Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#11 Daniel McStay

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually thinking Kreuger is the best replacement for Mcstay. We need someone who can smash the packs and bring the ball to ground so our fleet of small/medium smalls can do their thing. That is something Kreuger can do.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:07 pm

^ that's the downside of McStay going down. He could smash packs and kick goals.
Kreuger can smash packs, along with himself and his teammates. But missing the goals part of the equation.
While I hope that he's the one to come out and surprise us all, hope isn't a defined strategy.

McStay's omission will really test the ability of the coaching panel to come up with a plan to embark on another finals campaign without the lack of a twin focal point they traded McStay in to address.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:14 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm actually thinking Kreuger is the best replacement for Mcstay. We need someone who can smash the packs and bring the ball to ground so our fleet of small/medium smalls can do their thing. That is something Kreuger can do.

I agree but get the impression that Krueger doesn’t garner a hell of a lot of confidence from most Nicksters and the response to his possible selection is lukewarm at best 😟 I think this is crap thinking. With the confidence gleaned from being selected to play regular senior football, Krueger will be a more than adequate replacement for McSay and dominate his position either as a marking option or being able to bring the ball down and get our crumbers into the play in the box seat. I’m sure that Collingwood will benefit greatly from Krueger if he can stay injury free and play up to his ability. Happy days 😃

Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:45 pm

I'm not the biggest fan of Nathan Krueger as a key forward, but he should be bouyed by the loss of McStay at this time of the year as he has a whole pre-season to position himself for the role he was initially recruited for. Now is his time to grab the opportunity wth both hands and perform the Dan McStay role of a mobile target forward with a reliable conversion rate that doesn't allow the opposition key backs to mark the ball. Lots of improvement to Krueger's consistency, reliability and sustainability of his body in AFL conditions, but I think he should be given every opportunity to grasp this role as he at least has the physical attributes to be quite effective in the MCStay role.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:27 pm

For mine, the key to getting any continuity from Krueger, is to have him drop around 5 / 6 kilos. He just looks to big ( not overweight ) to be able to sustain his 2023 playing weight. Drop some weight, get around the park a bit easier and take some load off the legs in 2024.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:41 pm

Krueger needs to be less kamikazee when he plays.
Always looks like he will hurt himself when he goes for marks. Leading he is Ok but when he has to get off the ground I hold my breath. Sometimes I think he tries to do too much.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:47 pm

McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker. Guy never got injured until pulling on black and white stripes. We messed up not going for a tall key forward, Frampton, Johnson and Krueger are not going to deliver us back to back premierships
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 9:59 pm

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:
McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker.

Think you're mixing up McStay for Kreuger Wink

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:14 am

Jezza wrote:

Not so sure….McStay’s injury record thus far…11 weeks with a finger injury (11 weeks!!! If I remember correctly Selwood once grew back a leg and Stevie J two knees in four!!!!), 8 weeks left knee, season right knee….by the time he’s back would have played just 25% or 14 games in 2 seasons….or the equivalence of $300k return on $1.2M investment (calculated at $600k a season salary).

Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:23 am

Similarly, Ash will surprise a few in 2024. He does have to work out his defensive game and his tendency to go missing for large parts, but if he does he can offer a point of difference. Yes, Mihocek might have to go back to his previous role but this may not be such a bad thing as he was probably more effective there anyway.
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:36 am

Jezza wrote:

Haha but I'd put all of McStay, Rusling and Walker in the good players that Collingwood supporters haven't seen play due to injuries category, I'm not sure Krueger fits in that category. I hope that I get proven wrong but I can see anyone Krueger included offering our forward line what McStay would if fit

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:06 am

One door closes and another opens. With Shultz, Elliot, Checkers, and Hill as certain starters in the forward line. We then have we have a few options and players fighting for a spot. The Coaches will go for a horses-for-course approach unless someone dominates. IMO, Ash has to stand up this year and with another preseason under his belt, the spot is there if he truly wants it. Ash gets the consistency in his game he can dominate. Krueger shows a lot of potential and I say forget about the injuries. He just reminds me of Stephen Patterson many years ago. He looks like he's trying his guts when the balls already over the line and out of contention. Framptom has the size and learned a lot this year and even a small improvement we have a player that can go forward, back, and in the ruck. With Jack replaced by Shultz, I feel our forward line even without McStay is stronger and will be a worry for most oppositions.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:21 am

McStay is the new Sean Rusling or Lee Walker. Guy never got injured until pulling on black and white stripes. We messed up not going for a tall key forward, Frampton, Johnson and Krueger are not going to deliver us back to back premierships

Totally disagree with your assessment of our flag winning recruiting team. Given reasonable luck with injuries, we have the best chance in decades of winning consecutive premierships. Happy to refer back to this post in 2024.

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:04 pm

^]

No McStay, we don't win the prelim and I don't think we can rely on a small forward like Bobby Hill to kick 4 or mids to kick unbelievable goals from beyond 50m. Sooner or later we are going to rely on a breakout game from our spearhead tall forwards in order towin a prelim or granny. Checkers has demonstrated he doesn't do this in big finals with the best defender hanging off him. Don't get me wrong, I hope that you are referring me back to this post calling me a doubting Thomas at the end of September but I reckon there's more chance I'll be doing the I told you so

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:42 pm

CHB, with respect, let’s agree to disagree. I remain convinced that the club will adequately find a replacement for CHF and by the end of the season, they will be entrenched in the team for a starring role in the finals. I think Collingwood are professional enough to cover the gaps and to succeed in the finals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 29 of 31   

Jump to: