Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farrewell #12 Tom Wilson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Should have stuck with basketball.

Irrational comment. Refer to your signature quote about weak people and look at a mirror dude 😒

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:10 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
As a third tall forward he reminds me a bit of Tim Membrey of St Kilda and that's how we should play him, with Mihocek and Kreuger as our two main tall forwards. Personally I don't think it works playing Cox or Cameron as the other tall forward. Both to me are ruckmen who should play around the ground to help out Grundy. With discussion of how poor our forward line was on the weekend, people miss the point that Wilson was playing his first game there and WCE have one of the best backlines in the league. A forward line consisting of Mihocek, Kreuger, Wilson or Johnson, McCreery, Ginnivan, De Goey and Elliot is more than capable of kicking a winning score against any opposition in the competition.

Fair points, and we missed McCreery’s forward pressure to, he was as big an out as JDG and Tay in my mind. Wilson just needs more games and the confidence of knowing what his role is. He’ll come good.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:36 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Thought he played a solid game and deserves to hold his spot.
He’s a blank canvas right now, so he needs a block of games in the seniors and then he either holds his spot for a bit longer or he goes back and hones his craft in the VFL. He’s a bit vanilla but 194cm and super fit is a good start to carving out more game time in the seniors.

He’s a far better option than WHE
He seems the type to keep presenting and contesting
He will only get better it was a decent effort
Give him 8 weeks and see where he’s at
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:53 pm

I thought Wilson did okay for a first gamer and would definitely give him a few more games to shore up his spot if he’s good enough. I think he is good enough but needs confidence.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:57 pm

Lazza wrote:
I thought Wilson did okay for a first gamer and would definitely give him a few more games to shore up his spot if he’s good enough. I think he is good enough but needs confidence.

Pretty sure he’s not a first gamer.

I thought his game was sub par but he wasn’t on his Pat Malone on that point.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:36 pm

I think his kicking is unique insofar as the fact that he kicks with both feet "literally". That being on several occasions so far (Saturday included) when having a kick after a mark or free kick, he has chosen to kick with his left foot and then his right foot. Am sure he shall play this Thursday so keep an eye out for it.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 pm

inxs88 wrote:
I think his kicking is unique insofar as the fact that he kicks with both feet "literally". That being on several occasions so far (Saturday included) when having a kick after a mark or free kick, he has chosen to kick with his left foot and then his right foot. Am sure he shall play this Thursday so keep an eye out for it.

Interesting and I will look out for it. It sounds like Im off the mark with his kicking skills so Im happy my fears will subside

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:48 pm

He has played 6 games going by the official site.

Still not bad for a 6 gamer

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:57 am

masoncox wrote:
Skids wrote:

Did you say that about Pendles too??¿

No and it's quite a silly comparison to make.
Pendles quit the AIS (U18's squad) after 3 weeks and committed to football. Patty Mills took his spot and that turned out well for all involved didn't it.

Wilson on the other hand, had quite a lengthy and somewhat successful basketball career.
Wilson played well for Australia's under-17 side when they almost beat USA in the gold medal game at the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship. He played 2 years of college basketball before turning pro.
In 2017 he signed a deal with a Serbian club, but there was a contract dispute which saw him play in Oz for the Sydney Kings and the Melbourne Tigers. 2019 he played for the Boomers.

He may develop into a serviceable player, but IMO, he just hasn't got it. I hope he proves me wrong and kills it.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:48 am

Skids wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Skids wrote:

Did you say that about Pendles too??¿

No and it's quite a silly comparison to make.
Pendles quit the AIS (U18's squad) after 3 weeks and committed to football. Patty Mills took his spot and that turned out well for all involved didn't it.

Wilson on the other hand, had quite a lengthy and somewhat successful basketball career.
Wilson played well for Australia's under-17 side when they almost beat USA in the gold medal game at the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship. He played 2 years of college basketball before turning pro.
In 2017 he signed a deal with a Serbian club, but there was a contract dispute which saw him play in Oz for the Sydney Kings and the Melbourne Tigers. 2019 he played for the Boomers.

He may develop into a serviceable player, but IMO, he just hasn't got it. I hope he proves me wrong and kills it.

I'm with you Skids - just not sure he'll make it. I'm not sure what people are seeing that I am not which makes them so convinced he's a talent. Certainly not prepared to accept he's a better option that WHE. Based on what??

My caveat stands though: happy to stand corrected if he carves out a 100+ game career.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Need to assess him at the end of the season. Far too early to make a call.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:02 pm

Lazza wrote:
Need to assess him at the end of the season. Far too early to make a call.

This is true Lazza. It could all 'click' for Tom and I hope it does.
Smile

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:33 pm

We’ve virtually had no development within our list for the last two years and the players with less than 30 odd senior games to their name are the ones most impacted. We’ve had Covid cuts to our footy dept and very little VFL played over last two seasons. Fast forward to 2022 and we have beefed up player development ( courtesy of a cheaper coach as admitted by Fly ) and the VFL is up and running again. I think we will see the fruits of these positive changes as the year rolls on. Some players look to have taken forward steps in their development already and I don’t see why Wilson can’t be part of that. The point is, I wouldn’t be forming any judgements on any of the young, inexperienced players based on their output over the past couple years. There’s a lot of upside to come in the next year or two with this list and only time will tell if Wilson proves to be one of them.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:06 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
We’ve virtually had no development within our list for the last two years and the players with less than 30 odd senior games to their name are the ones most impacted. We’ve had Covid cuts to our footy dept and very little VFL played over last two seasons. Fast forward to 2022 and we have beefed up player development ( courtesy of a cheaper coach as admitted by Fly ) and the VFL is up and running again. I think we will see the fruits of these positive changes as the year rolls on. Some players look to have taken forward steps in their development already and I don’t see why Wilson can’t be part of that. The point is, I wouldn’t be forming any judgements on any of the young, inexperienced players based on their output over the past couple years. There’s a lot of upside to come in the next year or two with this list and only time will tell if Wilson proves to be one of them.

All fair points.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:40 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

Exactly. It's the reason we've been recruiting out of South Australia lately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: