Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#10 Scott Pendlebury

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 134, 135, 136  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

woodys_world69 wrote:
oh god

oh god what?

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:34 pm

Interesting that even after one game the hallmarks of his game were all noted in this thread.

He really did come on very quickly. Had a very good first year. And by his second was playing a key role in finals. I know 5th pick isn't too far down, but Pendlebury's one of the best pickups we've had in the last 10 years. He would have dropped at least a few spots further down if we'd not picked him, and has probably turned out to be the best player in that draft. Certainly in the top 3.

He has such a unique skillset (he's pretty much Del Santo with elite inside skills - Del is very weak in this area, which is why I was very worried when he looked as if he might snatch the Brownlow this year; Swan and Pendles were much more deserving). Players with elite inside and disposal skills are very rare, and Pendlebury has a greater ability than any I've seen to win a contested ball and use it well from within traffic. A very special player.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:02 am

Congrats Pendles Very Happy

We truly have a superstar in our team now. It's interesting to see that many Nicksters picked this up very early in his career.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:28 am

OUR next Captain, maybe even next season. Onya Pendles. !!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swooper 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:11 am

Extremely, extremely happy for Pendles. Wonderful player, great example to others and very well deserved. Congratulations Scott!!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:25 am

I tipped this! Very Happy
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:12 pm

I seem to recall a few Nicksters upset with the club selecting Daisy and Pendles in that 2007 (?) draft and missing out on that injury prone softy (whose name I've forgotten!) selected by Hawthorn.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:15 pm

didnt we select Pendles in 2005. Make him captain next year
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:43 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
Seriously, we have got ourselves a good footballer here.

I was under the impression he was an outside-type, but he proved to have fast hands and great vision when scrapping at ground level. Generally excellent disposal despite a couple of miskicks - got to expect that in a debut at this level. Also showed real courage on a few occasions.

But it's the way he moves. He's just got so much time. I could toss in some very big names he reminds me of, but I don't want to jinx the poor kid. He'll have his ups and downs before he really makes it.

I'll just say again: we've got ourselves a very, very good footballer.

Five years later, I think it's safe to say the player I had in mind back then was Hird, at least in terms of how much time he has. They've turned out to be very different types in other respects, but either way Pendlebury might just be the best player I've ever seen wearing black & white.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I seem to recall a few Nicksters upset with the club selecting Daisy and Pendles in that 2007 (?) draft and missing out on that injury prone softy (whose name I've forgotten!) selected by Hawthorn.

Xavier WHO?? Oh..Ellis Rolling Eyes

My son was one who was also disappointed at the time...

But once he saw Daisy..and Pendles...There were two stars in the making.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:44 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
[quote="Pied Piper"]Seriously, we have got ourselves a good footballer here.

I was under the impression he was an outside-type, but he proved to have fast hands and great vision when scrapping at ground level. Generally excellent disposal despite a couple of miskicks - got to expect that in a debut at this level. Also showed real courage on a few occasions.

But it's the way he moves. He's just got so much time. [b]I could toss in some very big names he reminds me of, but I don't want to jinx the poor kid[/b]. He'll have his ups and downs before he really makes it.

I'll just say again: we've got ourselves a very, very good footballer.[/quote]

Five years later, I think it's safe to say the player I had in mind back then was Hird, at least in terms of how much time he has. They've turned out to be very different types in other respects, but either way Pendlebury might just be the best player I've ever seen wearing black & white.
What else does the [b]he or she could toss in some big names he remind you of?
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:45 pm

^ It was the 2005 draft. Both Thomas and Pendlebury made their debuts in 2006.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:40 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Funny thing was, Collingwood were favoured to get Ellis in many mock drafts, but Matt Burgan came out and said Collingwood would bypass Ellis (who IIRC was more highly rated than Daisy was at the time. At least on Nick's, and Bigfooty by Collingwood supporters.)

The thing that turned me off Ellis was hearing that he'd have a year off for his schooling at the time, it's not a knock on the guy but I'd have wanted someone at the time ready to play football and wasn't still worrying about exams.

Sadly for him he's had some injuries, but it was good that we took Thomas in the end.

I am also glad we have Pendles at the club, 2005 was a really good draft for us, I guess it puts to end the shit season we had that year.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:50 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I do recall some suggesting we could have got both Ellis and Daisy if we'd used selection 3 on Ellis and 5 on Daisy. Without knowing anything about any of the players I commented at the time that perhaps the club was keen to secure Pendles with its 5th pick. One thing's for sure, it proved to be a great draft for the pies and a credit to Derek Hine and the Collingwood football department.
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I've always been a massive rap for Pendles. I used to hang it on my Saints mates that Dal Santo was half the player Pendles was. This was of course very early on when Nicky Dal was flying and Pendles was still very wet behind the ears.

Now Dal Santo is a fine player but I don't think there's a fan in the land that wouldn't take Pendles before him or almost any other midfielder. It's a massive compliment to the kid. The prototypical midfielder for the modern game. And he will get better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 134, 135, 136  Next
Page 93 of 136   

Jump to: