Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Voice vote:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

My vote:
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
undecided leaning to yes
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
undecided leaning to no
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucks5 wrote:
Or the Voice will be eventually be taken over by Blak activists and it will become a vehicle to badger parliament into making changes that will adversely affect you and I.

Imagine if they got people of the ilk of Lidia Thorpe on board, god help us all!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:36 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
Or the Voice will be eventually be taken over by Blak activists and it will become a vehicle to badger parliament into making changes that will adversely affect you and I.

Yes and they’re hiding under our beds. Really has it come to this 🤦‍♂️ sheer and unmitigated nonsense but part of the scare campaign.

When the Mabo / Wik decision was about to delivered the scare campaign run by the Libs and some other idiots were yelling they’re gunna take our houses 😂 sheer and unmitigated nonsense. The right honourable Dingo the late Tim Fischer was a leading scare campaigner at the time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:13 pm

Bucks5 wrote:

Won't happen.

How the Voice works and how people are selected will be subject to legislation. The voice existing will be in the Constitution, what form it takes and how it works will be up to the Government of the day.

Very senior law experts have given the framework the all clear. If you get a couple of random Fwits like Thorpe on there, the Government will have the power to remove them one way or another.

It's a voice, a consultative committee. It will have no power of veto, if it doesn't like something, too bad as long as the Government gives them opportunity to be heard.

It's a powerless vehicle for getting the views of First Nations Peoples before decisions are made that effect them.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:21 pm

They said that about #skynet too!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 7:23 am

stui magpie wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I'm unclear how the Indigenous community are already recognised in the constitution, I've downloaded a copy of it and to my read there is zero recognition that the continent was already occupied when England colonised it.

There's zero mention IRRC of Indigenous people in the constitution at all.

Where it talks about 'the people'. That includes indigenous people too right? Like any Australian, they can vote, elect a representative or even run for parliament.

Why should one group get more say than everyone else.

Not quite. When it talks about "The people" it sort of included Indigenous people by default, although the original document actively discriminated against them with 2 sections that said they wouldn't be counted in the census and prevented the Federal Government from making laws about them. These were the 2 things that were corrected in the 1967 Referendum. They just weren't considered part of "the people" when the document was written.

Why should they get more say than anyone else? My view is it's the simple principle that they were here first, deserve recognition of that and deserve to have a say when Government is making decisions that are about them.

The voice isn't intended to be consulted on every government decision, just those that directly impact First nations Peoples. When the NT Government implements alcohol restrictions white people in Melbourne lose their minds and scream Racism, but it's the people in those communities that need to be heard, they're the ones impacted and IIRC they supported it.

99% of the stuff that would go to The Voice would have zero impact on you or I.

So the 1967 referendum addressed the issue of including indigenous Australians as people. So why is there a need to now separately recognise them. Are they not people now?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 9:15 am

Bucks5 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I'm unclear how the Indigenous community are already recognised in the constitution, I've downloaded a copy of it and to my read there is zero recognition that the continent was already occupied when England colonised it.

There's zero mention IRRC of Indigenous people in the constitution at all.

Where it talks about 'the people'. That includes indigenous people too right? Like any Australian, they can vote, elect a representative or even run for parliament.

Why should one group get more say than everyone else.

Exactly this

WIAN Bingo

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:05 pm

I think you’re always going to get the wrong end of the stick if you see this as a group of people in an otherwise equal society seeking special privileges. That’s not the history of this country, however, and not the history of Indigenous people’s existence here.

I think we all know what that history is: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were here first, had their land taken from them by force (and sometimes via outright massacres, as recently as the early 20th century), and were then treated as (literal) second-class citizens for much of the past 200 years, with governments – made up of white people, elected by the white majority – often directly intervening in their lives, to the extent of forcibly removing children from families, making rules about who they could marry and imposing special laws on them.

You can’t address the profound disadvantages currently faced by many Indigenous people in so many areas without regard for that historical context, and how it bleeds into the present day. And what’s being asked for at the moment, strongly and clearly, is that – unlike how things were in the past – Australia’s First Peoples have a say in their own destiny for a change, and on the policies that will impact on it. The Voice to Parliament may be an imperfect model for that, but it at least enshrines that advice, puts a formal structure behind it and ensures it can’t be ignored.

Some people – like those on here who think it’s funny to ironically post an acknowledgement of country as their signature – may well be hostile to Indigenous people and their interests. They will obviously vote no. But for those of us who value respect and empathy, there should be a willingness to exercise some humility and listen, be open to more integrated decision-making on issues affecting Indigenous people, and carefully consider whether we have an opportunity here to push the country in a better direction.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:09 pm

^ Succinct and eloquent David.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:41 pm

you forgot judgemental

voting no doesn't mean someone is hostile or racist.

for the people i have spoken to its a trust issue. we simply don't trust we are getting the whole, or the ending story.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:37 pm

I agree, obviously people who are racist will vote No, but the vast majority of those who do won't be racist, they'll have different reasons.

I'm happy to provide whatever info I can to help allay fears from misinformation, but I'm not going to get into arguments, be judgemental, or try to change anyone's beliefs.

My Mum is going to vote no. I tried to have a discussion but she believes what she believes so I left it.

As I've said before, I think the proposed wording for the constitution is perfect (or close to it). Yes the Government will fck up the implementation, that's a given, but the good thing about the model is that when they do, there's capacity to change it until they get it right, for the time.

My simplistic view is that either way it will have zero impact on me, but the capacity to cause good for the First Nations Peoples is far greater than any capacity to cause harm, to anyone.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:19 pm

Cheers Stu I get where you’re coming from. I still have wiggle room but I’m not exactly sure what I’d need to hear to change my mind.

So good to read an opposing post that is non judgmental.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:28 pm

think positive wrote:
you forgot judgemental

voting no doesn't mean someone is hostile or racist.

Who said it did?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 pm

You came across IMO as insinuating it
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 am

David wrote:

I think we all know what that history is: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people were here first, had their land taken from them by force (and sometimes via outright massacres, as recently as the early 20th century), and were then treated as (literal) second-class citizens for much of the past 200 years, with governments – made up of white people, elected by the white majority – often directly intervening in their lives, to the extent of forcibly removing children from families, making rules about who they could marry and imposing special laws on them.

This is a fundamentally flawed analysis. The governments presiding over the massacres and then the relegation of the Aboriginal population to second class citizen status were made up of rich people and their political representatives. The colour of their skin was actually irrelevant. Today, the elements within the aboriginal population pushing for the Voice are exclusively highly wealthy layers: academics, business entrepreneurs, etc who see it as a means of entrenching their material privileges and social influence - at the expense of the rest of the aboriginal population. The agenda of the Voice absolutely in no way aims to address the devastating third world conditions of extreme social and material deprivation that have been imposed on the majority of the aboriginal population in this country, not by "white people" but by the political representatives of the super rich and corporate Australia.
Another aspect of the Voice is that it aims to promote the illusion that all of Australia is unified behind the "progressive agenda" of the Albanese government, which in actual fact is spending billions of dollars of money on nuclear submarines and offensive weaponry in its slavish alliance with the US and its war drive against China. No money for health, education, decent conditions for the Aboriginal population who are condemned to desperate poverty and no future, but billions for the army and tax cuts for the wealthy. I reject this entire referendum with the contempt that it deserves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: