Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Being on Nick’s

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:29 pm
Post subject: Being on Nick’sReply with quote

Well, I’ve officially been on this site for twenty years today. I signed up at the age of 14, and now, nearly 50,000 posts later, I have a child who’s only a few years younger than that. Not quite sure how to feel about that. Laughing

Not to be self-indulgent, but I figure that’s as good an opportunity as any to ask … what exactly is it that we are we doing here? Because that’s a fair chunk of my teenage and adult life that I’ve spent on this site, and hardly anyone I know (outside the people I know from here, of course), be they family, friends or romantic partners, understands what it is or why I’m on here.

I’ve long thought the internet creates a kind of weird liminal space. It’s not not the real world – it’s still you doing something, feeling things, thinking about things, connecting (or getting pissed off) with other real people – but also it can be kind of effectively segmented from the rest of your life. I would say I only bring up Nick’s or the discussions I have on here rarely (e.g. if someone sees me on it at work) and I can’t imagine it coming up on a date, or during a session with a psychologist. It’s just … there, you know?

It also makes me think about the personalities of people drawn to posting on here. I used to be amazed by what a diverse bunch we are – in age, in politics, in professions, in interests – but I’ve increasingly found myself wondering whether the regulars here actually dispositionally have a lot in common with each other, and that there’s a reason besides mere chance why not everyone becomes a regular forum poster. That we’re actually a certain kind of person.

Of course, my experience isn’t necessarily the same as anyone else’s. So I’m curious: how important would you say this site is to your life? Have you ever seriously considered getting off it, and if so, what kind of hole (if any) would that leave? Do you feel that it’s integrated with your "real" life, or not at all? And later in life, do you think you’ll look back on the time you spent posting on here as important to you in some way, or just time you could have spent more productively elsewhere?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of fun. I love riling up people on the gameday thread with stupid negative comments - like Game Over when we're a few goals down. Some people are so easily baited.

VPT is more interesting. A bit of banter about real issues.

I do wish we had a "other games" thread as a sticky in the Collingwood board to discuss other games during the round. In the "Other AFL", it's sometimes just Donny talking to himself with Jezza popping in every now and again.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:26 pm

I stumbled across Nicks just over 21 years ago.

Being in WA, getting limited coverage of the Pies had me searching the web, which I'd not long been using! I think we only got a computer when the GST was introduced (2000) and changed the way we ran our Plumbing company at the time.

Geez, a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then.
The only way we could get 'Live' coverage of every Collingwood game was by having a 'pirate' foxtel card. It had to be regularly updated to keep in front of the foxtel scrambles that used to happen. I would have up to 50 Collingwood supporters, some I didn't even know, rock up to watch the Pies in the Peter Daicos Bar... crazy days.

I've met a few nicksters over the years. Just a fortnight ago catching up with; Stui, TP & Jezza at the G. Met P4S last year & met Dyso when I was doing a marathon on the goldy about 10 years ago. Met Joffa on my first trip to Melbourne and went to the Cricketers for the pre-game 'speech'.

I've enjoyed most of my time on here. Had a few ups and downs, as we all do. I've shared things on here that I haven't shared with many people... yet anybody can read it on here... go figure.

Nicks is like a therapy for me I reckon. Not only can I read about and discuss things about our beloved Pies, but the random carry on about other sports and life in general is something that I can't see ever not being a part of my life.

Some of the support I've received from posters on here over the years, for various issues, has been invaluable. Sure, there's been some run ins, most of which was during periods of inebriation (3 1/2 years off the booze, who'd have thought?!) which caused a few suspensions and a period of being banned all together. I hope I've fully redeemed myself, I said some things that were out of line, I think a few could confess to that.

I don't post on any other forums, I can't imagine life without Nicks.

Last edited by Skids on Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:07 pm

I started reading here around 2001-2, joined sometime around then, posted a few times, then had a break and when I came back I couldn't remember my username or password so I signed up again in 2005 with my current name.

Over nearly 20 years, it's been a ride. I'm met lots of people from here over the years, played in some social footy games, had some filthy arguments and a lot of laughs.

Nicks has been a constant over basically 2 decades of change and in a lot of ways has kept me sane. (sort of). Being able to argue and shit stir in the VPT was often an outlet for frustrations that had no other release. From a single dad with 2 teenage kids and a stressful job to a retiree with a grandson, Nicks has been here for me. I've probably pissed a few people off over the journey but that's all part of the ride and I don't apologise.

I've also been exposed to different views and ways of thinking that I wouldn't have otherwise encountered which have lead me to do my own research and sometimes change my views.

So it's therapy, fun, a shrieking tree, it's like a great big fkn dysfunctional family

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:42 am

Continuity is really important, especially for someone like myself who has travelled and moved around so much. I also avoid Facebook like the plague, and Nick's is a more grounded community without all the nonsense on Facebook and narcissism on social media, even though we still have diverse views.

The most valuable thing to me has been knowing the same people for so long, and seeing how we've all changed and matured together. That matters, and it's something only tight-knit families that live close to each other have.

I've also learned much of my trade on here because I get to write and riff without pressure, meaning I can test or develop ideas over time. All of our views have developed and shifted over time, which is an insight you can't get when you're too close to people or your social set keeps changing. But it's especially revealing to see how one's own views and psychology have developed over time.

All in all extremely valuable and I rate people on here as real friends. We've all clearly mellowed, too, and been through the ringer at different times, so I think Nick's has made me more compassionate and understanding.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:00 am

- and you’ve learnt to summarise those epic essays! To a point!

I agree with pretty much all these comments, it certainly can be like a therapy session.! I don’t miss a few trolls but there are a couple of posters that I occasionally wonder what happened in their journey.

To those with good intentions and hearts, who can converse with differing opinions without resorting yo name calling, I thank you. Regardless to what some may think I have had my mind changed on a couple of things, and I always appreciate apposing views put forth in a thoughtful way.

Cheers. Long live Nicks!

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:52 pm

My first Collingwood site was FTO (From The Outer) which unfortunately went under. Then I switched to Nick’s fully instead of making an odd post occasionally. When I first started on Nick’s, I was a very annoying pain in the arse poster, baiting trolling and riling others on purpose just to get a rise from them. I thought it fun but on reflection it was me being an immature imbecile. Then I had a major mental breakdown with Chronic depression and anxiety
that kept me away for a few years. Since returning here in 2006 on my second stint, I’ve appreciated and respected other posters opinions more and have had better discussions. The bottom line is that we all love Collingwood and to share and receive information is very fulfilling, especially as I have resided in Bendigo for many years and miss attending as many games, club training sessions and events than I used to when living in Bendigo.
I have been involved with the Bendigo Collingwood Supporters Club for many years and got to know Joffa well because he used to attend a few meetings. We also used to have special club dinner nights where the chief guests were Collingwood players like Bucks, Kink, Ray Shaw, Tony Shaw, Heater, Daisy Thomas, Ray Byrne, Phil Carmen, Peter McCormick and the late great Colin Tully who lived locally and used to drive a taxi. It was a pleasure on many a night talking Collingwood with him on a ride home. Overall I will be forever thankful for witnessing the 1990 and 2010 flags. Of course I would always love a few more flags to celebrate 😄 🥹

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:48 pm

Joined in 2005 when I started going to Games Reguraly.

Up to about 2010 this was a Great Forum and Place to Chat about Footy.

But I have found since then the Site is being getting Worse.

Lot of the Good Posters have Left here since then. Still some Good Posters still here but lot have left

Come lot more Negative on here as well

I don't come on here as Much as I did since around 2010-2012

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:59 am

^Hang in there, Dave. Your posts are still highly valued on here. Try not to measure the whole by the game day thread, which is naturally too emotional and would be a modding nightmare.

I liked your post about EU open-source changes. The internet and open-source software are definitely among your specialities.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:56 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^Hang in there, Dave. Your posts are still highly valued on here. Try not to measure the whole by the game day thread, which is naturally too emotional and would be a modding nightmare.

I liked your post about EU open-source changes. The internet and open-source software are definitely among your specialities.

Thanks Mate.

Glad/Appreciate you/Others Like My Posts on Nicks

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:07 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Lot of the Good Posters have Left here since then. Still some Good Posters still here but lot have left

Hi Dave,
I am a fan of your posts. This is because I can see that you are one supremely passionate fan of our club. Your comments are always heart and soul. Whether negative or positive, I always sense in them the love for Collingwood.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:16 pm

25 years next year for me. I don't post or visit as much these days, but did for a long time from around 15 years of age and well into my 30s (now nearly 40). Mainly just pop in every now and again these days.

I have 10 year old boy myself now, and a 7 year old girl. I still remember announcing my boys birth on the forum. Man time flies.

TBH, if the forum and mobile functionality, I'd probably post a lot more often. I still remember so many names from over the years.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Hi Dave,
I am a fan of your posts. This is because I can see that you are one supremely passionate fan of our club. Your comments are always heart and soul. Whether negative or positive, I always sense in them the love for Collingwood.

Thank You Very Much Magpietothemax

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pm

Ok cool.

My time on Nicks all depends on how Collingwood are doing or what they are going through.

Mostly when they are on the up.

Say 2001-2003 i was on it heaps and posted alot.

I did a bit around 2010-2011.

Nothing when Buckley took over the coaching role.

Kind of had my profile and everything deleted then by myself.

I have had 3 different names and hence 3 different avatars.

I think its time to spruce up my profile and do a spring clean.

90 nice just rolled off the tongue also fanasty 90 would have been good.

My next avatar will be of the Collingwood captain and coach raising the premiership cup.

My first one was of 1990 of Tony Shaw and Leigh raising it.

I need to think up another name too if we win it in 2023.

I joined Nicks in 1999 back in the internet cafe days.

I have seen many changes on Nicks.

I used to be on the Rant and Hot Rods back then too.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:24 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

the posting experience does become a little more enjoyable once you know the poster irl. have met and remained friends with many from here. when living in nz this became my primary source of info and i had many a night in tears of laughter with some of the threads we posted about back then.

nick’s has served an incredible purpose for all things collingwood and while i don’t post much any more it’s still the go to for the truth.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: