Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sooo, will YOU Booo Grundy ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

easiest position on the field? Shocked

Never played Ruck have you. Wing is the easiest position on the field if you have a good tank.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:04 pm

Club has gone from bottom 2 last year, struggling this season including losing tot he second worst team in the comp to being a top 4 contender. The turnaround only happened after Grundy went down, the club would be stupid to not looks at their options.

It was a previous incompetent management that screwed the club for the next 7 years, it would be even more incompetent and negligent to not try and rectify it.

Anyone who thinks after 3 terrible years, Grundy is going to miraculously come back from injury and turn it around is kidding themselves. But then again, how many of the Grundy lovers denied for years that Buckley was a shit coach?
Prexm68 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:28 pm

The turnaround happened after the Bulldogs game when we stopped playing the likes of Callum Brown and Madgen who are very poor footballers not dual Copeland trophy winners.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:37 pm

So you’ll hold the 30th-40th players on the list responsible for poor performances, but not the highest paid?

Grundy hasn’t looked anything like a Copeland trophy winner since coincidentally the day he signed his lifetime contract…
Prexm68 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:49 pm

It is true that Grundy is being overpaid and has been far from out best player since he signed the big conttract but we did have two heavy losses after he got injured. My argument is when we realised that two regulars in C Brown and Madgen were no good it helped the side more than Grundy being out. Money doesn’t come into winning games or not for this year.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:05 am

Cox finally coming in for Grundy made the difference, we haven’t lost a game since.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:39 am

It is a long shot, but what if the combination of a newly-confident Cameron and Cox in ruck, and ruck-rover/mid Grundy, turned out to be the wild card that propelled us over the top ?

Something remarkable has changed these last six weeks, and the three-tall combination could beckon us to lumbering disaster, or to something no-one has the wherewithal to counter in the air. We are likely to need something unique to take us above the top contenders, and I cannot see where else it is going to come from. So I am at least looking forward to the results of the experiment.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:41 pm

Meredith1965 wrote:
It is a long shot, but what if the combination of a newly-confident Cameron and Cox in ruck, and ruck-rover/mid Grundy, turned out to be the wild card that propelled us over the top ?

Are you saying Cox & Grundy at the same centre bounce??.. They are not Stanley and Blicavs.

Mind you from memory, a few years back we had both Grundy AND Witts compete at ruck stoppages against i think it was Mumford [GWS]!! Must've been before [read: caused] the ruck rule changes.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Poulter is another player from SA that could be included with Grundy in a deal to the Crows/Power.

Adelaide players of interest:
*Fischer McAsey, 21, 198cm, key defender.
*Darcy Fogarty, 22, 195cm, key forward.
*Reilly O'Brien, 26, 203cm, ruck.
*Elliot Himmelberg, 24, 200cm, key forward.

O'Brien seems logical as a ruck-ruck switch, however with Camerons recent form in the middle, the need to replace BG with another ruckman might not seem so urgent now. That also raises the question of Adelaides need for a ruck and what they would do with both Grundy and O'Brien.

Cant see the Crows dealing Rachele, but that'd be nice. McAsey ticks lots of boxes, however has struggled heavily with injuries. Himmelberg hasn't shown a great deal, but does fill a need in the tall forward market. Fogarty has been spoken about on this forum before.

Port Adelaide players of interest:
*Todd Marshall, 23, 198cm, key forward.
*Mitch Geogiades, 20, 192cm, key forward.

I dont really know a great deal anout Ports list, but I think they're in greater need of a ruck with Lycett (injured) and Finlayson their current options. Noone really stands out as a player we could target. Rozee and Butters strike me as players they will not deal. Bryne-Jones maybe, but he doesnt fill that big need we have.

We do not have a great history of dealing with Port in the past.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:18 pm

^ ^ ^’
In the unlikely event that a Grundy trade did unfold, just take all the picks you can get and then use those picks and our own first rounder to trade with one of 16 other clubs who may have closer to what we want. As the 2022 draft prospects are sorting themselves out, it’s looking like a bit of a big man’s draft with four likely KPPs in the top 15 ( ? ) or so. Lock away a decent first round pick to take to the draft and then trade for players with whatever you have from any Grundy trade or DeGoey exit. We’ve been busy at the draft for last three seasons, so I reckon bringing in ready made players will be the focus. Obviously, the key is to bring in the right one ( s ), not anyone.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:59 am

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:

Are you saying Cox & Grundy at the same centre bounce??.. They are not Stanley and Blicavs.

Mind you from memory, a few years back we had both Grundy AND Witts compete at ruck stoppages against i think it was Mumford [GWS]!! Must've been before [read: caused] the ruck rule changes.

I was thinking Cox or Cameron at the bounce, with Grundy as a mid. It probably won’t work, but it is not impossible. Grundy is a very unusual player. Very tall, excellent tank, low slung and strong in the hips, and a potential receiver of Cox’s taps. Quite hard to match up on.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:17 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

easiest position on the field? Shocked

Never played Ruck have you. Wing is the easiest position on the field if you have a good tank.

Im kinda with you in that wing is the definition of "outside". However, apart from the elite running capacity and ball use you need there is also unique skill in playing the wing from a positioning perspective.

My son is an academy player on the wing. He was an inside mid since U9. Mid positions in state teams are hard to come by so you need to have the ability to play a few more positions. Half back and half forward are typical for mids to be able to play. Hardly any of them can play wing from a structure perspective as well as the defensive running patterns.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:19 am

Grundy has better ruck work and better follow-up to generate clearances. He covers the ground better and is a better contested ground ball player.

Cameron is a better mark.

I hope Grundy goes know where.

Pep 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:15 pm

Just came across this.

Collingwood coach Craig McRae reveals Brodie Grundy has been going to line meetings with the forwards. Also confirms Brodie is a required player at the Pies, despite trade whispers via Tom Rockliff.

Via Drew Jones - Fox Sports News.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:18 pm

Meredith1965 wrote:
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Meredith1965 wrote:

I was thinking Cox or Cameron at the bounce, with Grundy as a mid. It probably won’t work, but it is not impossible. Grundy is a very unusual player. Very tall, excellent tank, low slung and strong in the hips, and a potential receiver of Cox’s taps. Quite hard to match up on.

I've proposed similar.

Centre bounces, Cameron or Cox takes the bounce, Grundy plays as a ruck rover, the other starts forward.

Around the ground, Grundy plays as ruck/follower, with one of Cameron and Cox playing deep forward and the other down back.

When the ball goes deep forward or back, Cox/Cameron take the tap while Grundy goes back to a Ruck Rover.

That setup could actually prolong Grundy's career, he's not an overly tall ruck and opponents are getting taller each year. He would work better around the ground where he could use his strength rather than leap with a height disadvantage.

Mick McGuane said in an article today that when Grundy comes back, Fly would be derelict if he didn't at least try all 3 in the team in the lead up to finals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Page 3 of 109   

Jump to: