Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Welcome to Collingwood, Coach Craig McRae

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's almost like the previous appalling decade didn't happen - except that we still all bear the emotional scars.
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:00 am

We've just won six in a row having only won six in the whole of last year. He has galvanised both the players and supporters. I felt we needed to make a change from Bucks but we needed to make sure we found the right person to take us forward. It looks like we have...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:39 am

It is worth observing that Collingwood:

- has already achieved a better win/loss record than it managed in 2020, when we last played finals (10 wins, 8 losses and a draw from 19 matches); and

- is a reasonable chance to achieve as many wins as it did in both the 2018 and the 2019 home and away season (15 and 7 both years);

- has already won more games than we won in either 2016 or 2017 (9 in each season);

- has already equalled the nunber of wins we managed in 2015 (10);

- would be a nearly unbackable favourite to win more games than the 11 we won in 2014;

- is a better than reasonable chance to achieve as many wins as it did in the 2013 home and away season (14 wins).

Of course, the wheels may yet come off, given that we don't presently field (as we did in 2012) Cloke, Dawes, Swan, Beams, Johnson, Jolly, Krakoeur, Reid, Heater, H, Thomas and Wellingham (amongst others) but this has been a brilliant season, so far, from a coaching team doing its best with one arm tied behind its back, personnel-wise.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:29 pm

Soberingly poor stats there, the Lost Decade indeed...I guess that guy who wrote the hubris article about us in 2011 really hit the nail on the head

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:09 pm

Craig talked of the tight wins against Carlton & Hawthorn then the Suns

They were different tight wins he said—the Carlton/Hawthorn ones were clinging to a slight margin where as the suns got 14 points up and the boys just said we have to go back to work again

The rooms after the game with sons,daughters ,mums and dad’s felt just great

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:08 pm

This is looking like a remarkably quick turnaround from last season, which says a heck of a lot about the coaching "smarts" & philosophy.

I didn't expect we'd be in the mix for finals, at this stage of the season.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:14 pm

Well, 11 wins means McRae first season can at worst result in a 50% win ratio.

If he retires today, he's equal 5th on the record of win percentage amongst all Collingwood coaches.

In fact, at this stage, his win percentage is better than McHale, Hafey, Malthouse and Matthews.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:24 pm

We have only had two coaches with multiple premiership,s

McHale and Kyne

Now that’s the record I’d like to see him equal or surpass

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:02 am

Great presser this week (as always).
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:46 am

When doesn't he give a great presser? The bloke is the Buddha of mature leadership. Always giving praise to his assistants, refusing to give excuses. Sitting between praise and humility, satisfaction and dissatisfaction. Handled the Ginni questions with class as always.

Just quality all the way.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:28 pm

In my opinion, McRae's contribution isn't aptly captured just by the results - howsoever dramatically improved they may be. The team is, in addition, infinitely better to watch under the new game plan - not just because they're winning more but because the new approach allows players to express themselves and demonstrate their flair. Previously, Collingwood could not expect to be competitive unless it won the stoppages and the contested possessions handsomely. It was dour, hideous stuff and it wore the good players down - there was nothing at all to take away from a Collingwood game unless the team won.

Now, we have genuine clips for the highlights reel every game and from a variety of players. In short, Collingwood is watchable, again.
Crimson Mask 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:14 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
In my opinion, McRae's contribution isn't aptly captured just by the results - howsoever dramatically improved they may be. The team is, in addition, infinitely better to watch under the new game plan - not just because they're winning more but because the new approach allows players to express themselves and demonstrate their flair. Previously, Collingwood could not expect to be competitive unless it won the stoppages and the contested possessions handsomely. It was dour, hideous stuff and it wore the good players down - there was nothing at all to take away from a Collingwood game unless the team won.

Now, we have genuine clips for the highlights reel every game and from a variety of players. In short, Collingwood is watchable, again.

this x 100000000000000
Illustrates in a nutshell why Buckley was a shit coach.
Structured the team to within an inch of their life.
Routinely overcoached
And most importantly sucked the joy and spark out of his side.

Although not a student of psychology, I feel that there's a direct correlation between playing attacking football and belief, self confidence, self esteem, positivity and contentment.

Under the uber conservative, risk averse and negative Buckley game plan, I firmly believe that it had an adverse impact on mindset, self belief and self worth. Sort of like having the players believe that they have to play in this fashion as they're not good enough to play with flair and instinctively.

The fact that McRae has been able to seamlessly integrate an attacking game plan into this team, suggests that they have far more talent than Buckley ever gave them credit for, and reflects badly on Nathan's capabilities as a coach.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:04 pm

^ you've gone early with the finals coached.

Fly could get COVID which would leave Bolts or Leppa to coach the game.

think better 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:16 pm

I reckon Fly is actually Ted Lasso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrqhHtaUJs

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:17 pm

[quote="Crimson Mask"]
Pies4shaw wrote:
In my opinion, McRae's contribution isn't aptly captured just by the results - howsoever dramatically improved they may be. The team is, in addition, infinitely better to watch under the new game plan - not just because they're winning more but because the new approach allows players to express themselves and demonstrate their flair. Previously, Collingwood could not expect to be competitive unless it won the stoppages and the contested possessions handsomely. It was dour, hideous ^

this x 100000000000000
Illustrates in a nutshell why Buckley was a shit coach.
Structured the team to within an inch of their life.
Routinely overcoached
And most importantly sucked the joy and spark out of his side.

Although not a student of psychology, I feel that there's a direct correlation between playing attacking football and belief, self confidence, self esteem, positivity and contentment.

Under the uber conservative, risk averse and negative Buckley game plan, I firmly believe that it had an adverse impact on mindset, self belief and self worth. Sort of like having the players believe that they have to play in this fashion as they're not good enough to play with flair and instinctively.

The fact that McRae has been able to seamlessly integrate an attacking game plan into this team, suggests that they have far more talent than Buckley ever gave them credit for, and reflects badly on Nathan's capabilities as a coach.

Agree Crimson Mask. your description of Buckley as a coach to me is spot on. His influence unfortunately undermined our players' confidence, and therefore their self-belief and self-esteem.
McRae's transformation of our team shows how in touch he is with the psychology of young men. He has unleashed all their creative and physical potential, and in such a short time.
Credit also to the assistant coaches, who must have also played a highly important role in this process.
The amazing progress of Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox, and - dare I say it - the flourishing of our veterans: Pendles, Sidey, Jamie, since last year, points to the fact that even champions can be developed when the coach is in sync with the team psyche.
But I don't want to think about Bux anymore: I just want to celebrate this amazing coach who is bringing to our team such a joie de vivre, confidence and self-worth, and such happiness to all those who love the Pies.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: