Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE CANNOT, must NOT, lose our next Grand Final!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:21 pm
Post subject: WE CANNOT, must NOT, lose our next Grand Final!Reply with quote

Like many here, I truly believe, with a good run with injuries, we , on top of last years excellent showing under our new Coach and staff, have a fantastic chance of making top four this season, and making the Grand Final too. We ony just missed last season by a lousy point, and the old Cats will start their slide,at long, long last, this season, Duckwood gone, and age will get them now . I reckon we may well smash them in Round 1, we owe them bigtime, revenge is a dish best served cold. Anyway, if we do make the GF, we must not, cannot, and must not lose, it is just out of the question. It just cannot be tolerated, not again, no way Jose. ! Five goals up in 2018, and we blew it yet again, broke our hearts again. Ive seen us lose 11 GFs now, for just 3 wins, and i was too young to recall 1958. We dropped 2011, 2018, drop another one, and the Colliewobbles are back to haunt us, yet again, and the media an other fans, will crucify the club, again.

WE cannot lose our next Grand Final. Period. Cool Question

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our next grand final will be our 50th grand final appearance make it count this time
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:37 pm

Piesnchess, I totally agree with the sentiment but to ensure that it definitely happens is a bit tougher than hoping like hell that this will be achieved. Like you, I’m also a psychologically wounded magpie soldier who will be absolutely bloody gutted if we lost another GF. I’m now at a conundrum stage of life of rather not being in a GF than enduring yet another loss. I have a lifelong magpie mate with whom I have gone to over a thousand games since we were kids but who will lock himself up and watch/listen to a Collingwood GF only on his own every single time. In my case, I’m fully confident and certain that in all logical probability, we will win another flag. The WHEN is the unknown 🤔 And although I have tons of hope and positive feelings about this happening, I can only fervently wish that it will happen before I end up wherever in the hereafter. This is an honest position I find myself in year after year. This is why the 2018 loss hurt me to the bone. But without hope, there’s nothing.
slangman 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:04 pm

I totally agree.

I’ve always thought that we scrounged our way to Grand Finals with teams
that were competitive without being elite. It has been rare for us to have been the dominant team of the era.

2011 was our best team but we were matched by an equally great side. The GF of 1977, 1980, 2002,2003 and 2018 were all blue collar teams that were outclassed by superior opposition.

I sense that we are building for sustained success instead of just hoping that we pinch a premiership.

MagpieWhisperer35 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:27 pm

I’m done watching Pies in GF live. 2018 broke me. 2002 was bad enough.
Oh well it’s not as exciting watching replay but I’ll die of a heart attack so that’s how it is.
Go Pies

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:40 pm

Is the OP copy-pasted from last Feb? Very Happy

90 nice wrote:
Our next grand final will be our 50th grand final appearance make it count this time

15-2-27=44?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:07 pm

I don't know why people bother starting threads like this. I think the list of Collingwood supporters who think that we can and should lose our next Grand Final is probably fairly short.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:57 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't know why people bother starting threads like this. I think the list of Collingwood supporters who think that we can and should lose our next Grand Final is probably fairly short.

Laughing Laughing
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:23 am

There's something here about counting chickens, but anyway.................

In 1988-89, we played in 3 finals and lost them all. There was no reason to think we'd be premiers in 1990. In 2009 we were a good side but Geelong and St Kilda seemed to be a long way ahead of us. There was no reason to think that we'd be premiers in 2010. My point is that how we go in one year doesn't dictate how we'll go the next year.

Geelong was a good side last year, but not as good as many other premiership teams. As well as being a good side, you need a lot of luck to win a premiership. The Swans were a shadow of their best on Grand Final Day and made Geelong look like a super team. In reality, the other good sides fell over. Melbourne flopped and Lions weren't good enough. We were a chance but we had to win that Qualifying Final. There's a line from "The Wire" - "If you come for the king you'd best not miss". We had Geelong on toast in the first quarter but we "missed" and let them off the hook. So Geelong was a bit like Djokovic in the Australian Open - possibly the best anyway but the good opposition fell away.

So, the next time we get to a Grand Final we'd best "not miss". And by the way, I'm sick of hearing people say Geelong's too old or too slow or too anything. They're a good club and they're always up there. We have to emulate that and better it.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:41 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Is the OP copy-pasted from last Feb? Very Happy

90 nice wrote:

15-2-27=44?

Did the poster include night series/pre-season grand finals?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:19 pm

MagpieWhisperer35 wrote:
I’m done watching Pies in GF live. 2018 broke me. 2002 was bad enough.
Oh well it’s not as exciting watching replay but I’ll die of a heart attack so that’s how it is.
Go Pies

Agreed, same here, I cannot watch a GF live, with us in it, the accumulated pain over decades has seared my Magpies soul. 1970, 2018, we kicked first five goals, and still lost both, add Breens point in 66, Harmes boundary line cheating, the disasters of 2002 2011, to name but a few. I will go for a long long walk around Mt Evelyn, bush tracks, get back to car, post match, and put radio on, get the result. If a victory, go nuts and dash home to watch full replay several times, with a few too many whiskies. Thats how I roll form now on. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:42 pm

slangman wrote:
I totally agree.

I’ve always thought that we scrounged our way to Grand Finals with teams
that were competitive without being elite. It has been rare for us to have been the dominant team of the era.

2011 was our best team but we were matched by an equally great side. The GF of 1977, 1980, 2002,2003 and 2018 were all blue collar teams that were outclassed by superior opposition.

I sense that we are building for sustained success instead of just hoping that we pinch a premiership.

This 100%.

We are an overachieving club who play in GF when we have no right to and inevitably fail to the better team.

We also seem to be the only team to consistently lose to interstate teams in GF.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:22 pm

I wouldn’t place much stock on it, but yes, among Victorian clubs, we have the worst record against interstate teams in grand finals:

Hawthorn 4–1
Richmond 2–0
Western Bulldogs 1–0
Geelong 2–2
North Melbourne 1–1
Carlton N/A
Melbourne N/A
St Kilda 0–1
Essendon 0–1
Collingwood 0-3

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:32 pm

Oh well Probability says we are well overdue for a win against an interstater.
npalm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:40 am

No Laz, that's not how probability works. Past events are irrelevant. If I toss 10 heads in a row, the probability of throwing a head again is still 50%.

Unfortunate really, cos if probability did work the way we'd like, then the Pies would win 8 of the next 10 Grand Finals we contest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: