Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#11 Daniel McStay

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to disagree, I pray that you are right Lazza and someone steps up and makes that CHF spot their own by finals time and gives Checkers some much needed assistance in the forward contested marking target department. Who knows maybe Sgt Schultz can be the game deciding player at the pointy end of the season?
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:53 pm

We need a contested marking beast and Dan was the closest thing we had to one. None of the names mentioned fill me with much confidence in that regard but we have time to try a few different methods. A setback, for sure but it's not something that will stop us from going back to back.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:31 pm

McStay has an ACL mate on the sidelines, happens to the best...

From the SSP thread, re Sullivan
https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2183298#2183298

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:41 am

I'm still not going rule out the prospect of McStay returning as our FB in 2025.
Given he's now done 2 knees within 6 months, the prospect of a 2024 return would appear optimistic.
As a 195cm and 100kg defender, he presents as the new Gary Pert or Presti, both of whom started their careers as key forward prospects before their FB roles flourished.

If Johnson, Reef or both fulfill their potential, theyll be more than capable adornments to Mihocek as he plays out his career. (Should Alex Condon find his way onto our list, all the better)

So, how does the prospect of McStay following his return anchoring FB appeal?

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:18 am

Said by Zed wrote:
after Ben Reid’s first few seasons at CHF who would have thought he’d make it as a AA premiership CHB???.

Malthouse thought he was so good he could win a 2nd on one leg

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:32 am

McStay gives me confidence. Not because he looks super dangerous, but when he's on the field, I feel we have the forward structure I'm accustomed to seeing.

However, that doesn't mean much. Footy has evolved, and Daniher isn't the traditional FF we picture. The goal he scored in the last few minutes could have been marked by someone much shorter. It's his role and his pure footy ability, coupled with his height, that truly matters.

McStay can play, but he's not a Saverio. Hypothetically, someone like Ed Allan could emerge unexpectedly and become a taller Nick Daicos-like FF, showcasing class and running circles around key backs (à la Cameron).

I'm just having fun with this idea, but ultimately, it boils down to class and some height. McStay is serviceable, but he's not a killer FF. He can go back and we still get a good player. If we can find that taller spearhead who can genuinely and consistently terrorise the opposition, I'd be happy.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Ill trade McStay in the trade period and bring in a young tall.
Look we arent getting anything out of him.
You could get a few good draft picks for Dan.
A PCL now ACL. Its was the ACL which was the death nail sadly.
Cant see him at the Pies in 2025.
Happy to be proven wrong.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:41 pm

*A Collingwood player is injured, and you just turf him out in the next trade period.
And just what sort of a draft pick / picks do you think would come? In light of him being washed up.
Such a bad assessment on the situation and for a required player. If that happens, no one will want to come to the Club.
I look forward to his return.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:14 am

Pies haven't put the line through McStay for 2024. Apparently progressing well in his recovery.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:05 am

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:
Ill trade McStay in the trade period and bring in a young tall.

Look we arent getting anything out of him.

You could get a few good draft picks for Dan.

A PCL now ACL.

Its was the ACL which was the death nail sadly.

Cant see him at the Pies in 2025.

Happy to be proven wrong.

Give yourself a spell Yippee... That is a rubbish take. Will have 3 more years on his contract at the start of next season, and was a valuable contributor at the end of last season. As others have said - if you start flicking players out when they do serious injuries, you will no longer be able to attract anyone.

Again - terrible take.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:06 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Pies haven't put the line through McStay for 2024. Apparently progressing well in his recovery.

Goldsack did his ACL in the last game of the pre-season and came back to play in that years finals campaign. McStay did his probably three months earlier than that. Never say never...

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:59 pm

I have some hope that he will be available come September. Wouldnt that be a great story and some great motivation for our playing group if he were to come back.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:54 am

I don't know the technicals, I do recall Goldsack had two surgical options, the first usually chosen by younger athletes which takes 12 months to recover, and the second with a quicker recovery period but potentially shorter life cycle, a popular choice for older athletes. Goldsack took the latter.

At 28, McStay may have also gone down the Goldsack route, if so, we could see him playing in the ressies by July.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:15 am

^^^
Back in the very late 90’s and early 2000’s, there was an ACL repair option that involved replacing the ruptured tendon with a similar ligament / tendon from the hamstring area, as opposed to “ simply “ repairing the existing damaged ligament. The Swans in particular, went with the replacement option more than most clubs but too many players repeated the same injury within a few months of their comeback.
The success rate of replacing the ligament proved to be lower than the traditional repair procedure, particularly as the sample size grew. Nowadays, the quick fix replacement procedure has virtually been shelved ( not the least because it also potentially compromised the hamstring area ) and the conservative procedure continues to remain the much preferred option for any ruptured ACL’s. Also, continual surgical advances in knee surgeries means ACL repairs are more successful as every decade rolls on.
With two years into a five year contract, I’d be shocked if McStay would opt for the “ quick fix “ option ( and I imagine we would have heard about it if he did )
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:44 pm

Other day I heard Fly say on the radio that McStay is coming along in leaps an bounds, with his ACL. Fly said he can now run laps and straight lines, at pace. Maybe, just maybe, his injury could be like Howes arm last season, looked real bad, but not a really bad ACL ? Could he return by august, we can only hope hey.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 30 of 31   

Jump to: