Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jordan De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
E wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Secondly people taking the view that the clubs measures are draconian are missing the point that footballers are blessed with so many opportunities that people employed in standard forms of work would never benefit from.

This is after all what we are paying him for is it not so how getting highly intoxicated could possibly be seen in line with this club expectation for any footballer during a season is beyond me.

He makes peanuts and you want to hold him to the standard of perfection. seems a little much to me.

I am incredibly valuable in the role that i perform and if i broke my leg it would impact my ability to perform my job. Does that mean i can never go skiing? Of course not. i perform my job better if i get 10 hours sleep a night. does this mean i can never go out? Of course not.

Pro athletes in the US make $20 million and aren't expected to refrain from drinking when they are on their time. he is required to be a professional while he is at work.

Peanuts? I don't know what his current contract is worth, but the average AFL salary is $371,000 (and rising).
I hardly think preventing oneself from drink driving at the 0.095 level when your legal limit is 0.00 approaches perfection, either.

Skiing is not illegal. In fact, if you were a Melbourne supporter, it would be mandatory. Getting 10 hrs sleep a night is not compulsory, although you might obtain it unintentionally if you set out to watch 10 hrs straight of AFLX.

I'd have to check what restrictions and penalties US athletes typically face. But typically they have no job security at all and can be cut from the roster at what we would consider to be very strange times.

exactly, peanuts.

my point wasn't that it is illegal. the point is that it harms my performance (but i still do it) which was the point of my last post (as i was responding to the point that Jordan is harming his performance and he owes it to us to be perfect because he is a professional getting paid... peanuts.

true of NFL, but not NBA and MLB which is all guaranteed money. Even NFL is guaranteed to a point now. getting cut doesnt mean you dont get paid. given the power of the players union in all sports, those clauses that someone cited are meaningless. A-Rod got suspended for taking drugs and still got his full $30 million per year, even though the yankees tried to terminate his contract.

Ben rothlesberger nearly killed himself on a motorbike in breach of his contract, he didnt get cut.

SIMPLE FACT - the quality of the player determines how strong a club enfirces this stuff. Jordan would likely be long gone if he behaved like Degoey but played like Broomhead or Wills

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:03 pm

^^^
E wrote:
exactly, peanuts.

my point wasn't that it is illegal. the point is that it harms my performance (but i still do it) which was the point of my last post (as i was responding to the point that Jordan is harming his performance and he owes it to us to be perfect because he is a professional getting paid... peanuts.

If $371k is peanuts, then a $10k fine is peanut dust. (And so is a $10k tax-deductible donation to charity.) Obviously the latter was not set without regards to the former: the AFL & AFLPA know that the players can pay it.

Skiing is not illegal because the probability of you killing yourself doing it is much lower than if you were drink-driving, and the probability of you killing someone else is infinitesimal. The legality or illegality is thus an indicator of how harmful the activity is.

Last edited by K on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:07 pm

A channel nine report tonight from JDG landlord has reported JDJ left the rented property in a mess
De Goey has committed to cleaning up the mess

mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:09 pm

think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
Leggie wrote:
He screwed up.
Kick his arse.
Fine him.
Suspend him.
Then move on.

Go Pies

SUSPEND him??? Why?So he can screw our entire season like last year and bring him back when it's all over rover? Hit him on the head, hard,fine him,LOT'S and put him on a first and final.Screw up again and you're gone from the club.Collingwood cut their nose off to spite their face last year and people laughed out loud at how stupid we were for "Upholding our moral values"??? while all the other clubs stars were given the the rap on the knuckles and a fine.Any talk of suspension is ludicrous and would show how stupid we actually are,nowt the way we are perceived.

actually i like what the club as done here - in times where he might have got the nod if it was 50/50, he now wont, and in light of goldsack saying hes not as fit as he should be, i reckon hes really going to have to wake up to himself. well done pies
Good for you.but I believe you dislike the club enough to actually like this garbage. The chief of traffic police said he is almost dumbstruck at the treatment he is getting in the media and that his punishment by the law would be as harsh as it gets.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:10 pm

BazBoy wrote:
A channel nine report tonight from JDG landlord has reported JDJ left the rented property in a mess

Baz, do you realize his landlord is his mum? (Though we're told he recently purchased a $1 million house. I guess he may now have to skimp on the new letterbox.)
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's funny how different sports handle things.

When I'm not following the Pies I'm a great fan of Liverpool in the EPL. Before the current season began, one of their best players, Roberto Firmino, got busted for drink driving. It was dealt with by the police and courts, but his club Liverpool did not publicly impose any penalty or comment much on it at all.

I strongly suspect that the knee jerk overreactions from our club over incidents like this one, are indicative of a club which is suffering a degree of insecurity. It seems to me that our pre-occupation with how it will be received in the media, indicates to me we are led by people who forget we are a football club first and foremost, and a brand or franchise second or third.

Getting JDG to go off all booze, get a job and do community service should have been the end of it. FFS, the kid needs support and mentoring not marginalising and demonising.

We are a media slut club, way too interested in the opinions of pisshead journos.

Seriously, I'm not even interested in the start of the season now - as we have just shot ourselves in the foot.

Agree entirely Rudeboy. Our club officials are too interested in sponsors and PR image, more than what is actually the best for our team's performance and the well being of the players. As you quite rightly say, he needs mentoring and assistance, not gross humiliation and denunciation.
Once again, to pander to the media, Collingwood FC is making decisions which are inappropriate and will needlessly harm our on-field performance. Collingwood FC should not be administrating justice and imposing sanctions such as fines, that is the role of the court system. I am also sure that the club could have organized a group meeting of the players at which Jordan could have been required to make an apology, and explain the conclusions he must now draw from his behaviour. There would be many ways of dealing with Jordan's behaviour which did not involve public excoriation, but which still could have expressed the club's disappointment, and at the same time demand that he lift his standards. It is because the club feels the desperate need to fulfil "community expectations" (that is, corporate sponsors' and the media's expectations) that it has acted in a draconian manner. Collingwood has wanted to prove to these guardians of virtue that it has zero tolerance for drink driving by demonstrating its willingness to harm its own competitiveness through the suspension of one of its top 22 players for his breaking the law.But it is not Collingwood's place to do this. Collingwood is the employer, not De Goey's judge and jury. Finally, De Goey's actions have had no impact on the team (unlike, for example, refusing to turn up to training, or refusing to play a team role, etc). Despite what many claim, De Goey's actions do not reflect on the club nor on his team mates...not in the eyes of any sensible person anyway. How can the club or his team mates be blamed for De Goey's poor personal decisions?
For all those who have lost loved ones through accidents caused by drink drivers, I express my condolences at your loss. I also understand very well why you would approach this issue in the way you have: utter disgust and anger with Jordan De Goey. But what is the club for? It is not there to be a citadel of morality and an administrator of legal justice. It is there to win Premierships primarily, and also to support and encourage the young men who are playing in the Club colours. One does not have to be seen to be administering draconian penalties in order to be able to affect changes in people's behaviour. Legal sanctions take care of that aspect of things. It is not a question of condoning drink driving. It is simply that drink driving is dealt with by the judicial system, not by Collingwood FC. Collingwood FC should be focussing on developing team solidarity and internal trust. Bowing to external pressures for reasons of image and public perception is not the way to do this.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:17 pm

K no !!
I did not know that —-so do is this kick when down reporting

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:23 pm

K wrote:
BazBoy wrote:

Baz, do you realize his landlord is his mum? (Though we're told he recently purchased a $1 million house. I guess he may now have to skimp on the new letterbox.)

I didn't realize that his landlady is his mother, but the report is a beat up. A man featured in the news said that windows were damaged but there were no pictures of the damaged windows. There was a picture of a dirty toilet bowl and a stain in the floorboards. That can be described as wear and tearthat tenants commonly cause and the cost of clean up is normally taken out of the bond money. No big deal. De Goey has a dog which he would have kept in the apartment and he was living with a mate, so you wouldn't expect the place to be that clean when the apartment was vacated. Again no big deal, but kick a man when he's down.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Actually, I was thinking hoax at first... But it seems real, albeit a beatup. I assume he's been moving around... (I guess that makes me the hoaxer. mea culpa.) Must check whether that new $1 million house story is true, though it'd be consistent with him having recently moved out of a rented apartment.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 pm

His ex landlord is on TV now. FFS, I’m over it. All of it. What a time we live in.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:32 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
His ex landlord is on TV now. FFS, I’m over it. All of it. What a time we live in.

Next we will get he slightly jay walked across an intersection.
And he did 42 km speed in a 40 km speed zone.
And yes he ate KFC popcorn chicken instead of the salad.
blah blah blah.
FFS he is a footballer with bloody faults ...so why are so many hanged up on moralizing and procrastinating about nothing to do about football.
We have civil and criminal laws to take care of any breach but at Collingwood it is the puritians in charge...no it is the puritian supporters who lead the charge.
Next weekend go find yourself a good church and forget about the footy.
Footy is about beating the hell out of the oppostion and driving him and the team into the ground....sounds fair and righteous to me.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:06 pm

mudlark wrote:
think positive wrote:
mudlark wrote:
Leggie wrote:
He screwed up.
Kick his arse.
Fine him.
Suspend him.
Then move on.

Go Pies

SUSPEND him??? Why?So he can screw our entire season like last year and bring him back when it's all over rover? Hit him on the head, hard,fine him,LOT'S and put him on a first and final.Screw up again and you're gone from the club.Collingwood cut their nose off to spite their face last year and people laughed out loud at how stupid we were for "Upholding our moral values"??? while all the other clubs stars were given the the rap on the knuckles and a fine.Any talk of suspension is ludicrous and would show how stupid we actually are,nowt the way we are perceived.

actually i like what the club as done here - in times where he might have got the nod if it was 50/50, he now wont, and in light of goldsack saying hes not as fit as he should be, i reckon hes really going to have to wake up to himself. well done pies
Good for you.but I believe you dislike the club enough to actually like this garbage. The chief of traffic police said he is almost dumbstruck at the treatment he is getting in the media and that his punishment by the law would be as harsh as it gets.

what the absolute **** is that! seriously, grow up!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm

I am glad to hear it. Aboriginal Australians including his or her grandparents were denied some citizenship rights after that state legislation but that?
White Black n Blood 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:27 pm

I think next they'll report he had an altercation at kindergarten.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:33 pm

People better get used to the idea that De Goey will probably never play in Collingwood AFL side again.

Several likely scenarios will play out.

His attitude won't improve and he won't convince "his peers and coaches that meaningful change has occurred, and that his standards have risen to those of the group".

His physical conditioning will not improve due to continued party time hijinks.

A building site tradie, or some random bloke who sees De Goey on the street or in a pub, will say something like, "Hey piss pot, how's ya dog!" And bang, De Goey will slug him. And then its all over red rover (although he might get listed in the Barwon Prison best 22).

My money's on the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 299, 300, 301  Next
Page 78 of 301   

Jump to: