Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me say categorically that like most others, I believe we are off to a bright start with McFly. However, that's exactly what it is - a start, with much to learn by both players and coaches it seems.

There are some here who apparently already see McFly as the coming of the messiah and Buckley as the defeated anti-christ. A very unrealistic, jaundiced view IMHO and as such, a rather daft one.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:45 pm

think positive wrote:

Well e cent theDe Goey bit, all is not forgiven!

I don't think that JDG is all that concerned about how you feel about him. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:50 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I wouldn't be too down about it. Collingwood managed just 1 goal to 3/4 time in the previous 2 games against Geelong under the former coach. So, last night's effort was 13 times as good. That's about how it felt, disappointing and all as the ending was.

Collingwood is the first side since PORT in 2009 R21 (v BRIS) to kick 9+ goals in a quarter and then none in the next.

Quote:
Titus O'Reily
@TitusOReily
We have to wait for the dust to settle, but I suspect the review will identify that not playing the fourth quarter was a tactical mistake by Collingwood. #AFLPiesCats

Just wanted to add some different perspectives on yesterday's game to the anti-Buckley one above Wink

I am not "anti-Buckley". He was one of my handful of favourite players. I was thrilled when he was appointed Coach. I supported his efforts steadfastly for a number of years until it became beyond obvious that he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. You know, loyalty stops - and sanity prevails - when the rest of the gang is running off the cliff into the sea.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I wouldn't be too down about it. Collingwood managed just 1 goal to 3/4 time in the previous 2 games against Geelong under the former coach. So, last night's effort was 13 times as good. That's about how it felt, disappointing and all as the ending was.

Collingwood is the first side since PORT in 2009 R21 (v BRIS) to kick 9+ goals in a quarter and then none in the next.

Quote:
Titus O'Reily
@TitusOReily
We have to wait for the dust to settle, but I suspect the review will identify that not playing the fourth quarter was a tactical mistake by Collingwood. #AFLPiesCats

Just wanted to add some different perspectives on yesterday's game to the anti-Buckley one above Wink

I am not "anti-Buckley". He was one of my handful of favourite players. I was thrilled when he was appointed Coach. I supported his efforts steadfastly for a number of years until it became beyond obvious that he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. You know, loyalty stops - and sanity prevails - when the rest of the gang is running off the cliff into the sea.

If you were not anti-Buckley, I don't know why you would even bother to look that stat up and then post it? Weird.

Sanity prevails when a person realizes that the past is the past and that they're trying to get mileage out of something that is done and dusted, thereby looking irrelevant to the present.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:00 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Let me say categorically that like most others, I believe we are off to a bright start with McFly. However, that's exactly what it is - a start, with much to learn by both players and coaches it seems.

There are some here who apparently already see McFly as the coming of the messiah and Buckley as the defeated anti-christ. A very unrealistic, jaundiced view IMHO and as such, a rather daft one.

I haven't read one comment here that could suggest that McCrae is the new Messiah. I think all the comments have admired the exhilarating style of play that he is ushering in, and are impressed by the expression of talent that we all suspected did exist, but was not given freedom to flourish under the previous coaching regime. I think the major sentiment has been that our new coaches have alot to learn and plenty of adjustments to make, but we are happy with the start.
Nowhere have I seen any comment likening Buckley to the defeated anti-christ either. I just think that very appropriately a comparison has been drawn with what we are witnessing this year, and the suffocating game style we saw last year.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I think the major sentiment has been that our new coaches have alot to learn and plenty of adjustments to make, but we are happy with the start.

What would you suggest that they may have learnt from yesterday's game?

What adjustments would you like to see them bring in?
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:21 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
I think the major sentiment has been that our new coaches have alot to learn and plenty of adjustments to make, but we are happy with the start.

What would you suggest that they may have learnt from yesterday's game?

What adjustments would you like to see them bring in?

I think the main one that I could identify, P2016 mentioned, as did Fly himself at the presser, was the need for adjustments in the game style to spread more evenly the available energy levels over 4 quarters - a plan B for more defensive, energy conserving play. Also clearly, our defensive structures collapsed in the last quarter, this was I feel a product of exhaustion. However, our team is not experienced in playing in this manner, so more guidance and training will be necessary in how to deal with momentum runs against us. McCrae said in the presser that we really still have no clear idea about where we stand in comparison to other teams. He has no clear knowledge because data based on last year is useless. Therefore, he will need tp learn more about individual players abilities and capacities to play in the new game style, and adjust team selection and coaching moves accordingly. I cannot tell you how, as I am not an AFL coach!

Edit: By the way, when I say it was a product of "exhaustion", Fly as the press conference made clear that he did not believe that this exhaustion was primarily physical. He didn't elaborate, but I am trying to imagine what he means. I think he is referring to the mental/emotional effort to keep playing in a new way which has not yet become imprinted into the players' AFL DNA, and the fact that a powerful opposition was now disrupting and challenging how we were previously achieving this.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:32 pm

All sounds very reasonable to me. Thank you for such a thoughtful, constructive response. Looking forward with anticipation to what the coaching staff and team leaders can come up with.

Our first three games have been full of momentum swings, some more exaggerated than others Smile Many other AFL games to date have also seen clear momentum shifts happening. Therefore, it seems necessary that as well as learning how to establish momentum in our favour (very promising signs there!), we need to learn how to stem the other side's run on as well..
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:02 pm

^^^^

From what I gather stemming a run on from the opposition is easier said than done. Players have to be able to run both ways consistently during the game and we lacked doing this yesterday. Another thing easier said than done is the stopping of turn overs that sometimes cost us goals. Haven’t seen any team being able to completely prevent this from happening.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:46 pm

Yeah, for sure Lazza, run ons can be really hard to stop.
Perhaps they can be contained to some extent by having the strongest, most influential players in the middle and not on the bench and by slowing down the speed of play, which might then reduce player fatigue and turnovers. Also, player positional moves can sometimes work and are worth a try..

I realize all this depends on the level of quality, leadership, skills, fitness and endeavour within the team. It's a tough one.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:02 pm

After 4 rounds, Collingwood is above the teams who, between them, won every premiership between 2013 and 2020 and above 4 of the last 6 Grand Finalists.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:51 pm

Long season yet and we still have work to do with what we have in our stable and Craig is fully aware what he has at hand and what’s needed to get the best he can from it

OK so we are not 4 & zip with 180 % but some of the things we were crap at last year we have made improvements on

I am hoping I can retain the patience I have till round 23 but I’ll give it a go

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:02 am

Tracking Ok
I think actually that it is still hard to say what we are capable of.
Today we played perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best team in the comp with a forward line structure cobbled together in a 5 day turn around.
80% of our preferred forward line out.
I saw the look on Wilson;s face at one point in the game. He had just run off the ground after kicking a goal.
But he was desperate to get back on.
His face at that time, the determination, the desire, was proof to me that this young team is on board with Fly.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:33 pm

i want Buckley back. No one ever kicked 5 goals in 10 minutes against a Buckley coached team!!!!!
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:46 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Tracking Ok
I think actually that it is still hard to say what we are capable of.
Today we played perhaps the 2nd or 3rd best team in the comp with a forward line structure cobbled together in a 5 day turn around.
80% of our preferred forward line out.
I saw the look on Wilson;s face at one point in the game. He had just run off the ground after kicking a goal.
But he was desperate to get back on.
His face at that time, the determination, the desire, was proof to me that this young team is on board with Fly.

Excellent point. Bodes well for the future. This season is a “learn as you go”one with baby steps becoming larger as team and individual confidence grows. Patience is the golden key that will unlock future success. Happy for that to happen this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: