Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell #13 Taylor Adams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^In fairness, I watched Adams do exactly that - move it laterally and turn it over yesterday at training in match sim. He also misjudged a kick and had Pendles touch it when on the mark. Both pretty rudimentary errors. But you're right, I think that Howe did it at least as much last season as Tay. Langdon has also done it once or twice.

Having said that, I am a Tay fan. He is very hard working and has improved his kicking. He does not miss as many targets, by now being softer with his kicking and not trying to drill it too hard. His finals campaign was one of the key reasons we got so close.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:11 pm

duggieboy wrote:
E you have morphed from the most positive poster to Mr Grumpy.

What gives, bro?

I think "mr grumpy" is being far too kind. It's all rather tiresome and childish.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:30 pm

E wrote:
in all seriousness, if you are going to give out a long term deal, Adams is the kind of player you could give it to. He is so committed to his footy, you just know that he is going to work his ass off every day (even though he has guaranteed money). He's also going to do whatever it takes to be one of the best in the business.

Just look at the way he's worked on his disposal. The guy now makes smart decisions, works within his physical limitations and has improved his kicking to the point where he is one of our best forward entry passers. He and DeGoey especially have a very good chemistry.

One of my favorite players and i'll be one of Nathan's favorites too (isn't it funny that saying that is allowed on this site these days after being taboo for the past 5 years).

couldnt agree more!

and aside from that i mean, well, OMG, just look!!

oh and E, unless your gunna compare yourself to the rock or Bruce Willis, dont go there!!! Razz

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:21 am

I think the Adams deal is more to do with the captaincy going forward
He's been long regarded as the captain in waiting and locking him in long term makes perfect sense
His best footy is still to come and he's the sort of player who other players gravitate towards
E 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:19 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think the Adams deal is more to do with the captaincy going forward
He's been long regarded as the captain in waiting and locking him in long term makes perfect sense
His best footy is still to come and he's the sort of player who other players gravitate towards

agreed. i also suspect that he accepted less per year for the certainty of a 5 year deal (or at least i bet he accepted less money in the first year - while we still have the wells contract on the books). Smart salary cap management. keeping this magnificent nucleus together is going to be a real challenge for the pies.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:42 pm

E I remember listening to Ned Guy on radio when they were talking about how do we re-sign all our off contract players at the end of last season
He said at the time it was a challenge but they would juggle some players and extend others and find a way
I think he's done a awesome job
We've lost no one at all and he's added Beams
We extended some players who have taken the certainty of a longer deal on a little less per season allowing us to keep the list together
Being a former player manager he knows all the tricks and he's using them to our advantage
It's also a good sign when players are prepared to take less to stay together
It all points towards a strong club culture and harmony
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Absolutely qldmagpie67; yet some ruthless culling will need to be made at the end of 2019 to some veterans, to enable us to keep under the cap for 2020 I'd imagine.

Things will be tight for a few more years, particularly if we snaffle a flag in that window.

But yes, either Adams or Beams for captain in 2020 too.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:09 pm

piedys wrote:

Beams would be a massive shock. I can't see how that could happen.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:02 am

if you look at the list, there are so many ready to be culled at the end of this year, especially if injury continues to show that the end is nigh for certain players.

Wells, Reid and Elliot are the obvious ones who have been cruelled by injuries (and could you really persist with them if they have another bad year injury wide), but Dunn, Goldsack, Greenwood, Varcoe, Broomhead, Murray, Wills and Crocker are obviously also in the gun (depending on how they all play this coming season). It would also be hard to persist with Scharenberg if he doesn't finish the season healthy.

11-12 changes in one season is obviously not ideal, but it shows that even though the list is looking fantastic, there is still scope to gain some salary cap relief at the end of this year (although its possible that a lot of that salary is already spoken for in future years for the guys who took longer back loaded contracts).

The great news is the core of 25-30 players entering or at their prime (or who are aging superstars superstars) should form the core of an amazing squad for the next 5 years.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Dyso I admire Beams as much as anyone but he won't be our next captain and he shouldn't be either

Beams is a great player but I don't think he's suited to the captaincy role
Players just seem to gravitate towards Adams he has that special thing players respond too
I think Beams is better served just playing his role and helping out around the group
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:54 pm

I agree about Adams.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:04 pm

E wrote:
if you look at the list, there are so many ready to be culled at the end of this year, especially if injury continues to show that the end is nigh for certain players.

Wells, Reid and Elliot are the obvious ones who have been cruelled by injuries (and could you really persist with them if they have another bad year injury wide), but Dunn, Goldsack, Greenwood, Varcoe, Broomhead, Murray, Wills and Crocker are obviously also in the gun (depending on how they all play this coming season). It would also be hard to persist with Scharenberg if he doesn't finish the season healthy.

11-12 changes in one season is obviously not ideal, but it shows that even though the list is looking fantastic, there is still scope to gain some salary cap relief at the end of this year (although its possible that a lot of that salary is already spoken for in future years for the guys who took longer back loaded contracts).

The great news is the core of 25-30 players entering or at their prime (or who are aging superstars superstars) should form the core of an amazing squad for the next 5 years.

All true; but you'd think the club will only make 5-6 changes by necessity at seasons end, to relieve the cap and retire some soldiers with honours.
I can't imagine the club will enforce 11-12 changes; that would be Carlton-esque.

We would be crazy not to allow cap space for a Josh Kelly type, or KPD if they became available by seasons end. They can't all be funneled through to Essendope or Geebung.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:12 pm

K wrote:
piedys wrote:

Beams would be a massive shock. I can't see how that could happen.

E wrote:
I agree about Adams.

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Dyso I admire Beams as much as anyone but he won't be our next captain and he shouldn't be either

Beams is a great player but I don't think he's suited to the captaincy role
Players just seem to gravitate towards Adams he has that special thing players respond too
I think Beams is better served just playing his role and helping out around the group

Guys, Adams ideally yes; he has my vote too.

However, we must have a contingency plans, Christ forbid, should Adams go down for a season with injury.

While Beams was under the microscope with his state of mind for much of 2018 with Brisbane, one might conclude that the passing of his father was still too raw, as was the isolation from the rest of the family in Melbourne.

By 2020, he may very well be in much better head space.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Steele has a good record as captain and is an obvious candidate.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 pm

piedys wrote:
E wrote:

All true; but you'd think the club will only make 5-6 changes by necessity at seasons end, to relieve the cap and retire some soldiers with honours.
I can't imagine the club will enforce 11-12 changes; that would be Carlton-esque.

We would be crazy not to allow cap space for a Josh Kelly type, or KPD if they became available by seasons end. They can't all be funneled through to Essendope or Geebung.

totally agree. you simply cant replace that many in one season. Anyway, the good news is that we probably dont lose that much (other than depth) in the entire list i mentioned (of course Elliot and Scharenberg are difference makers if healthy). Our core have three good years together ahead of them. Really excited about this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Page 103 of 123   

Jump to: