Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Reaching out to former Nicks BB posters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phantom wrote:
Hello Nicksters.
Loved it here.
But it’s simply too hard to use on a mobile phone.
Fix that and I suspect many will return.

Over 95% of my posts are done on my iPhone and I generally have no problems.

The Phantom 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:57 am

Yeah, ok.
You guys win.
It’s awesome and optimised on a phone.
It couldn’t possibly be any better.
Happy?

Thanks for making me feel welcome dropping back in.

BJ Aquarius

Harry C - The champion of the Harrys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:07 pm

I was here a long time ago. I used to do the banner slogans and loved it. A few of my slogans got used. I got to hold the banner up at Subiaco oval and met quite a few nicksters in 2003, including Skids before he gave up the booze! Was a great day, we lost, but enjoyed it big time. I haven’t had the time to post for a few years, but periodically check the site. I wrote the ode, the man from magpie river, back in 2003 prior to the GF.
All I can say is thanks to Mike for this masterpiece of a website. Go Pies!

MagpieMark 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:12 pm

To reply to LaurieHolden, #16 was emotional and such a rollercoaster. I was with my 80 yo mum and dad, sisters and nieces and nephews. Lots of swear words and shouting at the tv and then tears and jumping up and down when the siren went.

Makes up for 2002 Smile

Go Pies!
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:34 pm

My longest standing friend was Harry. Harry's middle name was Sem. Harry first told me about Nicks. He would occasionally post under the name Sem.
What sort of name is Sem? Well, when Harry's family arrived in Australia from eastern Europe his mother was asked at Immigration to give the names of her children. Harry's real middle name was Sam but when his mother pronounced it with her thick eastern European accent, the Immigration official thought she'd said Sem so that was the middle name which was recorded, and Harry kept it.
Harry was a died-in-the-wool Collingwood supporter. He went to most games and Collingwood's travails and successes were his favourite topic of conversation.
Harry (Sem) died of cancer last year. Sadly, he missed last year's premiership. His daughters wore Collingwood scarves at his funeral.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm

BJ wrote:
I was here a long time ago. I used to do the banner slogans and loved it. A few of my slogans got used. I got to hold the banner up at Subiaco oval and met quite a few nicksters in 2003, including Skids before he gave up the booze! Was a great day, we lost, but enjoyed it big time. I haven’t had the time to post for a few years, but periodically check the site. I wrote the ode, the man from magpie river, back in 2003 prior to the GF.
All I can say is thanks to Mike for this masterpiece of a website. Go Pies!

On the banner front, I recall when Adelaide played their first game at Vic Park in '91.
While I usually sat in front of the Social Club, I was in the Sherrin Stand with a mate that day, and my seat overlooked the race where the cheer squads would bring their banners onto the ground.
As the Adelaide supporters were readying their banner, they ran into our cheer squad and a scuffle eventuated. Their banner was ripped up, and I can vividly remember white milk running down the race behind the stand as for some reason the Crows supporters brought their own labelled milk cartons with them which was subsequently spilt during the melee.
It was a dark day all round for the Crows, we smashed them. It would have been made worse by the state of the visitor change rooms, which reportedly were just below Gulag camp standard.

Not the prettiest match by today's standards, but certainly played hard. And just have a look at the transition from the opening bounce - Millane to Brown to Daicos. Stirring stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk01PP3S2E4&ab_channel=jamesbrown

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:35 pm

Harrysz wrote:
My longest standing friend was Harry. Harry's middle name was Sem. Harry first told me about Nicks. He would occasionally post under the name Sem.

What sort of name is Sem? Well, when Harry's family arrived in Australia from eastern Europe his mother was asked at Immigration to give the names of her children. Harry's real middle name was Sam but when his mother pronounced it with her thick eastern European accent, the Immigration official thought she'd said Sem so that was the middle name which was recorded and Harry kept it.

Harry was a died-in-the-wool Collingwood supporter. He went to most games and Collingwood's travails and successes were his favourite topic of conversation.

Harry (Sem) died of cancer last year. Sadly he missed last year's premiership. His daughters wore Collingwood scarves at his funeral.

Very sorry for your loss - and thanks for posting that tribute, Harrysz. I remember "sem"'s posts. He was a Collingwood supporter since '53, I think. I hope he got to see the turnaround in fortunes under the new coach before he was too sick to attend games.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:37 pm

The Phantom wrote:
Yeah, ok.
You guys win.
Happy?

We understand Nick's isn't perfect, state of the art technology - but it's good to hear from you. Hope you can get on via the laptop from time to time.
The Phantom 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:53 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The Phantom wrote:
Yeah, ok.
You guys win.
Happy?

We understand Nick's isn't perfect, state of the art technology - but it's good to hear from you. Hope you can get on via the laptop from time to time.

Thanks for the considered reply. Appreciated.
I’m tipping my phone landscape, pinching and squeezing and giving Nicks another go.
We’ll see how long into this he season it lasts.
I have fond memories of many posters here.

FWIW - Laurie H and I have been chatting, and I’ve offered some expertise. We shall see, but for now, let’s hope the quality iof content is good.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:44 am

Nick's remains something of a celebration of turn-of-the-century bulletin board technology Wink
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:51 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:

On the banner front, I recall when Adelaide played their first game at Vic Park in '91.
While I usually sat in front of the Social Club, I was in the Sherrin Stand with a mate that day, and my seat overlooked the race where the cheer squads would bring their banners onto the ground.
It was a dark day all round for the Crows, we smashed them. It would have been made worse by the state of the visitor change rooms, which reportedly were just below Gulag camp standard.

Was in the Sherrin Stand too that day, along with Rudey.
Our seats were closer to the opposition race.
Was a solid thumping, but they'd almost roll us a year later.
Were the cold showers in visiting teams rooms still being administered in the 90s?

Anyhoo, I recall being told prior to the first bounce, that Jeff Fenech had been robbed in his overseas boxing title fight with Azuma Nelson, only hours earlier. News footage of the bout effectively confirmed this.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:28 pm

Maybe once they get a movie, there's nothing more to achieve.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:26 am

Like many, the policies of this board in merging topics and failing to stimulate new discussion and content are at best over-officious and petty and at worst tiresome, anachronistic and demotivating.
With Round Zero coming, I posted a likely team, ins/outs since the GF and some considered opinion aimed to drive discussion, engagement and participation. Wake up this morning and its been completely removed or at best filed away with the Penski File!
Disappointing, because as a 10 year contributor on here, I have enjoyed the back & forth and passion of fellow Nicksters.
Take care everybody!! Pies 2024 #backtowork

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:01 am

I think this board is full of old dudes.
Very difficult to get young people to post on here.
It is probably the format that they don't like.
Like newspapers this board will probably die a slow death.
Already I reckon the board has lost half of its contributors in the last five years..
That is just a wild guess but hey it is definitely declining.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:06 pm

Year I’m a longtime old poster in his mid 60’s. What’s your solution to this problem? How can we stop this decline and slow death from happening? What do you suggest? Not having a go at you but genuinely asking your opinion? I would hate Nick’s to die. Where else can I waste time? 🤣
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: