Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A matter of Stats : Collingwood team & player statistics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:34 pm
Post subject: A matter of Stats : Collingwood team & player statisticsReply with quote

After 7 rounds (top 5 numbers in each category):

Disposals - N Daicos 247, J Daicos 195, Mitchell 178, Sidebottom 158, Noble 152
Marks - Noble 42, Moore 39, N Daicos 37, Maynard 33, Sidebottom 32
Contested Marks - Moore 14, Johnson 8, Mihocek and Cameron 7, Frampton 6
Marks inside 50 - Mihocek 12, Elliott 11, Johnson 8, Hill 8, De Goey 7
Intercept Marks - Moore 23, Murphy 15, Quaynor 14, Maynard 12, Frampton 12
Tackles - Mitchell 36, McCreery 30, Pendlebury 29, Sidebottom 27, Crisp 26
Tackles inside 50 - Elliott 11, McCreery 8, Adams 7, Mihocek 6, Hill 5
Clearances - Mitchell 44, De Goey 39, J Daicos 31, Pendlebury 27, Adams 26
Centre Clearances - De Goey 19, Mitchell 18, Pendlebury 12, Adams 9, J Daicos 6
Stoppage Clearances - Mitchell 26, J Daicos 25, De Goey 20, Adams 17, Pendlebury 15
Contested Possessions - Mitchell 90, De Goey 71, J Daicos 64, Crisp 59, Sidebottom 58
Intercept Possessions - Moore 58, Quaynor 52, Maynard 40, Murphy 36, Sidebottom 32, Noble 32
Ground Ball Gets - Mitchell 63, J Daicos 49, De Goey 48, N Daicos 47, Sidebottom 45, Crisp 45
Forward 50 Ground Ball Gets - Mihocek 13, Elliott 12, Hill 12, Sidebottom 10, Crisp 9
Inside 50s - N Daicos 33, De Goey 31, Mitchell 27, J Daicos 27, Sidebottom 24
Hitouts - Frampton 87 (22 to advantage), Cameron 82 (29 to advantage), Cox 25 (9 to advantage), McStay 19 (6 to advantage), Johnson 11 (2 to advantage)
Goals - Mihocek 14, Hill 10, De Goey 7, McCreery 7, N Daicos 6, Ash Johnson 6
Goal assists - Crisp 8, Sidebottom 7, DeGoey 7, Elliott 6, Hill 5, Pendlebury 5, Adams 5
Behinds - Elliott 9, Johnson 7, De Goey 6, Mihocek 4, Hill 4, Adams 4
Score Involvements - N Daicos 51, Pendlebury 50, De Goey 46, Sidebottom 43, J Daicos 43
Score Launches - N Daicos 14, Cameron 13, J Daicos 13, Sidebottom 12, Mitchell 11
Rebound 50s - Noble 36, Moore 34, N Daicos 32, Maynard 21, Murphy 18
Pressure Acts - Crisp 147, Mitchell 132, Sidebottom 123, Maynard 117, McCreery 115
Defensive Half Pressure Acts - Maynard 91, Noble 65, Mitchell 63, Sidebottom 62, N Daicos 62
1%ers - Moore 62, Murphy 44, Maynard 33, Frampton 32, Quaynor 20
Spoils - Moore 54, Murphy 37, Frampton 28, Maynard 20, Quaynor 14
AF Points - N Daicos 832, J Daicos 677, Mitchell 652, Sidebottom 608, Noble 596
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How good has unsung hero Noble been? Some here have gone to town knocking him but they are very very quiet now. He just does his job but what stands out is his manic desperation for the ball and in defending. He is having an outstanding season so far and will do well in the Copeland.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:09 am

Mitchells addition is surely the best move by Collingwood in years. Look at his involvement in; clearances, ground ball gets and tackles. The main areas that needed attention going into this season.
Sensational.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

..No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:18 pm

I got this from "The Age" page. Did a quick Ctl C and beat the lock and captured the content, Lol.

A few Stats for John Noble from the Adelaide game.
(I edited from article "The link between Noble and Franklin" by Peter Ryan May 2, 2023)

Collingwood defender John Noble’s late goal in the Magpies’ thrilling one-point win over Adelaide in round seven made him an unlikely hero, but it would take a brave person to say it put him in the same company as Sydney champion Lance Franklin. We discovered that Noble and “Buddy” indeed have something in common.

Sunday’s win was the seventh time in Noble’s 76 games so far that he has been involved in a game decided by one point, meaning a remarkable 9.2 per cent of his games have been decided by a one-point margin.

Buddy won’t want to be reminded, but Sydney’s one-point loss to the Giants on Saturday was also the seventh time in his remarkable career he has been involved in a game decided by a one-point margin. Of course, Buddy has played 354 games and kicked 1054 goals, meaning just 1.97 per cent of his games have been decided by the narrowest of margins.

The comparison underlines Collingwood’s remarkable run since Noble made his debut in a one-point win over West Coast in 2019 when Nathan Buckley was coach. The round seven matchwinner, was just the fifth career goal for the 26-year-old, who became a rookie via the mid-season draft.

Other Comparisons

In contrast, Noble’s alchemist coach Craig McRae played in just four one-point wins in his 195 games at the Lions, and Collingwood’s longest-serving player – Noble’s teammate Scott Pendlebury – has played in 12 one-pointers in 364 games so far. The champion missed Sunday’s thriller after suffering a poke in the eye on Anzac Day against the Bombers.

In one indication of how remarkable Collingwood’s run is, Nick Daicos has already played in 14 games decided by less than 10 points in his 32-game career, including three one-point games.

Statistician's Comparisons

Having established Noble’s connection to Buddy, we asked footy statistician, which player had played in the most games decided by one point, and it’s former Sydney and Fitzroy great Paul Roos with 14. He also confirmed that Collingwood’s Isaac Quaynor has the highest percentage of games decided by one point for players who have played more than 50 games. More than one in 10, or 10.6 per cent of his 66 games, have been decided by just one point.

Of course, as is often the case when it comes to Collingwood, Buddy can have the last laugh knowing that one of his one-point wins came over the Magpies in last year’s preliminary final, with Noble (and Quaynor) on the losing side.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:34 pm

Adding to the stats discussion, I have been playing around with some of the stats and one of the things I came up with is comparing the expected output of a player to their actual output (statistically). Obviously we'd love to have a team of superstars, but the reality is the cap doesn't allow it, and you need role players too.

If I can get it to work, the table below shows each round, and player so far this year, along with their average player rating (I think this is the AFL player rating - not supercoach). The table shows how many points each game they were better (green) or worse (red) than their average. So regardless of whether you're Nick/Jordy or Trey Ruscoe, green means you're playing better than expected and red means your playing worse. (Dont @ me about stats being rubbish - it is what it is - but ask yourself if what you see on this table matches what your eyes are telling you...???)

Interestingly - a lot of our good players were down against the Crows - perhaps as a result of the short turn around. Hopefully will be better this week with a longer break. (Elliott, Crisp, Maynard, DeGoey, Adams, Josh and Nick all below their average). Frampton is delivering against expectations - could he be the Mason Cox replacement in a year or two (second ruck)? Checkers, McReery and Hosko are delivering relative to their rank.

Given you cant overhaul your list mid-season (it often takes several seasons), you have to make do with what you have got. The more players you can get playing at/above their expected output regardless of their talent, the more we can laud the coaches for getting the best out of the list.

Capture.GIF

think better 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:55 pm

Great work Pies4shaw - the Daici effect is pretty profound, as is Mitchel and Moore in major categories. De Goey is having hos best all round seson
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:13 pm

I like it piffdog
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:16 pm

^^^
Piffdog, that’s a good presentation. It’s a good way to represent the team collective in the chosen game.
Question - is the player average derived from their 2022 seasons performances ? ( I assume it’s not a rolling average )
People are too quick to denounce statistics. They still remain a great tool whenever the parameters are strict and sample range is large.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 10:36 pm

You can get the stats from a site called wheeloratings.com.

I’m pretty sure they are weighted over the last 1-2- seasons with more recent games having greater weight. I think he does it very close to the official AFL system.

Here’s a link to the AFL method if you’re interested.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/PlayerRatings/PlayerRatings_HOW.pdf

Obviously if a player continues to play above their average then the average will gradually increase.

Super interesting. I find it helpful in assessing lesser players against their own previous performances. As I said, not everyone can get 45 touches and kick 4.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 11:09 pm

^^^

Cheers. I will take a look.
DT 

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 11:46 pm

Nice one. Wheelo is not champion data AFL ratings though. It is a different one. CD have taken their ratings out of the public domain this year.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:53 pm

This is great. Thanks for posting, P4S.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:07 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
How good has unsung hero Noble been?

If he was a couple of inches taller, the scribes would be lauding him as an AA cert.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
think better 

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 2:17 pm
Post subject: Smother countReply with quote

I am pretty sure we are smothering kicks a lot more this year - anyone know where someone collects these stats and has comparisons with previous years?
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 7:50 pm

You hardly ever see much these days in AFL.
Not many smothers.
Its rare to see it.
Todays game not much pressure on the kick due to rules and injury i guess.
I think Sidebottom is the one that comes to mind in this department.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: