammates began arriving at the club from 9.30am onwards for the photo day, after they were put through their paces in an intense two-hour training session on Monday morning. [cont.]

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-20/de-goey-arrives-at-pies-hq-for-team-photo-day
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:45 pm

I have read most posts with interest and sadly some views are so insular and blurred, it's scary.
The facts are that DeGoey has failed his role badly twice this time around.
He has failed the club and more importantly, he has failed the community.

I would suggest that 99% of posters on here would rather that Collingwood lose a game of footy than they were to lose a family member to a drunk driver.
Despite how the above might read, I'm definitely no Puritan or a saint but until you have lost both parents in ( the same ) car accident, you probably won't truly understand the impact of his poor and inexcusable decision making.
He even had less "reason " than most to be driving over the limit because 1) part of his employment requirements is to present himself in the best possible physical condition and 2 ) the club would provide him and others with a cab charge.
We all have our opinions on this one but to downplay his failure to the community, is simply narrow minded at best.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 pm

A doctor called SEN this morning and stated that if he was caught drink driving he would not expect to answer to his employer.

Yet the media seeks to shame a 22 year old footballer.

What Jordan did was stupid & he should be punished by the law and it's that punishment that considers the implications of his actions.

I read people sharing their loss due to drink drivng and fully agree that drivers should be severely punished, probably more so than what they actually are but it is not up to the Collingwood football club to set this punishment. I'd expect the club to state its dissapointment and conduct its own review to assist their employee but that's it.

Stop the witch hunt!
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Who gives a stuff what's been said in the media - he will play Round 1
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I have read most posts with interest and sadly some views are so insular and blurred, it's scary.

I would suggest that 99% of posters on here would rather that Collingwood lose a game of footy than they were to lose a family member to a drunk driver.
Despite how the above might read, I'm definitely no Puritan or a saint but until you have lost both parents in ( the same ) car accident, you probably won't truly understand the impact of his poor and inexcusable decision making.
He even had less "reason " than most to be driving over the limit because 1) part of his employment requirements is to present himself in the best possible physical condition and 2 ) the club would provide him and others with a cab charge.
We all have our opinions on this one but to downplay his failure to the community, is simply narrow minded at best.

Hear, hear.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm

mattdally wrote:
Who gives a stuff what's been said in the media - he will play Round 1

Not sure its that easy but he now knows that he needs to lift to be considered for that game, heaps better that knowing you'll not play for 2 months no matter what you do.

Small steps Jordan, do Ashy proud mate.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:35 pm

themonk wrote:
A doctor called SEN this morning and stated that if he was caught drink driving he would not expect to answer to his employer.

What Jordan did was stupid & he should be punished by the law and it's that punishment that considers the implications of his actions.

I read people sharing their loss due to drink drivng and fully agree that drivers should be severely punished, probably more so than what they actually are but it is not up to the Collingwood football club to set this punishment. I'd expect the club to state its dissapointment and conduct its own review to assist their employee but that's it.

Stop the witch hunt!

Most medical practitioners are employed by their own company. When they asked him whether that was the case for him, how did he answer?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:51 pm

themonk wrote:

Stop the witch hunt!

Well, shame on his employer, then.
If that's true, I would be okay with the media turning some of its attention to why the relevant medical bodies apparently do not value human life.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm

I guess we will never know how close he came to driving into the back of a truck just the other side of the lake from where we lost Pants. I wonder if Jordan knows?

Those of us old enough to remember those headlines never want to read the same thing again.

Not the least of it, how much did he have to drink (during preseason training) that he still blew nearly twice the limit a good couple of hours after he stopped?
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 pm

^^^
Sorry if people think TP and I are harping on it too much, but his legal limit was actually 0.00 (not 0.05).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:04 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I guess we will never know how close he came to driving into the back of a truck just the other side of the lake from where we lost Pants. I wonder if Jordan knows?

Those of us old enough to remember those headlines never want to read the same thing again.

Not the least of it, how much did he have to drink (during preseason training) that he still blew nearly twice the limit a good couple of hours after he stopped?

yes totally. like it was yesterday. and having been to a 17 year olds funeral whos mate was driving drunk, i still cant, to this day, join in any of the happy Pants memories stories. i just respectfully stay away.

poor boy getting caught? imagine if he had killed someone? he'd live with it forever/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:06 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

im so very sorry for your loss.

this is just like a kick in the guts.
cheers

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:27 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

I can't begin to understand how you feel about all this P2016.

However, for some of us, we believe it's the job of the police and courts to deal with such behaviour. I don't believe any employer should have the right to impose further penalties. In my (minority) opinion, I would only expect my club to penalise a player if he was not presenting himself well at training, or was boozing while recovering from injury. As this incident occurred on a Saturday night, several weeks from the start of the season, I really don't think the club should have had any right to penalise him at all. Leave that to the police and courts.

FWIW, I'm a non drinker, so I certainly don't condone his behaviour.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
themonk wrote:

Stop the witch hunt!

Most medical practitioners are employed by their own company. When they asked him whether that was the case for him, how did he answer?

He said something about being assessed by his peers to make sure he is right to resume work but assumed that would be all, his employment would not be in question.

The details don't matter, I suspect the majority of the workforce would not have to answer to their employees if they were caught drink driving, its a matter for the law.

If people have issues with the process then make it known through the appropriate channels, not football whose only means of influence is via the media and in particular social media. We harp on about the pressures resulting in depression on young men and yet when given the opportunity go to town on them.

Mob mentality.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

You're absolutely right, but people are only human, especially AFL footballers who we tend to place on pedestals and De Goey is paying a very heavy price for what he did. Are we going to crucify him for the rest of his playing days for what he did, or give him the opportunity to redeem himself in the eyes of his teammates and for the club. Let's hope the message has finally sunk in that getting drunk with his mates and getting into fights at a bar, or hopping into a car hoping you're below the legal alcohol limit, is just plain dumb and stupid and not in your best interests if you want to have a football career. I remember when I was De Goey's age I did some pretty stupid things, but I had friends watch out for me, who if I was drunk, made sure I got home in one piece. From the sounds of things I don't think the friends De Goey hangs around with are really the sort of people you want to hang around with and De Goey as a grown adult needs to start making choices in his life that serve his own best interests. It's not up to the club to tell De Goey who he should hang around. It's up to De Goey to sort himself out with the help of his teammates and the club and the social group of friends he keeps outside the club.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 77 of 301   

Jump to: