Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE CANNOT, must NOT, lose our next Grand Final!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

lazzadesilva wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Harrysz wrote:

...As for me, I would never miss a Grand Final in which Collingwood played. Yes seeing us lose is heartbreaking but I was there in 1990 and 2010 and I savoured every moment.

I was there in '64, '66, '70, '77 (twice) '79, '80, '81, '02, '03, and '18 and have been deeply scarred by the disappointments.

To be honest, the joy from being there for our glorious victories in 1990 and 2010, pales by comparison with the hurt from all those gut-wrenching losses, particularly 1970.
Sad

šŸ˜Æ šŸ˜® šŸ˜±

To be honest that surprises me. I reckon I have been 5 times happier with a win than a loss. I have seen the losses in 77, 79, 80, 81, 91, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2018 and the wins in 1990 and 2010.

Reckon its because most of those dreadful losses occurred during my youth, and in many respects helped shape (emotionally) the person I am today. Of course our most recent Premierships, especially that of 1990, wiped away some of the hurt from the losses of the 60s, 70s and 80s, but some of that emotional scarring remains. Beating the blues in the 2023 Grand Final would go a long way to fully restoring my emotional well-being. Wink
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:30 pm

^ Amen, precisely, from being a kid in 1964, out at the Royal Show with parents, hearing on a transistor radio we lost by 4 pts, to one point, 66, the utter debacle of 70, 77, 79, 81, stuffed me. 1990 was just relief, not celebration, 2010 was good, great, but soured one yr later, same old scene. The last one was cherry on the cake for me, five pts, que sera sera. Yeh, love to beat the Blues in a GF, last time we did, the Titanic had not sunk yet, an since they have taken 5 flags off us. ! 2023 maybe our time.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Beating the blues in the 2023 Grand Final would go a long way to fully restoring my emotional well-being. Wink

Beating the Blues in the GF would be the ultimate thrill in my life but from what I read and hear, about 6 or 7 other top clubs are going to be extremely strong and hard to beat this season šŸ˜Ÿ so making the GF might be a tad difficult. But if we are in it, we must win it. If it is against the scum, no other motivation is required. Just find extra ammunition to shoot them down with.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:00 pm

Well I was born in 1977 so way too young to remember 77 79 80 and 81
I did think to myself in 1990 wow I feel for you older folk but lucky me I see a Collingwood premiership and Iā€™m at a nice age of 13 wow what a way to start my teenage years
Then I just couldnā€™t avoid it I guess come 2002 and 2003 I felt like Iā€™m cheap skater runner ups suck
2010 for mine was a nice feeling and like a finally moment
I agree with you all that 2018 is the one that broke me
I also agree next grand final is a must win
I did say to myself that 90 was nice as long as we donā€™t wait till 2090 that is
I feel Collingwood premiership window is just starting to crank open
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:11 pm

For Collingwood in my lifetime the hardest and worst times was between 2004-2008 those 4-5 years after back to back grand final losses sucked in particular 2004 and 2005 and 2006
And any year between 2012 or 2011 GF lose right through to 2021
Totally sucked
I enjoyed the 90s actually we tried hard and honest battling toilers
I feel on reflection 02 was a choke 03 we were just out played
Pity it took Malthouse longer to win a flag then Mathewā€™s
I think Craig McRae is a great coach and will suit Collingwood
Like to see us develop our own successful game style like it to be hard tough entertaining and ruthless as well as highly skilled
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:52 am

90 Nice - I think it's grossly unfair to call 2002 a choke. The 9 points we lost by was the widest margin of the day. It's not like we missed goals from right in front as we did in 1966.

Do we really need to be playing Carlton in a Grand Final to have the extra motivation to win? Surely playing in a Grand Final against anyone is enough motivation. The Collingwood/Carlton rivalry is a supporters' thing. None of the present players had even been born the last time Carlton beat us in a Grand Final.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:12 am

In the 1977 drawn Grand Final, brilliant and flamboyant Phil Carman was not there because he got rubbed out in the semi final win. The following week we lost the GF replay. Carman became a hated player (at least in my eyes) and left Collingwood. This was one of the blackest periods in the history of Collingwood FC, IMHO.

Just imagine what could have been, we were the best side but relying too much on an individual, then missed out on the flag. However, in the 2010 drawn GF against St.Kilda I thought it was a good team effort by a young side. We were lucky and winning easily the following week was a big relief.

I enjoyed the 1990 GF when we thrashed Essendon and broke the drought from 1959. We won with a superior disciplined mindset. ATM (last year) we are not winning substantially against other sides. If we don't address it quickly, we are setting ourselves up again for much pain.

ā¤ļøļø
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:02 pm

I loved 1990 was like a fairytale and like a dream for any budding kid.

And was great to stick it too all of my hawks bandwagoners mates at school who i had to put up with ala 1983,1986,1988 and 1989.

But to be honest Collingwood now to reverse the results of past gfs and win them.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:15 pm

Harrysz wrote:
90 Nice - I think it's grossly unfair to call 2002 a choke. The 9 points we lost by was the widest margin of the day. It's not like we missed goals from right in front as we did in 1966.

Do we really need to be playing Carlton in a Grand Final to have the extra motivation to win? Surely playing in a Grand Final against anyone is enough motivation. The Collingwood/Carlton rivalry is a supporters' thing. None of the present players had even been born the last time Carlton beat us in a Grand Final.

I donā€™t see it that way. Players should have read about all the specific rivalry, tradition and pure hatred we have for Carlscum. Even if it one percent more, it should be that way towards motivation to beat the filth. We must never lose a GF to these bastards ever again.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:00 pm

I am a little bit younger, so I missed the 60's 70's and 80's.
My first Pies GF was 1990
02 and 03 hurt a lot, as did 2011.

2018 was heartache. I have relatives who have seen 11 losing grand finals and 2018 is the worst one they have been to in all their life.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:00 pm

I am a little bit younger, so I missed the 60's 70's and 80's.
My first Pies GF was 1990
02 and 03 hurt a lot, as did 2011.

2018 was heartache. I have relatives who have seen 11 losing grand finals and 2018 is the worst one they have been to in all their life.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:54 pm

To me 2002 did not hurt.

I felt at least we made it feeling and like it was a hell fo alot better then the stuff we dished up between 1995-1999 let say and we were like wow we get to play finals again.
I took 2002 really good and like i felt proud and i kind of liked it.
2003 kind of the one we should have gone 1 more step kind of the last of the good times till the down ward sprial from 2004-2008.
I hated 2011 the most as we had a flag winning team from 2010 and malthouse was still coach.
2018 as well but like we should have nver played finals that year and was extemely lucky to get that far.
I am looking forward to our next grand final to be honest.
I think we can give it a red hot crack this time.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:04 am

2002 was not a choke - anyone who saw that season knew that. Port choked, we prevailed, right up until the last quarter. If they gave Rocca's goal as a goal (instead of a point, we were right behind it, we were cheering a goal!) it was as good as over. BUT they didn't, and Voss won a couple of crucial touches and history is as history is.

2003 was much much worse - we were a better team in Melbourne, at the first final we were all celebrating, but come grand final they knew they couldn't go 4 quarters so they destroyed us in one. Of all the grandfinal defeats I've seen, that one hurts the most...

0- Ben
Boot 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:47 pm

When it comes to Grand Final heartbreaks Collingwood are world champions at it. Sad
1964 loss to Melbourne by 4 points after their back pocket player, Neil Crompton kicks the final goal of the match after the legendary run by the Magpie giant Ray Gabelich's dramatic goal put the Magpies three points in front with minutes to play. If only the Collingwood resting rover, Mick Bone had stayed in position rather than try and flood the backline...what could have been.
1966 loss to St.Kilda by 1 point. If only Ted Potter hadn't had his kick smothered for the ball to fall into the hands of St,Kilda's youngster Barry Breen in the hectic last minutes of the game...what could have been.
The loss to Carlton in 1970 after being 44 points up at half time set the legend of Colliwobbles and was a real sliding doors moment for Collingwood and the VFL. If only Tuddy hadn't taken out McKenna with an accidental bump before half time... what could have been!
Similarly the 1977 drawn grand final after being 27 points up at three quarter time. If only Fabulous Phil Carman hadn't charged through Tuck on the boundry in the Qualifying Final... what could have been.
2002 Pebbles Goal that wasn't given. If that goal umpire hadn't made that mistake and given Collingwood the goal... what could have been.
2011 Malthouse leaving an injured Ben Reid on Hawkins when a fit Chris Tarrant was available to do the job...what could have been.
2018 If only the umpire hadn't put the whistle away and awarded Maynard the free kick that everyone saw was there... what could have been.

Lots of heartache amongst those memories, hopefully the current team can rise again to achieve greatness of their own and help ease the heartbreak that Collingwood have endured since 1959.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:27 pm

2018 was worse than 2002 & 2003 combined. I think I had tears the whole way home. Was just in shock when the siren went.

2003 we played shithouse.

2002 felt like the old honourable loss

2011 just felt like a waste.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: