Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood Netball

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:05 pm
Post subject: Collingwood NetballReply with quote

I think we need a section like every other things are covered.

We need a department for Collingwood netball.

I think the netball is forgotten way to easy.

BTW they are going well as well.
maurs64 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 11:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably won't need a separate Netball section. News on ABC Radio is that our netball team is going to fold this year. It's going under review at the club, which almost always means it's the end. Explains why the team is playing so badly at the moment! And there are probably not enough members to keep it going! Doesn't help that Netball Australia schedule games against AFLM either!
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 12:34 pm

The review was only announced this week so can't see how that has impacted performances to date.

Apart from the Fever game where they were whopped by 20+ points, the Pies have been competitive in all games. They just haven't got the consistency over 4 quarters to win games and haven't been able to capitalise on gains during games.

The way SSN games are structured with the 2 point super shot, a game can be won/lost in the last 5 minutes. And in netball, it only takes a couple of centre passes not scored off or a couple turnovers, to turn the game around.

Against the Giants on Sunday, the Pies gave a penalty in the last 30 seconds of each qtr which resulted in a 2 point super shot.

They started the season OK but after the Vixens game umpiring debacle, things have not gone well.

Clashes with footy have definitely affected attendances and there has never really been enough promotion of games to footy members ie. discount tickets.

Netball Victoria will be laughing into their prosecco at the potential demise of the Pies. They have never supported another team in Victoria, especially one backed by Collingwood. If you have ever been involved in netball you will know how bitchy and insular it can be.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:34 pm

Agree Dark Beanie.

Was good fun at the time but time we moved on from Netball.

Look lack of funding and support from Netball Vic and Netball aust really means that we need to close shop.

Its a shame but thats progress.

Not helped they knocked back Gina Rhineharts millions of dollars.

Yep as they say politics got in the way of sucess.

Pity that attendance is so low.

Why have the games on the same time as the AFL is ridululous.

I like the game just as i like say womens tennis but to me the netball game can be bitchy sometimes and like selfish kind of sport at times.

I really like netball but i think some egos have got in the way of it been a real great game to promote.

I still follow Vixens though and always have and even was a Melbourne phonix member and Vixens member before Collingwood got in the suncorp comp.

To me i feel Collingwood will fold at seasons end and a team from regional Vic will come in.

Like to see Collingwood focus on the footy myself.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 1:45 pm

Vixens are like Carlton to me.

If the Pies fold, I don't think I will bother with netball.

maurs64 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:54 pm

I'm with you DB. I won't be going to the netball anymore if Collingwood folds. And I hate the Vixens too. Cheating bunch of bitches. Best thing to happen last season was the grand final being bought by Perth. Suck shit top of the table Vixens! If you want the grand final in Melbourne, you have to pay for it!
I agree that there hasn't been enough promotion of the netball club and memberships. I guess the club thought that 20-30% of football members may also become netball members, but that hasn't happened. On court failure has also hindered member numbers. Highest finish is 4th. No finals wins. One, and now maybe two bottom finishes. Hard to attract new members, or keep existing members. I also believe there are netball fans with both Vixen & Collingwood memberships.
And the scheduling of matches at the same time as the footy doesn't help either!
Having watched the team since 2017, nothing seems to change. They are very rarely a four quarter team. On Sunday they only won the 1st quarter, lost all the rest and were comfortably defeated, as they have been for most of this season.
And just because the players & coaches were officially told about the review yesterday, doesn't mean that the rumour mill wasn't running for weeks before. I also think that bad umpiring error at the Vixens game also has been a factor for our form slump this year.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:49 pm

Way to harsh on vixens.
I was given a free membership from the vixens as part of my membership at Melbourne park
I was a much bigger fan of Melbourne back in the phoenix days when the likes of southby and McMahon was playing for them to me they still are the most successful ever netball club in the world and when vixens took over I followed them.
Helped that they offered me a free membership not like Collingwood netball has ever done.
Collingwood netball are ok but lacked loyalty and bang for buck.
Also always thought it was only a temporary thing anyway and like gathered some interest in the sport.
Knocking back Gina rhineharts sponsership will finally be the nail in the coffin in Suncorp netball who Suncorp does not give any money to it anyway.
2 years and the comp will end and there will be a more regional domestic comp.
Collingwood will end this season.
Can’t see the rest of the comp continuing after 2024.
But way to harsh on vixens my teams I dispise hate are from Queensland they raided the comp and poached more then actually built success the right way for themselves.
Socially netball is strong but too much politics at top end.
It’s a shame.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:49 pm

Giants are another team in the same boat as Collingwood talks there of a possible fold.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:37 pm

Nah, bugger the Vixens.

The Pies supported the Vixens prior to joining the competition but Netball Victoria gave them the cold shoulder once we joined the SSN. One of the reasons the Pies elected to link up with netball in Tasmania, the realised they wouldn't get any assistance from Netball Vic.

I don't think any of the SSN clubs make a profit. Some clubs like Lightning and Thunderbirds play at venues with lower overheads but even they struggle to cover all their costs.

There is also the uncertainty across the competition about contacts for next season. There is currently no agreement b/w the players and Netball Aust regarding the CPA. No one currently has a contract after 2023.

Opinion piece from Madi Browne, former Pies player:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/netball/madison-browne-opinion-after-little-to-no-support-its-no-wonder-netballs-battlers-are-about-to-fold/news-story/572e1ace7b69d81f7efe18d6f08be973

The fact that NA is not willing to offer any assistance to the Pies to keep them in the competition backs up her view.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:49 pm

As said the suncorp netball comp will end after the next 2024 comp.

Theres just no money in the game anymore.

We will always have the Aussie national team but this will be just about it.

I think the game in the current comp and format has run its course and its time for the game to go back to its grass roots again and re build from there.

Plus not having money doesnt help.

It did if they took up Ginas offer but politics got in the way of it been a really good success.

Start of the end and no to fold the comp and go back to grass roots and regional is the way to go.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:05 pm

Confirmed, Pies will exit SSN.

Geelong Netball have already confirmed they are not interested for next season, looking at entry in 2028.

Tassie Netball appears to be the only other group interested.
Maybe the Titans (Gold Coast) but Netball Qld may have an issue with another Qld team.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:55 pm

Good riddance. We’re a FOOTBALL club, and we were losing over a million bucks a year keeping the netball afloat. We’re under no obligation to keep going with it, and all the angry people in netball can go jump.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:19 pm

Thanks Mr Miyagi, your support for the athletes that wore the B&W dress and worked hard to represent the club in a positive way is appreciated Rolling Eyes

As a foundation netball member, I am not so much angry (OK I am angry with the netball mafia but we won't go there) as disapointed that the netball team has folded. But anyone who has supported the team could see that things were not great. Would have preferred if they had transitioned out of the sport, maybe by expanding their partnership in Tassie & ultimately licence to Tassie.

A couple of players were retiring anyway - Ash & Geva - but hopefully the remaining players will get contracts with other teams.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:42 pm

Be angry with Netball Australia and Gina Iceheart, not the Collingwood FootballClub.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 5:38 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Be angry with Netball Australia and Gina Iceheart, not the Collingwood FootballClub.

Why Gina Rinehart?

The players didn't want her sponsor money.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The AFLW Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: