Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Hawks. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
As far as changes, obvious ones are correct: Cox out (Fly i think has flagged it in the posr game press conference). Markov out.

I hope Markov is a regular team selection. Love his speed, delivery and endeavour.
On a dry September MCG, he would be dynamite.

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
rad 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:43 pm

Agree, Markov is a lock for me come finals. He’s fast. He creates run. He is full of energy.

Only reason people can call for his omission is because he wasn’t a high draft pick. Going on form he IMO is more important to the backline than Howe. I would also play Frampton ahead of Howe in the backline at fullback to release Moore to CHB.

AJ hasn’t proven himself in the big games for mine. In finals the forwards need to tackle and lay pressure. AJ doesn’t bring enough defensive heat, as I didn’t think Henry ever did either. For this reason I’d play Howe forward for his leadership and defensive efforts along with his forward craft.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:13 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
I would be gobsmacked if Howe didn’t get selected for the finals. His marking, running and versatility is exactly what is needed to win finals. He is a big game performer who can be a game changer.

😂😂
Don’t tell me someone did a best 23 & left out Howe?
And someone wants to leave Markov out also. Genius ideas.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:35 pm

I really hope Markov doesn't get left out. It's frustrating when top-line players underperform but fringe players who are doing their bit take the bullet for them.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:59 pm

^ I concur with others that dropping Markov would be disappointing. We need his run and carry.

The key to stopping Hawthorn is cutting off Sicily's ability to take easy intercept marks. He's by far their most important player.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:40 am

Markov has really impressed. Usually, these speedsters get to a contest like a roadrunner, and too fast to make any difference at the coalface, but Markov has found a good balance.

And even more impressive, he is an excellent field kick. A rare combination.

Keeps calling for it, and rarely gets it, but teammates are getting used to him.

Spots are tight. Perhaps he stays in, Im not sure. I think he has it in him to be more of a playmaker, but needs more time in the squad. imo
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:54 am

I love Markov, my thoughts are that he might not be needed for the Hawks game. He is a. lock for finals, however.

In an ideal world W.H.E and Cox get dropped. For some reason W.H.E never gets dropped.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:30 am

For those critical of Johnson for his supposed lack of defensive pressure, I would suggest that he nevertheless applies significantly more tackling pressure than does Cox.

While Cox is a great weapon, when he is on, the gap between his good and bad games remain too big for my liking, approaching the finals. I think that Johnson cops too much criticism (at times even from me), because of his laconic style. This can be deceptive. To my mind, he is way too skilful to be left out of our side. At the very least, he should replace Cox for the next couple of weeks, to see how our forward line functions with him playing alongside McStay and Checkers.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:32 am

^ it's critical we have a blend of outside runners like Lipinski, WHE, Jaicos and Markov. Very important as part of our structure.
Lipinski and WHE are still building up their meters gained post return from injury. Our distributors simply didn't get first use of the ball, so our outside runners output waned exponentially with our contested ball deficit.
They'll all be hugely important cogs in our finals campaign.

Yes we were flat last week, but maybe it was a loss will undoubtedly sharpen our resolve. I can't see our midfield getting overwhelmed again like they did last week. If our mid-field ignites, watch the output of the above named rise markedly.
Maybe the loss against Carlton came at a good time, if a loss against Carlton can ever be looked at as anything but a disaster it does afford us to shine the light brightly on areas we need to focus on.

How the players respond will give the coaches a clear idea of the character and endeavour of the individuals mind set going into the business end of the season.

I reckon JDG was running at 75%. He's getting closer, so look for a big response this week.
Mitchell looks match weary. He's gone from 76% TOG against Bulldogs, > 44% against Freo, > 50% against Port, > 71% against Carlton. That's a managed workload.
Personally I'd like to see McCreery rotate with Adams to give McCreery some midfield minutes and another big body that can break tackles. Trouble is he's not a distributor like Mitchell. That's where I think we're breaking down, and Naicos isn't quite ready for that role, yet.
A bloke called Taranto would have been handy...

As a result, I'll be very interested on how the coaches use our rotations this week, particularly in the middle.

Only two changes for me this week :
Frampton in for Cox (omit) - and to play on those key position beasts HAwthorn are developing.
Hill in for Mitchell (rested).

Smash 'em lads.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:57 am

^^^ Why is Mitchell always match weary when he doesn't even play to his time capability?
Is he carrying an injury of sorts?

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:10 pm

^ He had a neck injury a few weeks back. He hasn't quite got fully fit, since.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:10 pm

Fox Sports: Latest selection news and updates ahead of Round 21, 2023
Ben Waterworth, August 3rd, 2023 12:48 pm

COLLINGWOOD coach Craig McRae is likely to revisit throwing Jeremy Howe forward as the Magpies look to get back on the winners list in a move that could pressure on underperforming big man Mason Cox. Howe booted three final-quarter goals in last week’s loss to Carlton’s after he was moved deep into the Magpies’ forward 50 after underperforming Cox was subbed out.

While the tactical shift came too late, it could be repeated against Hawthorn on Saturday, potentially leaving Cox on the outer. Cox only had three possessions last Friday and has kicked just a single goal in his past four games playing as a ruck forward. To accommodate a move forward, McRae has the option of bringing in Billy Frampton at the expense of Cox to play in defence and support Darcy Cameron in the ruck, but he suggested Cox would hold his spot.

“He’ll probably be the first to admit his last couple of weeks haven’t been his best for the year, but if you look at the whole season he’s had a terrific season,” he said. “We’ll see how the week progresses and try to get Mason playing as the best version of himself so it makes (selection) even harder for us.”

Bobby Hill sat out the Carlton game due to illness, but McRae was very confident he would be fit to face Hawthorn next week. McRae on Friday night suggested the likes of Frampton, Ash Johnson and Jack Ginnivan were all in the frame for a call-up in the coming weeks. “These guys have been in good form down in VFL level,” the Magpies coach said. “It’s a good problem because it puts pressure on and if you don’t execute your role, someone might be jumping up to take your spot.”

Trent Bianco (32 disposals) and Josh Carmichael (28 ) both pushed their cases in the VFL, with Will Kelly (3.1 from 22 disposals) doing his chances of a re-call no harm.

HAWTHORN could look to bring an extra tall into its starting 22 against Collingwood after an early tactical sub call against St Kilda. After the Saints’ stunning nine-goal blitz in the first quarter, Seamus Mitchell was subbed out and key defender James Blanck brought into the game. Blanck could start Saturday’s game against Collingwood on the field, although Denver Grainger-Barras put his hand up for a re-call after an impressive five-goal display for Box Hill in the VFL. Ruck Ned Reeves has served his suspension and could come straight back in for Lloyd Meek.

Link:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-team-news-whispers-updates-for-round-21-2023-afl-news-2023-round-21-teams-selection-squads-supercoach/news-story/4215618d0fcb6ca3ce53192546f694c5

❤️️
Take_a_Screamer Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:20 pm

ZeroHanger: Hawthorn stopper confirmed to take on Collingwood star as Mitchell makes selection calls
Mitch Keating, August 3, 2023 12:58pm

Hawthorn will call on defensive-minded midfielder Finn Maginness to shut down Brownlow favourite Nick Daicos this weekend as Sam Mitchell plans to get the upper hand over ladder leaders Collingwood through the middle of the ground.

https://www.zerohanger.com/hawthorn-stopper-confirmed-to-take-on-collingwood-star-as-mitchell-makes-selection-calls-140724/

❤️️
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:47 pm

Sam Frost is out for the Hawks
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:31 pm

Anyone have stats? Feels to me Markov took off recently and Noble’s dropped off a bit. I like that both have upside and give us options. IQ’s been giving us more dash too, so Noble’s maybe playing a slightly different role? Absolutely no negative to Johnny, we just have more players giving us that run and dash now. Crisp another and Bruz has been running up the ground more recently.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: