Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Giants. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
^Not sure we can base our assessment of AJ on just the performance in the practice game. Darcy Moore gave an interview to SEN in which he spoke very highly of AJ's preseason, and expressed his conviction that AJ is ready to step up into Dan McStay's role.
The development of AJ this year is going to be of huge importance, and this is his real chance. I am looking forward to see what he can do.

I thought both McInnes and Johnson were pretty reasonable against North but the bigger picture is that North do not have one decent quality defender on their entire list, so getting a kick against them shouldn’t be a difficult ask. A week later and Johnson ( and to a lesser extent, McInnes ) find themselves on Gibcus, who is only a young man still trying to find his way in the game at the elite level. Neither took advantage of that opportunity ( albeit McInnes played much less minutes ) so the questions still remain and likely will for the entire season. The plus is that there is competition between two players for one spot but the negative could still yet be that neither are good enough to make position their own. It’s going to be a fascinating watch, so hopefully injury doesn’t derail the battle between them both.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:58 pm

Didn't North play McKay against us? He can defend. Plus the North Melbourne mids got on top of us in the second half, so the ball wasn't coming down there that often. I would say we make a decision on either Johnson or McInnes, and play that player for the first half of the season to get a bit of confidence into him. Until McStay gets back into the team we need to play another tall. Mihocek and Cox aren't enough.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:19 pm

I'd like to see Johnson get first go - he can be a special player. He's capable of some great plays - needs to perform them more consistently and defend a bit harder
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:29 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Didn't North play McKay against us?
He can defend. Plus the North Melbourne mids got on top of us in the second half, so the ball wasn't coming down there that often.....

Not since they traded him to the Dopers last trade period Razz

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:30 pm

stui magpie wrote:
They've got Hogan, we've got Shultz and Le Beau. While Le Beau is feeding Shultz, Hogan will be locked in solitary..

You Know Nothiiiiiinnnnnggggg!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:52 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Didn't North play McKay against us? He can defend. Plus the North Melbourne mids got on top of us in the second half, so the ball wasn't coming down there that often. I would say we make a decision on either Johnson or McInnes, and play that player for the first half of the season to get a bit of confidence into him. Until McStay gets back into the team we need to play another tall. Mihocek and Cox aren't enough.

Ben McKay has gone to Essendon as a free agent, so North have very little in defensive stocks. Given our B grade mid field was beaten by North ( partic in second half ) Johnson and McInnes were both ok but that’s their challenge.
We need one of these guys to step up and be trusted against good opposition, not just cellar dwellers or opponents who have played very little senior footy ( which is why Johnson against Gibcus was noteworthy)
Neither Johnson or McInnes will be expected to kick three every week but they will need to be competitive for the entire game. Anything less and others will be given similar opportunities.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:03 pm

We certainly can't replicate the GF plan by selecting Frampton to create a nil all draw with Taylor, because we don't have Murphy up the other end.
I am not greatly enthused by the prospect of Frampton as a pure defender - in my mind, he plays best as a second ruck, which we don't need for this game.
I also don't like the idea of playing with only two talls (Moore and Howe) in defence.
So i think we should debut Charlie Dean. It is not throwing a lamb to the wolves, because in the first game no team is at their very best.
I am giving AJ first crack at the Dan McStay role, because I have always admired his evident talent, and it is now or never for him. Surely he will be switched on to make the most of this opportunity.
The question of the sub was very challenging. I wanted to give it to Noble, for his elite speed, but thought that this wouldn't give us as much flexibility as McCrae.
If a runner or fast player goes down, McCrae comes into the midfield and releases someone like JDG, or a Crisp, to run purely on the outside. If either Cox or Cameron goes down, we will need an extra mid.

B:Bruzzy Dean Markov
CB: Howe Moore IQ
C: Josh Daicos Nick Daicos Sidey
CF: Shultz Checkers Hill
FF: Elliott AJ Lipinski
R: Cox JDG Mitchell
INT: Pendles Crisp Cameron WHE
Sub: McCrae

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:06 pm

piedys wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
They've got Hogan, we've got Shultz and Le Beau. While Le Beau is feeding Shultz, Hogan will be locked in solitary..

You Know Nothiiiiiinnnnnggggg!

Look, he does at least know the name of a GWS forward. But yeah, a conclusion about the result of this game based on Le Beau feeding Schulz while Hogan remains in solitary, seems superficial at best.
It seems to omit the fact that GWS has two elite pressure small forwards, not counting one other by the name of Toby Green. Shocked

npalm 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:36 am

^ Stui & piedys are making a jokey reference to a great TV show of the sixties. A bit before your time I'm guessing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:36 am

^
That’s where his nickname “Sergeant” comes from!

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:34 pm

npalm wrote:
^ Stui & piedys are making a jokey reference to a great TV show of the sixties. A bit before your time I'm guessing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogan%27s_Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmzsWxPLIOo

Aha, i understand now!

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:05 pm

Giants' AFL flag quest more than beating Magpies
The AFL expects a sell-out in Western Sydney while fans puzzle over how, or even if, the Magpies can be stopped.

https://www.examiner.com.au/story/8542465/giants-afl-flag-quest-more-than-beating-magpies/

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 pm

Not expecting any real surprises for the opening round with only 2 changes from our Premiership 23.

Out: Ginnivan, Murphy
In: Schultz, Johnson

Frampton who was in the starting 22 on GF day takes the spot of Murphy in defence, while the newly arrived Schultz obviously replaces Ginnivan up forward.

The preseason form of Lipinski is to good to ignore so he comes into the starting 22.

I'm relegating Johnson to the role of substitute partly because he failed to really separate himself from McInnes in his last outing. He does however seem the preferred option of the two for opening round. I also feel that including the extra ground level player in the starting 22 is probably warranted against a GWS side who love to run and attack in waves. I'm anticipating a hot start to this game and a highly motivated opponent. Cameron and Cox at their best have the ability to be capable marking targets up forward in aid of Mihocek.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:40 am

Agreed with Swoop 42.

This will be a ferociously contested game- GWS will be after payback- Pies will be out to assert ourselves at the start of 2024.

Murphy will be a loss from the best 22 until he returns but Frampton can plug some of Murphy's output. Schultz will be an upgrade on Ginnivan in terms of forward-pressure.

Johnson plays and must make a statement in terms of what he does when the ball is in dispute. Simply must be very hard at the contest and pressure the opposition backs. He is a lethal shot on goal and his few goals could be mighty important.

Our midfield will be truly tested by the quality opposition and we cannot just rely on Nick Daicos and De Goey to do it all. Fortunately Crisp, Mitchell, Pendlebury, Lipinski & Elliott can roll through there with Josh Daicos and Sidebottom on the wings as support.

Until Murphy returns, I think that there will be a greater appreciation of what Will Hoskin-Elliott brings to the team. He is a dependable component of the team who rolls back defensively to lend a hand.

Hopefully, we hit the ground running and chalk up an important first win.

The premiership this year will be very tough to win from inside the top four so a strong start to the season is essential.

For what it is worth, I still believe that the season is beginning way to early- I have authentic concerns for players in what might be very hot conditions around the nation- whatever happened to player welfare???

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:21 am

warburton lad wrote:
For what it is worth, I still believe that the season is beginning way to early- I have authentic concerns for players in what might be very hot conditions around the nation- whatever happened to player welfare???

I agree. The temperature in Melbourne this Saturday is predicted to be 36 degrees. Fortunately, i dont think there is a game at the G on Saturday, but all other locations will have day temperatures of at least 29 degrees. Once again, we see that health and safety is always disregarded when profits are at stake.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: