Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE CANNOT, must NOT, lose our next Grand Final!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrysz wrote:
Um, just for the record re 2018 Grand Final, it's ridiculous to say that we lost because of one bad umpiring decision (Rosebury). West Coast won the second quarter, the third quarter and the last quarter. In the last quarter in particular they dominated us. Apart from the first 5 minutes when we kicked 2 goals and a couple of rare forays forward, West Coast had the ball incessantly in attack. They missed several easy chances and then got a goal from the boundary line. The chances were that if not for Sheed's goal they would've got another goal.

Yep, I think a lot of fans have forgotten Jack Darling's inexplicable dropped mark in the goalsquare that happened about a minute later. The most remarkable thing is that the margin ended up being under a goal – we didn't look like scoring at all in the last ten minutes.

(Unfortunately, we ended up in the opposite situation in the 2019 prelim vs GWS and this time we were the ones who couldn't convert despite having the ball locked in our forward 50. So being a Collingwood supporter means you really get to experience the worst of both worlds!)

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:28 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Um, just for the record re 2018 Grand Final, it's ridiculous to say that we lost because of one bad umpiring decision (Rosebury). West Coast won the second quarter, the third quarter and the last quarter. In the last quarter in particular they dominated us. Apart from the first 5 minutes when we kicked 2 goals and a couple of rare forays forward, West Coast had the ball incessantly in attack. They missed several easy chances and then got a goal from the boundary line. The chances were that if not for Sheed's goal they would've got another goal.
The scores were level at three quarter time. The game was up for grabs. West Coast won the last quarter as our boys ran out of puff.

As in 1970 and 1979 we gave up a big lead and lost. And even in 1981 we held a 21 points lead in the third quarter but we still lost. In those 4 Grand Finals we were not fit enough or not good enough or both. Blaming umpires is ridiculous.

As for me, I would never miss a Grand Final in which Collingwood played. Yes seeing us lose is heartbreaking but I was there in 1990 and 2010 and I savoured every moment.

OK, I take your point, but fact is, we still had a lead, a very minor lead, granted, but we led, till Rosebury got us, that was defintely a free to Maynard, The game then takes an entirely different turn, its like sliding doors moment, its all very well to say, the Weagles may have goaled anyway, but there is NO way you can tell that. Maynard kicks it, along boundry, ball in dispute, ball ups, whose to say how it would have gone, with us clinging to a very small lead. ? The ump reamed us, and thats it, Leigh Matthews said it was a howler of a decision, at that point. Bottom line is , we will never know, is done, and was a very very bitter pill to swallow, it upset me as much as 1970, that day of infamy. Confused Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:38 pm

Jack Darling doesn't drop a mark late in the game, WCE win by more than a goal. So yeah, as Harrysz said, WCE won the game more than the umpires won the game.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:45 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Jack Darling doesn't drop a mark late in the game, WCE win by more than a goal. So yeah, as Harrysz said, WCE won the game more than the umpires won the game.

yeh but still doesnt alter the fact, the game takes a whole new turn, had Maynard been paid that free, game goes in different direction, who can say what may have happened. ?? Heck, Len Thompson missed a sitter goal, from goal square, in 1966 GF, shocker miss, we lost by a point, he kicks that, we are Premiers, the swings and roundabouts of outrageous fortune, which has never, ever, favoured us, in GFs. Surprised

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:01 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

yeh but still doesnt alter the fact, the game takes a whole new turn, had Maynard been paid that free, game goes in different direction, who can say what may have happened. ?? Heck, Len Thompson missed a sitter goal, from goal square, in 1966 GF, shocker miss, we lost by a point, he kicks that, we are Premiers, the swings and roundabouts of outrageous fortune, which has never, ever, favoured us, in GFs. Surprised

I mean, using that logic, then you can then blame Langdon for not rushing a behind in the first quarter. He rushes the behind, we get the kick out from a point and the whole game goes in a different direction.

So, Langdon cost us the Premiership.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:26 pm

I blame the frigging footy gods or whoever that gives out the potions of luck or the rub of the green 😡 They absolutely hate Collingwood 🤬
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:26 pm

I blame the frigging footy gods or whoever that gives out the potions of luck or the rub of the green 😡 They absolutely hate Collingwood 🤬
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 pm

dp

Last edited by Piesnchess on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

I mean, using that logic, then you can then blame Langdon for not rushing a behind in the first quarter. He rushes the behind, we get the kick out from a point and the whole game goes in a different direction.

So, Langdon cost us the Premiership.

NO, a million things can happen from Langdon, the Maynard cockup was very late in the match, and could have gone either way, Lazza sums it up above , the fuckingfooty Gods just loathe us, thats a fact. Surprised

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:20 pm

I do not understand why people want to re-live the 2018 Grand Final. After 1/4 time, Collingwood was mostly terrible. The loss was inevitable - 25 goals would have been a fairer reflection of how poor the team actually was. We were only in the game late because we were playing against a poor team that, any other season, might have finished about 15th.

Seriously, losing the midfield contest to that collection of lazy bludgers? A choke of the most disgusting order. It was the worst effort I have ever seen from Collingwood in a Grand Final - and that's saying something because I've seen plenty. The whining about the umpiring is depressing - a half-way decent team would never have been in that position after the lead they created, early.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:20 am

Piesnchess wrote:
NO, a million things can happen from Langdon, the Maynard cockup was very late in the match, and could have gone either way, Lazza sums it up above , the fuckingfooty Gods just loathe us, thats a fact. Surprised

Yes Piesnchess, very hard to argue against a bastard pattern of nothing but sheer bad luck in that 2018 GF. Of course you also have to include our general bad play, poor decision making at times, occasional atrocious umpiring decisions etc but in the same breath luck definitely plays a part. Just ask the tiprat about the 2010 bounce in front of the goals 🙄
Some posters say that teams make their own luck but I have never figured out the logic of involving luck when playing good football under competent umpiring. I’m still trying to make my own luck with winning first division in TattsLotto but failing miserably year after year 😮 Must be sheer bad luck 😭

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:50 am

In 2018 we went into our defensive shells. We became afraid of switching the play. We started kicking the ball down the line and giving up possession by being beaten in the air. It was our own fault.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:47 am

Back in about 1978 we played Hawthorn at Vic Park. With seconds remaining we were a couple of points down. The ball was bouncing towards our goal and our captain Ray Shaw was about to pick it up and put it through. But then a Hawthorn player shoved Shaw in the middle of the back. No free kick was paid, the siren went and we lost.

Our coach Tommy Hafey was on World of Sport the next morning. The first question asked was what he thought of the non-free kick to Shaw which clearly cost us the game. I'll never forget his answer which was " We should never have been in a position where a bad umpiring decision could cost us the game!"

Umpiring decisions, like the weather, are things which are beyond our team's control. Teams which are good enough overcome these adversities. And maybe just maybe there were crucial free kicks not paid to West Coast back in 2018. As supporters of the other side we don't see them. The reality is that they gave us a 5 goals lead and ran us down. The reason for that is a whole lot more complicated than one umpiring decision.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:12 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Yes Piesnchess, very hard to argue against a bastard pattern of nothing but sheer bad luck in that 2018 GF. Of course you also have to include our general bad play, poor decision making at times, occasional atrocious umpiring decisions etc but in the same breath luck definitely plays a part. Just ask the tiprat about the 2010 bounce in front of the goals 🙄
Some posters say that teams make their own luck but I have never figured out the logic of involving luck when playing good football under competent umpiring. I’m still trying to make my own luck with winning first division in TattsLotto but failing miserably year after year 😮 Must be sheer bad luck 😭

Amen comrade, and just on sides playing badly in GFs, both sides, Ive seen that happen a number of times, over the years, in other GFs. Ok, the Weagles were poor and so were we, but the cold hard fact is, it was anyones game with minutes to go, and the roll of the dice went there way, simple as that, and yes, the Tiprat would still be rueing that crazy bounce, that is the only time we have ever had any luck, in any GF that I can recall. Surprised

buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:32 pm

In my naivety after the 1990 GF win, I thought the tide of history would turn and the strike rate of GF's wins to appearances would improve. Rolling Eyes

1 W 4 L & 1 D since Crying or Very sad

We just need to play more GF's to win one than any other team. Here's hoping we are in the GF this year and we can sit back and get ready for more drama, angst and maybe with a bit of luck, Sweet 16!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: