Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Voice vote:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

My vote:
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
undecided leaning to yes
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
undecided leaning to no
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:48 pm
Post subject: The Voice vote:Reply with quote

Do you know how you will vote?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'm voting Yes. I think putting it in the Constitution is a geed idea, that means that the Voice must exist, in some form or another. Not putting specifics in the constitution is also a good idea as that means the form of the voice and and will change over years as needs and governments change.

While there's doubts over how much good it will actually create, it doesn't have any capacity to do any harm, in my understanding, despite some of the misinformation around the place.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:45 pm

It's a yes for me. I acknowledge criticisms from the left about it potentially being a toothless tiger and respect that some First Nations people are opposed, but I feel like something's better than nothing and that it can achieve some good.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:35 pm

I am undecided but leaning towards no.

The indigenous community are already recognised in the constitution as Australians like everyone else and they already have more representation than everyone else.

It is my understanding that the implementation of the Voice is just the first step towards treaty. I fear that the changes happening to the WA land owners will just be the tip of the iceberg.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:44 pm

^

I'm unclear how the Indigenous community are already recognised in the constitution, I've downloaded a copy of it and to my read there is zero recognition that the continent was already occupied when England colonised it.

There's zero mention IRRC of Indigenous people in the constitution at all.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:04 pm

Clear and unequivocal yes. The No campaign is devoid of merit.
This needs to be followed by a Treaty.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:22 pm

My vote will be yes, will be disappointed if Australia votes for no.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:15 pm

I'm voting No. I haven't heard a compelling argument as to why the Voice needs to be enshrined into our founding document and how it will improve the lives of indigenous peoples.

Would have been happy to have explicit indigenous recognition inserted into the preamble, but the Voice is a step too far in my opinion.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:41 pm

David wrote:
It's a yes for me. I acknowledge criticisms from the left about it potentially being a toothless tiger and respect that some First Nations people are opposed, but I feel like something's better than nothing and that it can achieve some good.

Which pretty much sums up the current AnAl Labor Government, they expect everything to be passed even if it’s shit because something is better than nothing.

Housing bill, climate change action, the voice, etc…
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:36 am

Just like gay marriage it'll make no difference to the people it isn't intended for but has the potential to improve the lives of the indigenous Australians it's focused on moving forward and across the generations. That's good enough reason for mine because even a small short term positive outcome is better than doing nothing and expecting a different result.

That's madness.

Unfortunately just like the debate on gay marriage we'll have the usual suspects once again hiding their bigotry under the guise of the sky will fall in.

It wont and honestly the way some people on the No side carry on you'd think we don't already live in a society controlled by the whims of politicians, bureaucracy and red tape.

As far as I'm concerned if a voice to parliament adds one extra layer of tape on to some issues then it'll barely be noticed among all the others and it's about time Indigenous Australians had a chance to bowl and take a wicket in their own backyard.

Not to much to ask is it?

Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:33 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

I'm unclear how the Indigenous community are already recognised in the constitution, I've downloaded a copy of it and to my read there is zero recognition that the continent was already occupied when England colonised it.

Where it talks about 'the people'. That includes indigenous people too right? Like any Australian, they can vote, elect a representative or even run for parliament.

Why should one group get more say than everyone else.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:02 am

Bucks5 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Where it talks about 'the people'. That includes indigenous people too right? Like any Australian, they can vote, elect a representative or even run for parliament.

This,

That’s what elections are for

At first I thought it was like a panel for a voice on things that are specificity directed to First Nation issues, but not to every single issue.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:06 am

swoop42 wrote:
Just like gay marriage it'll make no difference to the people it isn't intended for but has the potential to improve the lives of the indigenous Australians it's focused on moving forward and across the generations. That's good enough reason for mine because even a small short term positive outcome is better than doing nothing and expecting a different result.

That's madness.

Unfortunately just like the debate on gay marriage we'll have the usual suspects once again hiding their bigotry under the guise of the sky will fall in.

It wont and honestly the way some people on the No side carry on you'd think we don't already live in a society controlled by the whims of politicians, bureaucracy and red tape.

As far as I'm concerned if a voice to parliament adds one extra layer of tape on to some issues then it'll barely be noticed among all the others and it's about time Indigenous Australians had a chance to bowl and take a wicket in their own backyard.

Not to much to ask is it?

Can you not have a discussion without labelling people with opposing views?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:47 am

Bucks5 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

Not quite. When it talks about "The people" it sort of included Indigenous people by default, although the original document actively discriminated against them with 2 sections that said they wouldn't be counted in the census and prevented the Federal Government from making laws about them. These were the 2 things that were corrected in the 1967 Referendum. They just weren't considered part of "the people" when the document was written.

Why should they get more say than anyone else? My view is it's the simple principle that they were here first, deserve recognition of that and deserve to have a say when Government is making decisions that are about them.

The voice isn't intended to be consulted on every government decision, just those that directly impact First nations Peoples. When the NT Government implements alcohol restrictions white people in Melbourne lose their minds and scream Racism, but it's the people in those communities that need to be heard, they're the ones impacted and IIRC they supported it.

99% of the stuff that would go to The Voice would have zero impact on you or I.

Bucks5 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Or the Voice will be eventually be taken over by Blak activists and it will become a vehicle to badger parliament into making changes that will adversely affect you and I.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: