Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Chronicles of Lidia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
“It’s sad people are utilising whatever they can to drag me down when we’re trying to discuss important issues in this country,” she said.

Delusional much?

“We’re sick of asking the Government, we’re sick of standing like poor people saying, ‘Can you give us some money? Can you help us?’ We’re sick of it.”

Sick of it? My word.... and we the taxpayers, pay this lunatic 100's of 1000's a year. Wow.

To be fair, it seems pretty clear in the second quote that she's talking about Indigenous people more broadly, not herself.

It's also true that the focus on her and her behaviour, rather than the issues at stake around the referendum, is a distraction. Unfortunately, she has to take responsibility for that, because nobody else put her in that position.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:08 pm

Apparently her Dad was on Sky News during the week, I read an extract of the interview somewhere.

Her Dad is white, English and Irish Convict ancestry, he's dissapointed that she refuses to acknowledge that part of her heritage and outright called her a racist against white people.

he also debunked any notion of mental health issues and said she was just a strong person. She may be sharper than I/we give her credit for and is working on the theory that any publicity is good publicity, but personally I think she's an attention seeking idiot.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:02 pm

Yeah, we shouldn't be so quick to pathologise difference of opinion. Plenty of opinionated and self-important people exist across the political spectrum, but we don't necessarily diagnose them with mental illness as a result.

The difficulty is when doing things that most people would consider antisocial (including getting into screaming matches with random strangers) is considered justifiable on ideological grounds – indeed, not only justifiable, but something that needs to be done, because civility is seen as compliance with an oppressive system.

Unfortunately I think there's also a conflation Thorpe is making between people being rude to her personally and people seeking to undermine her cause. I remember a similar attitude from Clementine Ford when I said something (admittedly) mean to her on Facebook: my issue was solely with her and what she represents as a newspaper columnist / internet persona (as basically the feminist Andrew Bolt, preaching to the choir and whipping up outrage against small targets), but in her view I was just another misogynistic man who "can't handle strong women" or whatever. In her world, those two things seem to be indistinguishable.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:37 am

Most of what Thorpe says is on the money. However, her judgement needs to be queried. Placing herself in situations where she does draw negative attention to herself as she seems to do a fair bit doesn’t instill confidence.

Enough with the shouty persona.

On the other hand if the extremist nutters on Sky News and other Murdoch rags are “outraged” then she’s likely doing something right.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Apparently her Dad was on Sky News during the week, I read an extract of the interview somewhere.

Her Dad is white, English and Irish Convict ancestry, he's dissapointed that she refuses to acknowledge that part of her heritage and outright called her a racist against white people.

he also debunked any notion of mental health issues and said she was just a strong person. She may be sharper than I/we give her credit for and is working on the theory that any publicity is good publicity, but personally I think she's an attention seeking idiot.

Are well there’s a fiery mix!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:20 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-15/peter-dutton-dumps-senator-david-van-from-liberal-party-room/102481814

She's back. Makes allegations against a Senator Van under Parliamentary Privilege, then withdraws them, then makes generalised accusations against unnamed men in the corridors of power.

My impression of her is that she's more likely to physically rip the balls off any bloke who made unwanted advances to her than cower in a corner, but I don't know her personally.

Interesting timing. Is it legit? Is it bandwagon jumping? She's a hard book to read.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Hard to know what's going on here, but all I can say is I doubt that Peter Dutton would have removed this guy from the party room if he had reason to think that Thorpe was making completely baseless allegations.

The ABC article also suggests that she only withdrew the comments because of rules around casting aspersions on other senators' character.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:10 pm

Larissa Waters of the Greens has disclosed to the Senate that Lidia Thorpe told her 2 years ago that the Liberal Senator did what Lidia said he did. Thorpe chose then not to go public with it because it would have detracted in her view from Brittany Higgins.

The Liberal Van is a “dead man walking” .

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:44 pm

Even more so now that a former Liberal Party senator has come out with testimony about him doing something similar to her:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/former-liberal-senator-amanda-stoker-accuses-david-van-of-sexual-harassment-20230615-p5dgz6.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:51 pm

David wrote:
Even more so now that a former Liberal Party senator has come out with testimony about him doing something similar to her:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/former-liberal-senator-amanda-stoker-accuses-david-van-of-sexual-harassment-20230615-p5dgz6.html

While her manner at times can be grating and divisive I gotta give her her dues; she’s courageous. Loved her parting shot at the increasingly irrelevant Pauline Hanson when away from the parliamentary microphone Hanson kept on saying bullshit and referred to Thorpe’s brave and distressing disclosure as crocodile tears told Hanson to “F*ck off Pauline” as she was leaving.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: