Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#6 Tom Mitchell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^HA too true!

Haven't seen enough of him in recent years to judge but surely he'd have to be cheap!!?!?!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Cam wrote:
Mitchell = a slightly slower Treloar . Give and go handballs, around the body kicks to nobody... to me he is the antithesis of our team play, he likes to delay, go backwards and call for ridiculous possessions.
But as in everything, in Fly I trust because he has got players playing in his system how he wants it to run.

Mate, watching the ease in which both Sydney and Geelong caned us in centre clearances in those two finals should make you feel crook in the guts, and swear in frustration watching it unfold on TV; works for me...

Just hand the task to a professional clearance player, and with a bit of luck we will get a Luke Ball type scenario, where he fills a gap that the current or recently departed players didn't have the chops to make their own.

If Mitchell has any flaws, Fly will rewire him.
Look at how our list and ball movement thrived after Buckley's Backward Bullshit plan got arseholed out.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm

You have to think of Mitchell as an extractor, not a ball mover. He will be the one at the feet of the ruckmen winning the contested ball then slinging it out to the runners. He is the one at the bottom of the pack making sure the opposition doesn't win an easy contested ball. Not every midfielder needs to be a gung-ho running machine. You do need a balance and a balance is what we need to build.

MONCO: Your life.

Last edited by Monco Matt on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Cam wrote:
Mitchell = a slightly slower Treloar . Give and go handballs, around the body kicks to nobody... to me he is the antithesis of our team play, he likes to delay, go backwards and call for ridiculous possessions...

So was Sidey, but Fly reinvented him too

This is true.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:26 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
You have to think of Mitchell as an extractor, not a ball mover. He will be the one at the feet of the ruckmen winning the contested ball then slinging it out to the runners.
He is the one at the bottom of the pack making sure the opposition doesn't win an easy contested ball.
Not every midfielder needs to be a gung-ho running machine. You do need a balance and a balance is what we need to build.

Exactamundo; thus the Luke Ball scenario comparison.

Monco Matt Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:29 pm

piedys wrote:
Cam wrote:
Mitchell = a slightly slower Treloar . Give and go handballs, around the body kicks to nobody... to me he is the antithesis of our team play, he likes to delay, go backwards and call for ridiculous possessions.
But as in everything, in Fly I trust because he has got players playing in his system how he wants it to run.

If Mitchell has any flaws, Fly will rewire him.
Look at how our list and ball movement thrived after Buckley's Backward Bullshit plan got arseholed out.

And let's not forget all those years spent leaving the back door flapping open while he was trying to teach them how to defend a backward and sideways game plan!! Mad

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:34 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
piedys wrote:

And let's not forget all those years spent leaving the back door flapping open while he was trying to teach them how to defend a backward and sideways game plan!! Mad

The trauma, the trauma.... so many headaches from yelling at TV, so many broken drinking glasses hurled at the wall after weekly junk time goals leaked from fumbling turnovers....

Monco Matt Aries

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:43 pm

piedys wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
piedys wrote:

The trauma, the trauma.... so many headaches from yelling at TV, so many broken drinking glasses hurled at the wall after weekly junk time goals leaked from fumbling turnovers....

I still have nightmare flashbacks of watching oppo mids and small forwards streaming in unison into our D50 after said fumble/turnover with three Pies defenders chasing them slowly into open goal squares. This was common throughout 2014-17. Four years!! Fortunately, McFly understands at Year 1 that it is sound defensive strategy to keep a few back 99% of the time, except for the final 2 minutes of a QF apparently. Crying or Very sad

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:44 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
So, combined with Adams, that'll be 2, well past their best midfielders, providing around 50, mostly useless possessions, per week. What's not to like?

Geez dude, you’ll be the life at any party 🎈😀 Does anything regarding Collingwood excite you or are they all useless possession losers? 🙄 Seriously, do you rate Craig McRae’s ability to get the best out of any player to perform at his optimum level?

Last edited by lazzadesilva on Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
I still have nightmare flashbacks of watching oppo mids and small forwards streaming in unison into our D50 after said fumble/turnover with three Pies defenders chasing them slowly into open goal squares.
This was common throughout 2014-17. Four years!!

We kinda laugh about it now, but those passages often undid a lot of good work done in patches during a game. As a result, we'd bemoan them in the post match threads i.e. turnovers and backwards crap killed us again at critical stages, and cost us the game.
The team wasn't always kicked off the park in those seasons, save for a few beltings; more honourable losses than thrashings in that period.

Yet those experiences were invaluable learning curves for Maynard, Moore, Adams and others, prior to the almost season of 2018.

slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:22 pm

Tom Mitchell has deficiencies no doubt, but the skill that he excels at is extracting the ball from clearances.
This is also a major weakness of ours so I think that if we could get him relatively cheaply, he would definitely make us a better team next year.
The other benefit is the ability for some of the younger players to learn from a Brownlow medallist in the art of clearance work and how to read ruck taps from both your own ruckman and the oppositions.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:27 pm

Mitchell will be great. I just hope the trade is cheap.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:37 pm

If only we had him in 2018...

https://afltables.com/afl/brownlow/brownlow2018.html

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:45 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
So, combined with Adams, that'll be 2, well past their best midfielders, providing around 50, mostly useless possessions, per week. What's not to like?

Geez dude, you’ll be the life at any party 🎈😀 Does anything regarding Collingwood excite you or are they all useless possession losers? 🙄 Seriously, do you rate Craig McRae’s ability to get the best out of any player to perform at his optimum level?

Hmm, not sure how you came to all that by me not rating 2 players but I'll answer your questions anyway. Yes, no and yes

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:21 am

Presti35 wrote:
Mitchell will be great. I just hope the trade is cheap.
He would slot in perfectly and the cost is the sticking point. If the Dawks pay as reported $300k of his contract and we give a 2nd round pick I think that is a reasonable deal. He comes in that's another mid the opposition has to cover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20   

Jump to: