Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Giants. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Johnston comes in for McStay.
I watched him the after match celebrations for the Grand Final.
He seemed genuinely happy with the outcome.
He seemed to be comfortable with being at Collingwood even though he didn't play in the GF.

I have read good reports about him this preseason.
I watched him closely during the Norf practice match.
He seemed more focus and he chased really well.
It is now or never for him this year.
He has oddles of talent.
Let it rip Johnno boy!!!!
Horatio Fin 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:36 pm

I'd love to see him become the player I think he could possibly be.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:39 pm

Agreed.

Johnson and/or McInnes will need to step up to cover the loss of McStay.
Kreuger also has his opportunity.

The sight of McStay working his backside off to get back on the park should be inspirational for every Magpie player...

De Mattia will have an awesome role model during his lay off.

Floreat Pica

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:49 pm

After Brayshaw happened, you'd think Murph is one hit away from retirement too. I predict the Carlton game.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:20 pm

Hope we hear the chorus of this around the ground if Pendles lifts us across the line against the Giants:
https://twitter.com/BenryintheBooth/status/1757909306102710407?t=uaf3bZIdDoyOPrdTzONLQg&s=19

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:05 pm

There’s going to be some interesting selection decisions vs the Giants. I see a couple areas where two players will be vying for one spot only in the best 22 ( assuming there are no more injuries until round one )

Dean vs Frampton at full back ( assuming Murph doesn’t play )
Surely only one will play in the opening round. Both struggled against Larkey but you would think Frampton gets first crack until his form suggests otherwise.
McInnes vs Johnson as a tall forward. I’m suggesting only one will play and it’s a tough call either way. Both have been fairly impressive to date but both are very different as to what they bring on the field. I’ve got McInnes slightly ahead of Johnson for round one on the back of him having more strings to his bow than Johnson. It’s a close call.
Macrae vs Sullivan ( assuming Mitchell is already in the team ) This is the toughest decision of all for mine. I don’t see a team where Collingwood would pick three inside mids, so I have it that one of them misses out. If one of them can be a standout against the Tigers, then they should get the nod. They will want to reward Macrae for a stellar pre season but Sullivan has proven to be every bit Macrae’s equal in all match sim plays. I’m probably leaning more towards Macrae as a reward for his perseverance and commitment to improve, ahead of Sullivan against the Giants.
Also Lipinski now shapes as the 2024 wildcard in our midfield structures. He is in fine form and looks back to his 2022 best, so his elevation into the best 22 may yet see that only one of Macrae or Sullivan play as the tactical sub while the other misses completely.

All in all, pleasent problems and they’re the problems you want when you’re looking to stave off any apathy after a flag. There’s no better incentive to perform at the elite level than the fear of being dropped because your immediate competition is breathing down your neck.
Bring it on !
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^

Thanks P2016. Great to read your analysis and looking forward to it throughout this season. Fantastic to hear that you rate Sullivan; it is hugely important to have depth in the inside mid stocks, and as you say competition between Sully (seems a good nickname) and Finn will keep them both striving for ever better performance.
Interesting dilemma between McInnes and Johnson. I think that over the preseason we almost certainly have been experimenting with creative and new tactics/'permutations between our tall and small forwards, and that these have been strenuously protected from any outside prying eyes. I am looking forward to what new forward combinations we are preparing to unleash, I am sure they will be different, according to whether it is Johnson or McInnes partnering Checkers in F50. GWS will be out for revenge. but all our players will be out to ensure they perform well enough to be selected the following week! Go Pies!! I can hardly wait for 2024 to begin.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:58 am

masoncox wrote:
I hope Johnston comes in for McStay.
I watched him the after match celebrations for the Grand Final.
He seemed genuinely happy with the outcome.
He seemed to be comfortable with being at Collingwood even though he didn't play in the GF.

I have read good reports about him this preseason.
I watched him closely during the Norf practice match.
He seemed more focus and he chased really well.
It is now or never for him this year.
He has oddles of talent.
Let it rip Johnno boy!!!!

Huge job against one of the best backmen in the AFL.

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:18 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Hope we hear the chorus of this around the ground if Pendles lifts us across the line against the Giants:
https://twitter.com/BenryintheBooth/status/1757909306102710407?t=uaf3bZIdDoyOPrdTzONLQg&s=19

I liked this one - reminds me of the Coodabeen Champion days

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:04 pm

The speed and defensive pressure of GWS small forwards Brent Daniels (172cm/75kg) and Toby Bedford (179cm/75kg) were a key part to GWS surge in 2023.
Darcy Jones (175cm 70kg) pick #21 in the 2022 draft, is set to be added to the mix after missing the 2023 after his ACL injury, while arguably the biggest shock on draft night last year was the Giants using pick #12 on Phoenix Gothard (179cm/72kg), another quick and dangerous small forward.
Throw in #1 pick Aaron Cadman (195cm/95kg) and veteran Jesse Hogan (196cm/100kg), who produced a career-best season last year, and the Giants have a forward mix that is potent. Oh, and a bloke called Toby Greene.

I can see this game going at a cracking pace. As a result, I reckon our homework will need to be done on the back 6 come team selections, and I won't be surprised if Johnny Noble finds his way into the side to give us some greater speed and versatility in defence.

“The sub rule will continue,” the AFL said in a statement, “but clubs will now name an extended bench of five players (an increase from four) and three emergency players.”
Then, 60 minutes before a match, each team will reveal who is the sub from the five players named on the extended bench.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:48 am; edited 11 times in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:57 am

Historically, the last practice match is designed to be a serious tune up to the season opener. Winning is nice but it takes a back seat to players executing their roles and understanding the team strategies. I would expect how we line up for the majority of the game will be a likely precursor to our plans for the Giants. Obviously a couple will make way for Howe and Pendlebury but noted observations like Murphy still not playing and Sullivan being an emergency outside of an already extended bench, likely suggests they won’t be part of our opening game.
For mine, all eyes are on the Johnson / McInnes performances this game. The club will be looking for something that makes picking one of them an easier decision at team selection.
As Rodney Eade famously once said “ practice matches are like dancing with your sister. There’s really not much in it “ but there’s still plenty to be gained from a couple fringe players putting their hand up against the Tigers tonight and demanding first crack against the Giants.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:14 am

Fly could surprise us with a couple of selections, but my guess we'll line up something like this. I'm assuming Murphy won't play, and may in fact have retired.

B: Maynard. Frampton. Howe
HB: Markov. Moore Quaynor

C: Sidey Pendles. J. Daicos
Foll: Cameron, JDG, N. Daicos

HF: McCreery. Johnson Elliott
F: Schultz. Checkers Hill

IC: Cox, Mitchell, Crisp, Lipinski

EM: WHE, Macrae

Last edited by RudeBoy on Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:45 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'm assuming Murphy won't play, and may in fact have retired.

This is an interesting thought.
He might have come to the club and said “I’m done” and they said - “no rush mate. Take your time - see how you feel in a month or two or three”. Once it was announced he’s not going to play then there’s actually nothing to be gained by formally retiring now is there?
I hope this isn’t the case, but it is an interesting position to be in so there may be some basis for your speculation.

Seperately, if his career does end short, what role will we allocate Willie Rioli and Caminiti in his demise? Both of whom whacked him if completely non-football acts. In this environment (rightly or wrongly) Rioli got off way too lightly. From memory the other guy got three I think. Bad enough to have players concussed from footy acts, but swinging arms and slaps and other crap should be clamped down on hard.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:55 pm

any pre venue for collingwood fans there at sydney showgrounds
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:03 pm

piffdog wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I'm assuming Murphy won't play, and may in fact have retired.

He might have come to the club and said “I’m done” and they said - “no rush mate. Take your time - see how you feel in a month or two or three”. Once it was announced he’s not going to play then there’s actually nothing to be gained by formally retiring now is there? .

Would have opened up another list spot if he retired before Feb 19, no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: