Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Congratulations to Daniel Andrews 3000 days

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

But Dan was unable to answer any questions when he was interviewed by IBAC as he could not recall what promises he made the union or what discussions he had with anyone.

Basically it says it was corruption but because they can only deal in criminal conduct and no one was able to admit responsibility, it is just another bad Dan, don’t do it again report.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 12:19 am

Rundle doesn't pull any punches:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2023/04/21/operation-daintree-report-daniel-andrews-victorian-government-ibac/

Quote:
The HWU — technically HSU No.1 branch of the Health Services Union — is a broken-down dog of a branch, which treats its low-paid workers, many lacking English-language skills, as cheap marks. Relentlessly loss-making in real terms in the past decade, it had to sell its headquarters for $7 million to stay afloat in 2016. Even so, it lost $3.3 million in equity overall in that period.

In 2021, it disguised a half-million-dollar loss in its accounts by counting the donation of 40,000 L’Oreal skincare packages as a $1.9m “donation”. Headed by Kathy Jackson until 2012, before her convictions for misusing union funds, the branch should have been dissolved years ago, its members reassigned to branches that would represent them. But as the sideline “skunkworks” union in the factional system, it remains protected, for the simple reason that dealing with it once and for all would create more mayhem than most people judge to be worth it.

Here’s the thing the Daintree report can’t say really explicitly. Everyone up the line to Premier Andrews himself knows this about the HWU, and knows — as a first principle of Victorian politics — that the training contract was being handed to a satellite organisation of a union with a long history of corruption and mismanagement so comprehensive as to seem willful. The HEF had zero claim to be a competent training authority. It had no RTO status, no track record, and at the time it was not even formally incorporated — so money channelled could not have been recovered for non-completion of contract.

[...]

The real scandal, for anyone on the progressive side of politics, is: where did this bloody money sent to the HEF actually go? This is taxpayers’ money, provided to help low-paid workers in tough jobs. Where has it actually gone? Into the pockets of anyone with access to the HEF and HWU expenses’ provisions and accounts.

Which leads to the next question: did the Victorian premier open up a $3 million pipeline of taxpayers’ funds with the full expectation that it would be splashed against a wall, however much was used?

Why is it so easy to do this? Is it because people with names like Andrews and Hennessy can treat non-Anglo, low-English-skills workers with a basic cultural-racist contempt? Why is that acceptable to people in Labor that it happens again and again and again? Why is there no motivating shame at this, sufficient to prompt action from someone within this movement to break ranks and openly, publicly condemn it?

[...]

The contempt Andrews displayed towards reporters and the IBAC process yesterday wasn’t about them. It was a displaced form of the contempt he has developed for working people, and their outrageous demands to be properly represented by a union. It is the corruption of the soul of someone who joined the party in his teenage years, presumably wanting to make the world a better place. In turn, Andrews is spiritually corrupting the Victorian Labor Party, his centralisation of power having not merely an organisationally corrosive effect but poisoning it internally from the top down. Ultimately, he is disgracing the labour movement he leads, handed to him as a sacred trust.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:08 am

The “grey” corruption extending to public servants, private contractors and the like:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/public-servants-wined-dined-and-given-gifts-totalling-34-000-20230421-p5d28k.html

I have to confess, I just handed back more than 20 bic biros which I put in my shirt pocket at the beginning of a shift then go home with them simply forgetting that I had them. There’d be another 20 I reckon.

I didn’t disclose my share portfolio with bic.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:16 am

IBAC needs to be ICAC. The opposition has been so weak in Vic that the thrice elected Premier of Victoria has been able to maintain IBAC.

Still he didn’t disclose future dealings to his partner to profit from, like Gladys did. NSW system of course is much stronger than Vics and should be the model Nationwide.

Before the thrice elected Premier of Victoria the right honourable Daniel Andrews becomes the fourth term elected Premier he should introduce an ICAC to replace IBAC.

But to quote the Premier; it is educational.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:45 am

David wrote:
Rundle doesn't pull any punches:

I usually need a dictionary to read Rundle. He does go way OTT, that at times not unlike this time you think he’s forgotten to take his Lithium.

Still we need more Guy Rundles in this world.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
IBAC needs to be ICAC. The opposition has been so weak in Vic that the thrice elected Premier of Victoria has been able to maintain IBAC.

Still he didn’t disclose future dealings to his partner to profit from, like Gladys did. NSW system of course is much stronger than Vics and should be the model Nationwide.

Before the thrice elected Premier of Victoria the right honourable Daniel Andrews becomes the fourth term elected Premier he should introduce an ICAC to replace IBAC.

If Dan moves to implement a proper ICAC, we'll know he's about to retire.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 2:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

If Dan moves to implement a proper ICAC, we'll know he's about to retire.

At the end of 12 years one would think that’s a fair time as leader. Will he see out the 12 years?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:32 pm

^

probably.

Personally I'd love to see him resign in disgrace but with his toothless IBAC and his ability to micromanage through centralised power yet simultaneously manage to avoid all blame, he's more likely to resign next year before the full extent of the mess the budget is in gets out and he can leave a Labor Hero with the mess left to a woman to clean up.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:59 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

probably.

Personally I'd love to see him resign in disgrace but with his toothless IBAC and his ability to micromanage through centralised power yet simultaneously manage to avoid all blame, he's more likely to resign next year before the full extent of the mess the budget is in gets out and he can leave a Labor Hero with the mess left to a woman to clean up.

Just needs to clean up the Fire brigade, the CFA, expand the ALP’s great work with TAFE, protect forests from logging (his biggest sin) more money for public education and the hospitals, then he can go.

If the Libs persist with Moira Deeming type religious nutters as candidates/ elected members then the ALP will be looking at a 4th term.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:11 pm

^

Oh, the Libs are $%$ed, particularly in Victoria. Labor should be marking in a 4th term in permanent marker. The best the Libs can hope for at the next election is to get within striking distance for the one after that, keeping mind that state elections normally go against the Federal Government of the day.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:35 pm

Let's not forget when Labor got nearly totally wiped out in Queensland and then came back to win four years later under Palaszczuk. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that a party is out of the race this far out.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:40 pm

The so called Danslide was less than Bracks got in 2002 and even the last election, the ALP have the same amount of seats as 2006, so the margin definitely isn’t the issue, it’s whether the opposition can turn it around or if Dans resignation for ‘personal reasons’ results in the same turnaround as Bracks ‘personal reasons’’ resignation.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:53 pm

David wrote:
Let's not forget when Labor got nearly totally wiped out in Queensland and then came back to win four years later under Palaszczuk. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that a party is out of the race this far out.

That was Queensland. Victorian Libs have a loooong way to go to make themselves electable.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:27 pm

Often the old adage “It’s the economy, stupid” determines elections.
You can never rule out the Lib Nats in a two horse race but as noted earlier if they align themselves with fringe nutters as they continue to do then it makes their job harder to regain government.

Should the Murdoch press continue to embrace fringe views too then the Libs job will also be that much harder.

There’s a long way to go to make any realistic predictions.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

That was Queensland. Victorian Libs have a loooong way to go to make themselves electable.

Libs sacked all the useless oxygen thieving public servants infesting the workforce, and paid them out. Took a razor to the budget.

Labour <snip>s rehired them all after their payouts. Wile E Coyote type genius.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: