Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Victoria says no to the Commonwealth Games

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ give how much the traffic management clowns get, it's not unreasonable.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
@Jezza, my view is that the $6B cost is BS, they got the numbers that the economy is in even worse shape than reported and needed to cut money somewhere.

You’re probably right.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:56 am

It was a dumb idea. Our roads are carnage, imagine all that added traffic.

At least he has had the guts to call it.

But yeah, I’m a bit teary for some reason. I feel for the people who have started the work.

Gees didn’t see tha5 coming this morning.

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:46 am

Time for Andrews to go. Just the latest in a long line of poor governance, own goals, and complete disregard for transparency and accountability. The regional model put forward was a politically expedient thought bubble at the time to shore up the regional vote ahead of the 2022 state election. It was always going to be too expensive. Some of the waste built into the model now coming to light is truly mind blowing and shows how much contempt the government has for Victorian taxpayers. The cynicism to blame newly discovered cost blow outs and to try and shift blame onto project budgeting from EY (convenient against the background of consultancies being in the gun at the moment) is more evidence of a complete lack of accountability. It's a shame the opposition is completely unelectable because we are badly in need of an effective and functional government that has some form of integrity.
slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:32 am

If Andrews was in private business, he’d be bankrupt.

His claim that the Comm Games will cost between $6-7 billion is an absolute exaggeration of the highest magnitude.
So the CG are more expensive than the Olympics??? Pffft….what a bloody liar.
Shouldn’t have agreed to host them without “proper” costings is another example of poor economic awareness and understanding this idiot has.
Business 101 is having a proper business case. It’s the first thing you learn as a business owner. My lord, I just cannot fathom how economically stupid he is.

His total lack of fiscal responsibility has hamstrung the state with irresponsible and impulsive decision making that have either cost the taxpayer billions of dollars in blowouts or in tearing up contracts.

I am flabbergasted at his ineptitude.
History will prove that he was the worst Premier in this states history.

What a buffoon.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:45 am

WA will host the games now.

Just in from the premier...

“What we have is a highly-skilled, highly fit, highly motivated temporary workforce… Um… we mean, group of athletes coming in. Perfect candidates for new events like bricklaying, plumbing, mine site truck driving, nursing, policing, and well any other skills shortage we currently have which is a lot. A LOT” Cook said.

On top of the new events, WA will be offering every athlete a 5 year visa. Provided they agree to stay until the job is done.

https://www.thebelltowertimes.com/wa-to-host-commonwealth-games/

But seriously, I'm happy with what he really commented...

WA Premier Roger Cook described the idea as “ruinously expensive”.

“Our analysis was consistent with the Victorian Government analysis that this would cost a significant amount of money and provide very little return on that investment, providing a highly expensive sugar hit of a 12-day sporting festival,” he said, according to The West Australian.

“What I want to see in WA is a continued investment in our schools and our hospitals, making sure we make Western Australia a great place to live.”

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:46 pm

In all seriousness, I'm reading the horrified handwringing from the British press over this news about the Commonwealth Games' future being in jeopardy and thinking ... maybe it should be? Nobody seems to want to or be able to host the games; and in any case, the Commonwealth is itself a terribly outdated institution (with a lot of justifiably negative historical connotations), and this event is ultimately all about trying to prop up its relevance.

Anyway, long story short, I agree with this guy. Wink

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-66229574

Quote:
But another man, David, said he was "relieved" by the decision to not host them in Victoria.

"They build a lot of infrastructure that then doesn't get used later... I'm happy for the government to be able to change its mind sometimes if something's blown out its budget," he told the BBC.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:34 pm

^ you share the same name. Cool!! But he seem way more articulate and I am sure is way better looking too!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:39 pm

I doubt that either of those things are true, considering he'd only had two hours of sleep the night before being bailed up in Fed Square for a vox pop. Wink

(no sign of the news report on YouTube as yet! So I may yet be safe from international notoriety as a deluded Dan Andrews stan and/or Commonwealth Games hater...)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:34 pm

Back to the supposed costs,

the 2018 Games were held on the Gold Coast and cost $1.8B

the 2022 games were held in Birmingham at a cost of $1.5B

Andrews budgeted for a cost of $2.6B, likely so much more because it was being held in 4 regional hubs.

A month ago, apparently in discussions with the Commonwealth Games Federation, the costs were up to near $3B.

How the flying **** can they suddenly claim that the cost estimates had blown out to over $6B? Something stinks.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:17 pm

I agree with the suggestion above that Dan is probably lying through his teeth, or picked some maximum estimate from planning discussions in order to offset other budget deficiencies.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:09 pm

Yeah, you can always tell when Dan is lying.

You can see his lips moving.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:15 pm

Let’s face it, in these circumstances he is damned if he did and damned if he didn’t 🙄 If having the games is such a fabulous thing for the host, how come (so far) no one else has put their hands up to have it? Surely they would be scrambling over each other to get the prize? It was a no win situation I guess so it is it is. As a sports lover, I’m very sad about the cancellation but have mixed emotions. I guess from an economic perspective, I should be supporting a responsible decision that would have made life worse for many people, especially us regional folk. However from a sports loving standpoint, it seems such a let down and a shame that we have lost an opportunity to watch international sportspersons.

Last edited by lazzadesilva on Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:44 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
I guess from an economic perspective, I should be supporting a responsible decision that would have made life worse for many people, especially us regional folk.

That’s the kicker for me. It’s like my parents-in-law’s giant (and no doubt hideously expensive) glass table that we somehow acquired and have had to carry from rental property to rental property. Might be nice to have in theory, but as it is, it’s too big, only ends up taking up space wherever it’s stored, is a pain to move and nobody else would want it either.

We should have put that table out on the nature strip ages ago, and it’s the same with the Commonwealth Games – maybe someone will pick it up and take it home, or maybe it goes to landfill. But there’s no point hanging onto it for sentimentality’s sake alone.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:49 pm

Or buy your own table and use the channel changer.

I love the commonwealth games.

This was a silly idea, going regional and with the Westgate the way it is having it in the city wouldn’t work. I hope someone else takes it on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: