Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farrewell #12 Tom Wilson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainSnooze 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Wilson
194cm
excellent athlete
talented junior
Excellent kicking technique
kicks both feet as well as each other
looks to have football smarts finding the ball 30+ times in the backline in VFL last year a few times, then kicking goals in the forward line this year,
16 touches at 80% playing forward in first game last week
Sees himself as a forward and now getting a chance to play there
Has plenty of upside due to age and missing plenty of football

Few things to work with. Maybe Tom Lynch from Crows type player.

Definitely worth a couple more years to see how much he can improve.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:40 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
We’ve virtually had no development within our list for the last two years and the players with less than 30 odd senior games to their name are the ones most impacted. We’ve had Covid cuts to our footy dept and very little VFL played over last two seasons. Fast forward to 2022 and we have beefed up player development ( courtesy of a cheaper coach as admitted by Fly ) and the VFL is up and running again. I think we will see the fruits of these positive changes as the year rolls on. Some players look to have taken forward steps in their development already and I don’t see why Wilson can’t be part of that. The point is, I wouldn’t be forming any judgements on any of the young, inexperienced players based on their output over the past couple years. There’s a lot of upside to come in the next year or two with this list and only time will tell if Wilson proves to be one of them.

Exactly. It's the reason we've been recruiting out of South Australia lately.

Totally agree.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:09 am

We have in recent years been a risk averse and vanilla selection team. That being, we recruit Alpha type forwards and move them back:

* D Moore
* J Howe

Or pick small-medium utility types vs Key position players. For example:

* Stevo vs Naughton
* Treloar vs H MacKay or C. Curnow

Tom Wilson has some genuine upside and maybe he shall be a slow burn like Jack Silvagni. Similar player and height.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:11 am

magpieazza wrote:
He has played 6 games going by the official site

Was medical sub in 1 and didn’t get in the ground

E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:32 am

Skids wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Skids wrote:
Should have stuck with basketball.

Did you say that about Pendles too??¿

No and it's quite a silly comparison to make.
Pendles quit the AIS (U18's squad) after 3 weeks and committed to football. Patty Mills took his spot and that turned out well for all involved didn't it.

Wilson on the other hand, had quite a lengthy and somewhat successful basketball career.
Wilson played well for Australia's under-17 side when they almost beat USA in the gold medal game at the 2014 FIBA Under-17 World Championship. He played 2 years of college basketball before turning pro.
In 2017 he signed a deal with a Serbian club, but there was a contract dispute which saw him play in Oz for the Sydney Kings and the Melbourne Tigers. 2019 he played for the Boomers.

He may develop into a serviceable player, but IMO, he just hasn't got it. I hope he proves me wrong and kills it.

I'm not as confident as you are that he will be a bust. He has shown me enough for me to leave him on the list for another year or two. Especially if he continues to improve. He was much better this week for example than he was last year.

He is obviously an elite athlete and i will never write off an elite athlete.

Be patient. Its not like our list is under pressure for spots. I reckon a few of us could be added to the collingwood list and it wouldnt suffer too much.

Very thin!! Maybe the thinnest list in the AFL right now. still very good at the top and very promising in the middle, but very light on overall. At least 10 players would be considered longshot development projects and i'd put Tom pretty high among that group given that his skill set appears to be an area we are especially thin (as in Sidebottom's hair thin!!).

E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:40 am

inxs88 wrote:
We have in recent years been a risk averse and vanilla selection team. That being, we recruit Alpha type forwards and move them back:

* D Moore
* J Howe

Or pick small-medium utility types vs Key position players. For example:

* Stevo vs Naughton
* Treloar vs H MacKay or C. Curnow

Tom Wilson has some genuine upside and maybe he shall be a slow burn like Jack Silvagni. Similar player and height.

Stevo was nearly the extra piece in the forward line required to deliver a premiership. Sadly, in the end our injuries down back caugfht up with us (and having a useless unfit midfielder didnt help either).

If Sheed misses that goal, and we hang on, it would be considered genius, although i admit that now Naughton would appear to have more upside.

Its very lazy though to criticize recruiters by taking the best player to be picked after our pick and suggesting we were wrong not to take him. the saints, it seems wiffed twice!

Nicola Jokic was a second round pick and Giannis went 15. Even Embiid, who went 3 was picked AFTER Jabari Parker (and Jason Tatum went 3 after Markelle Faultz!). And basketball takes players at 20, not 17!!!!

Tim Kelly went 24 in that draft and Oscar Allen went 20 odd.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:32 pm

inxs88 wrote:

* D Moore
* J Howe

We were always going to draft Moore, he played CHB in the U18 comp mainly IIRC, we tried to turn him into a forward, he flourished when sent back.

Howe didn't have a set position at Melbourne, he'd been tried forward and wing but didn't set the world on fire. We recruited him to play forward, sent him back out of necessity and he flourished.

The history of great backmen is filled with failed forwards.

Presti was an U18 CFH
Ben Reid was recruited as a forward.
Peter McCormack kicked 100 goals as FF at Assumption College and ended up playing full back.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:30 pm

Collingwood has informed Trey Ruscoe, Trent Bianco, Tom Wilson, Arlo Draper and Cooper Murley they will not be offered contracts with the Club for 2024.

Source :
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1447805/collingwood-thanks-bianco-ruscoe-wilson-draper-and-murley

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

* D Moore
* J Howe

We were always going to draft Moore, he played CHB in the U18 comp mainly IIRC, we tried to turn him into a forward, he flourished when sent back.

Howe didn't have a set position at Melbourne, he'd been tried forward and wing but didn't set the world on fire. We recruited him to play forward, sent him back out of necessity and he flourished.

The history of great backmen is filled with failed forwards.

Presti was an U18 CFH
Ben Reid was recruited as a forward.
Peter McCormack kicked 100 goals as FF at Assumption College and ended up playing full back.

Ronnie McKeown was another one who was recruited as a full forward and then went to the back line.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: