Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Nineteenth Hole

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Cool, ta for that. I'll worry about getting the fkn thing going straight before I worry about extra distance. At the moment, adding 20m to my drive would be just 20m further into the fkn trees.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:12 pm

Golf last Friday was on the improve, played within myself without trying for the glory shots. Unfortunately had 3 unplayables which pushed my score out to 47.

Finished equal first with handicap in our comp but lost on a countback. At least he was a Pies supporter!!
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Golf is great again! Played very well on Friday arvo. Consecutive weeks I've finished second in our chicken run competition.

Although I hit a 45 again, it felt more like a 40 with a couple of duffed chips, a lost ball in the dam and 3-4 easy putts sliding past the hole. Driving was spot on, held back, rather trying to hit the cover off. I think I've found my game and it can only get better!!!!!

Looking fwd to next week.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:12 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
I think I've found my game and it can only get better!!!!!

Congrats on dooming yourself to a 55+ for your next 9 holes.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 12:31 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Golf is great again! Played very well on Friday arvo. Consecutive weeks I've finished second in our chicken run competition.

Although I hit a 45 again, it felt more like a 40 with a couple of duffed chips, a lost ball in the dam and 3-4 easy putts sliding past the hole. Driving was spot on, held back, rather trying to hit the cover off. I think I've found my game and it can only get better!!!!!

Were your duffed chips close to the green where you might have been able to putt them?
Another option to consider is grip down on a hybrid and use a putting stroke, that'll give you just enough loft to move it through the fringe onto the putting surface.
Practice these around the putting green. It's a great utility club to have and for me acts as a 15th club.

Course management is the other area I reckon most 20 handicappers can regularly cut 5 shots per round. Knowing where to hit to e.g. on a Par5 to make the third shot as easy as possible (unless you're a gorilla and going for it in two...)
An example is one of our regular but challenging Par 5's. I just hit a hybrid off the tee, as I know the maximum I'll hit that is 220m if I flush it, more regularly a nudge over 200m. My view is I can only hit the hybrid that far, so my next shot with a 5i I can make an effortless 165m but if needed, 175m. If I've got 365m out of those two clubs, it's going to be a PW or less down the throat of the green and no bunkers to hit over.
Since I've been doing that, I've avoided doubles, and now pars are expected.

Most Par 5's are between 450m-550m. If you even hit 2x 175m shots, you're likely then in a manageable PW to 8i distance to the green.
Not having to hit over bunkers is crucial. Hit it to the open side of the green. That way when you're looking at the green, you don't have to worry about the hazards.

I love golf.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 12:31 pm

Yeah Laurie, the duffed shots were out of putting reach. I have been using a 4 iron with hands down the shaft to bump and run. It has been working well until last Friday. I do have a chipper in my bag but lost confidence with it when I tried to make it do too much.

Since I've got back into the game after 15 years, I've had to change my whole game. Course management had never entered my mind, back then as 250m drives was my strength. Now I'm older the distances have reduced somewhat and am happy to set up off the tee for my second shot. My new strength is my hybrid 4 which is a ripper and hits a beautiful 130-160m with a slight L to R fade.

As we speak, I have a Ping 31degree hybrid in the post. I suppose it's equivalent to a hybrid 7. Can't wait for it to arrive as it will fill a gap in distances.

Yes, golf is great!!!
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
Yeah Laurie, the duffed shots were out of putting reach. I have been using a 4 iron with hands down the shaft to bump and run. It has been working well until last Friday. I do have a chipper in my bag but lost confidence with it when I tried to make it do too much.

Since I've got back into the game after 15 years, I've had to change my whole game. Course management had never entered my mind, back then as 250m drives was my strength. Now I'm older the distances have reduced somewhat and am happy to set up off the tee for my second shot. My new strength is my hybrid 4 which is a ripper and hits a beautiful 130-160m with a slight L to R fade.

As we speak, I have a Ping 31degree hybrid in the post. I suppose it's equivalent to a hybrid 7. Can't wait for it to arrive as it will fill a gap in distances.

Yes, golf is great!!!

New club, I understand the sense of anticipation in wielding that out on the course.

Another tip I find helps is use the Don Bradman rule. If you don't need to get it in the air, avoid it. My old golf coach was big on this.
Lofted clubs are precision clubs. If you path to the green is open, consider a pitch with less loft to get your ball rolling to the intended target. But really think about where you're going to land the ball on the surface, plays a big part on where you'll be putting from next.
Theory being, if you start to get the ball consistently closer on those approach shots, the less putts required.
Most golfers hit shots to the pin, where more time needs to be spent on thinking how the ball will release once it hits the deck.

I've been out of playing for too long and coming back my driving is pretty rough. I'm all out of sequence and trying to hit it like I'm 35 y/o again. I need to heed your approach per previous post and stop trying to hit the cover off it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: