Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The next few weeks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Jezza wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Didn't we start 2018 0-2 and made the GF?

Correct.
First win was in Round 3 against Carlton.

Richmond had 6 pts after rd 4 (W,D,L,L) in 2022 before going back to back. Even after losing their 1st final

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:27 am

I am concerned our next win wont be v saints nor lions or hawks but port at the mcg but by that time we would be too far behind the 8 ball.
To me the saints game is make or break win we could say we are back on track loss and its nearly time to start thinking of 2025.
i know its early but in telling you folks we will struggle to mkae the 8.
i did say in feb that we would either be top 4 or miss the 8 completely.
theres no of this 6th or 7th spot thing.
i said say 2nd or 10th at the start of the season.
we have holes every where that unless we play the kids.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:07 pm

Watching Brisbane last week and this is like a mirror image of watching Collingwood. Come out and play first quater/ quater and a bit. That is all...run out of puff.

Brisbane should have been far too good for both Carlton and Fremantle, yet have been run over the top of by both.

Both sides it is no coincidence look well short of the required level of match fittness to run out four quaters. The rest of the competition has come out at a higher level...very few easy wins this year.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:16 pm

^ I think the early start to the season has impacted both Grand Finalists.

If Brisbane do go onto lose, it would be the first time in VFL/AFL history where both Grand Finalists from the year before start the subsequent season 0-2.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:18 pm

Sadly, the Lions are storming back
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:22 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Sadly, the Lions are storming back

Not sure what game your watching Freo by 37 with 9 mins to go, both sides have been smashed by injuries

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:23 pm

^ No, they're not - they're getting thrashed 13 goals to 7 with 8 minutes to play.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:28 pm

Jezza wrote:
^ I think the early start to the season has impacted both Grand Finalists.

If Brisbane do go onto lose, it would be the first time in VFL/AFL history where both Grand Finalists from the year before start the subsequent season 0-2.

Brisbane are going to lose, very badly. Two weeks in a row they've had 8 unanswered goals kicked against them after they've got out to a good start. It's presently 13 goals to 3 Freo's way since Brisbane kicked their 4th goal (and led 4 goals to 0). This is what happens when you make the Grand Finalists play in the first half of March. It's disgusting - and much and all as I hate Brisbane and enjoy them losing, it's hard to take too much pleasure from watching this.
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:34 pm

Back in 2017 Sydney started the year 0-6 and ended the season 14-8 and also won an elimination final.
We need to improve A LOT but this season is far from over.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:39 pm

Let's see how Collingwood goes once we get to footy season.
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 am

The other thing i will add, this isn't a giant drop off in form..(think 2011 to 2012 Collingwood) where we were a 20 to 40 point better side then almost anyone else in the comp save for Geelong.

We won most games last year by what between 3 goals and a under 1 goal.

So a drop off in form of even a percent or two turns the close games this year into losses and if our opponents are a 10 to 15 percent better side then us..well there is round 0 and 1 for you.

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:25 pm

Was the round zero and round 1 training profile from the Pies and Lions that far off GWS and Carlton who both lost Prelim's in 2023? They had 1 week extra holiday or 1 week headstart on training versus the pies. I think for both WGS and Carlton the difference was more hunger. The lions let go mentally once they'd thought they'd won it at half time.
The pies lost the prelim in 2022 and came out of the gate in 2023 despite some key position injuries.
Clearly the Pies have celebrated and the Lions have commiserated and there's no guarantee we'll see them return to the 2023 highs as the competition has moved on and both teams have missed the start.
I'm looking forward to some improvement from the Pies when it comes but for me it's all about hunger for more than the half dozen in the group that have shown it so far. There's more than 2/3rds of the team that need to improve 10-15% minimum just to regain competitiveness and then we'll need to stretch if for a whole game beyond the first 10mins and last 10mins

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:37 am

derkd wrote:
The other thing i will add, this isn't a giant drop off in form..(think 2011 to 2012 Collingwood) where we were a 20 to 40 point better side then almost anyone else in the comp save for Geelong.

We won most games last year by what between 3 goals and a under 1 goal.

So a drop off in form of even a percent or two turns the close games this year into losses and if our opponents are a 10 to 15 percent better side then us..well there is round 0 and 1 for you.

I’d love to believe that, but the fact is that we haven’t been losing close games. I’d be far less worried if that were the case. Instead we’ve been smashed in both games and haven’t even looked competitive much of the time. So this is worse than a drop-off of a percent or two, and more a sign of serious dysfunction. I definitely think that accounts for the results we’ve seen more than any greater than expected improvement from the Giants and Swans.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:09 am

It's all in their heads. You don't lose ability in 6 months.

This is a challenge for the coaching team to get the boy's minds back in the game.
All the warm and fuzzy stuff of '23 is history, the sooner these blokes wake up and get back to business, the sooner our climb up the ladder begins.

We've played finals in 85 seasons, losing 27 Grand Finals. 16 flags is not enough.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:39 am

derkd wrote:

We won most games last year by what between 3 goals and under 1 goal.

So a drop off in form of even a percent or two turns the close games this year into losses and if our opponents are a 10 to 15 percent better side then up. Well there is round 0 and 1 for you.

Undoubtedly GWS and the Swans have improved. When coupled with the efficiency of our skill execution dropping off markedly, to that of a bottom 8 side, we're then better able to explain where we're at.
If anyone gets bored, look at the link in the Match Replay (not the highlights). When you really take the time to go through the match, pause, then replay, only then you really see how glaring the errors were.
https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/5900

Look, my view on Sydney is when you play them you always get an audit. Our intensity was missing, and the number of skill errors was damning. You would expect it'll be enough of a wakeup call for Fly and in turn the players.
While I don't expect the next few weeks will be perfect, it'll be interesting to see how the players respond when cuddly Fly is replaced with one who starts putting the salt on the tail of the playing group.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: