Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lions have hardly been setting the world on fire, in fact, they've looked worse than us. Freo destroyed them at Optus.
This is where we turn it around, Pies by 19 points.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:13 pm

Just can not getting into this game at all.
Be another rinse and repeat type of game where we start ok and into the second quarter then drop right off.
Lions will sense this and cash in with 5 unanswered goals and its good night Irene with maybe a late rally by the Pies in the last 10 minutes only to fall short again.
Same pattern just different game.
Tipping a Brisbane win by around 23 points.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:20 pm

no coleman, no brisbane.

but its still a huge ask to beat them at the gabba. If we were actually playing decent i would say yes, but we are not.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:40 pm

Well Ross Lyon reckons everyone’s figured Collingwood out and know how to beat them. Fagan was criticised after the Carlton loss for being pigheaded with the game plan and not adjusting. We’ll see what happens!
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:42 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
JDG is not impacting the game in the manner he did last year. Other teams are devoting considerable time and attention to smothering him with a tag.
I think he should build up some energy by playing forward. Then we need another mid to reinforce the midfield.
I think we could do the following:
OUT: Titch (omitted/managed) ; Markov (omitted) ; Sidey (managed)
IN: McCrae (for full game) ; Noble ; Sullivan

I agree start JDG forward
Macrae starts in the centre

❤️️
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:49 pm

After 39 matches, the W/L ledger stands at P:39 W:16 D:0 L:23
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/collingwood/allgames_tm.html#19

Since 2018, we've played 13 matches at the Gabbattoir for a 6W / 7L record.
The Brions have won 6 of the last 7, but we know which won counted in that mix.

Last time : Round: 4 Venue: Gabba Date: Thu, 6-Apr-2023 7:35 PM

Brisbane Lions 3.2.20 9.4.58 14.6.90 18.8.116
Collingwood 5.3.33 5.6.36 8.12.60 11.17.83
Qrt margin CW by 13 BL by 22 BL by 30 BL by 33
Qrt scores CW 33-20 BL 38-3 BL 32-24 BL 26-23

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2023/041920230406.html

GOALS
Brisbane: Cameron 6, Rayner 4, Hipwood 2, Daniher 2, Zorko, Wilmot, Prior, Berry
Collingwood: Mihocek 3, Hill 2, N.Daicos 2, Johnson, De Goey, Crisp, Adams

BEST
Brisbane: Rayner, Neale, Cameron, Daniher, Dunkley, Ashcroft
Collingwood: N.Daicos, Quaynor, Mihocek, Maynard, Pendlebury

INJURIES
Brisbane: Nil
Collingwood: Nil

SUBSTITUTES
Brisbane: Deven Robertson (replaced Jack Gunston in fourth quarter)
Collingwood: Oleg Markov (replaced Reef McInnes in third quarter)

Crowd: 33,565 at the Gabba

Highlights ~
Match Replay: Brisbane Lions Vs Collingwood Magpies (afl.com.au)
https://www.watchafl.com.au/match-centre/3903

Match Report ~
It was always going to be a tall order for the Magpies around the contest following injuries to recognised ruckmen Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox. Craig McRae opted for returning former Lion Dan McStay to do the bulk of the work.
Cam Rayner was surprisingly the one who provided the spark up forward to get the Lions going as he kicked 4 goals from 17 disposals to setup the win. Charlie Cameron also cashed in with 6 goals from his 14 touches, while Joe Daniher bounced back from media criticism to finish with 20 disposals, 6 marks and 2 goals. Nick Daicos was again a star, with a scintillating third quarter when thrown onto the ball, as he finished with 38 disposals and 2 goals in a lone hand for the Magpies.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/897165/brisbane-lions-roar-back-in-style-hand-collingwood-magpies-first-loss

Brownlow votes ~ C. Rayner (3), N. Daicos (2), C. Cameron (1)
AFLCA votes ~ 9 Charlie Cameron (BL), 8 Cameron Rayner (BL), 7 Nick Daicos (COLL), 2 Oscar McInerney (BL), 2 Joe Daniher (BL), 1 Brayden Maynard (COLL), 1 Conor McKenna (BL).

Magpies injury list early prognosis
tba

St, Kilda injury list early prognosis
tba

Match Preview
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_match_previews.html

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:28 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
masoncox wrote:
JDG is being hard tagged.
Fly should have sent him forward against the Saints.
In fact Fly did not try any tactical moves on the night.

He did! And Jordy continued to be illegally held with no free kicks.

If we depend on the bloody umpires to give us deserved free kicks to win, you are setting yourself up for failure 😣 If there are 50/50 situations with free kicks, the opposition will be given nearly all of them. We must endure this and still work out ways to win like we did last year. Totally ignore the maggots.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:18 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Not sure we watched the same game QM67.
Elliott was one of our best, even receiving a special mention by Fly.

Being “one of our best” in a side never in the hunt to win the game doesn’t mean much
Kicking a couple goals in a side playing so poorly doesn’t save your spot
In 2024 his pressure act stats are less than a 1/3rd of what he averaged in 2023
The ball rebounds out of our attacking 50 with way to much ease and he’s a large part of the problem
He’s spending less time on the ball as well as it appears his legs won’t allow it
I’m not saying he can’t play AFL again I’m saying he needs a wake up call like several other veterans
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:21 pm

There is ONLY So MUCH shit, crap, bile, a team can take from the meida hackes, other fans, before that team says to itself ,FUCKTHIS TIME TO PUT THINGS RIGHT. I have seen this many many times, before, and sides who hit back very hard, and I have a gut feeling we will, can cause major upsets. WE are a proud club, we have copped so much shit, now its time to hit back hard, at these Brions. Bring in kids, and Noble, freshen up the team, kids can work wonders. Lions could not beat Blues up there, were 7 goals up, we can do this.

Fuckit, the gauntlet is down, fired up we are, Woods by 9 points. !!!!!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:02 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
^

Conundrum time Piesnchess. We need to win but we won’t win by bringing in too many kids. I think the 3 obvious ones highlighted in these threads should be dropped but I will be concerned if we have more than 3 changes. Some of the kids need to bide their time until the next few weeks and if we keep on losing, they will be guaranteed games in the seniors to see how they perform.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:24 pm

Line is 50pts for mine. Lucky I’ll be towing the van north in bumper to bumper traffic and won’t have to see it!
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:47 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
There is ONLY So MUCH shit, crap, bile, a team can take from the meida hackes, other fans, before that team says to itself ,FUCKTHIS TIME TO PUT THINGS RIGHT. I have seen this many many times, before, and sides who hit back very hard, and I have a gut feeling we will, can cause major upsets. WE are a proud club, we have copped so much shit, now its time to hit back hard, at these Brions. Bring in kids, and Noble, freshen up the team, kids can work wonders. Lions could not beat Blues up there, were 7 goals up, we can do this.

Fuckit, the gauntlet is down, fired up we are, Woods by 9 points. !!!!!

You're 0 for 3. Try tipping the Lions and maybe we'll win.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:11 pm

I think it unlikely we will defeat Brisbane on their home ground with our current form.

Our game plan has been heavily compromised by teams reversing the pressure role by playing more 1:1 footy on us and strongly attacking the Collingwood player on the ball. The days of free flowing chains of hand balls through the middle by loose players maybe gone against all but the most inept teams.

Our zone defences have proved easy to bypass too when teams apply our own attacking style against us.

Going forward I think there should be more emphasis in training on one on one contests, and more on gut running to be part of that contest.

Tackling. Our tackling, apart from McCreary, has been weak all season so far. Time for hard tackling training with special emphasis on players like Naicos, whose tackling efforts so far this season have been just weak.

Much has been said about our oldsters. I think Sidebottom should be sent back to the twos to assess his form for a few weeks. Pendlebury may be useful as an impact sub going forward but his position should never be guarenteed.

Players like McInnes, McCrae, maybe Dean should be kept in the side, whether they are winning their positions or not. Reef is not going to get better and develop his huge potential sitting in the twos. Persist with him and we will be rewarded in time with a great player in the black and white. Dont do that and he will soon be punishing us in another teams colors.

Noble Im not sold on. He was originally dropped due to his inability to quell top flight small forwards. Is there any evidence at all he has been able to address that? I guess we can play him and see what happens. But I wouldnt be expecting miracles.

Ban helicopter bombs into the forward fifty. Too often they are just easy pickings for the defenders. Our players need a tutorial from Schultz on how to do it. His one long flat entry from outside 50 was a joy to behold and predictably resulted in a mark and goal to us. Take note McCreary and others that is the way to do it. I also want to see a lot more leading and creating options up forward. We look like witches hats at the moment, so static when the ball is coming in. Also At the moment the "Kick it to Mason" option works maybe one time in six. We need more work from Mihocek, Hill, and others to provide other options apart from that one somewhat hopeful option.

In terms of Brisbane, while they have been losing too, their tall forwards have been improving and we dont have the boys on the park to consistently stop them. Cameron too is due a day out and I wouldn't be surprised if he has one against us. He has put Noble to the sword a few times before and could be licking his lips if Noble is an in this week.

Fagan was in the crowd against St Kilda and looking very pleased with what he saw. I expect more one on one pressure than they served up in the Grand Final.

I think it will take more than one game to turn our form around.

I hate to say it but my prediction is Lions by 20.

Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:57 pm

I dont think this is the game we will magically turn it all around. Brisbane will also be desperate to win this...with extra motivation from last year..This could get ugly if Daniher and Hipwood get off the leash.

We did play better against St.Kilda, and if we had taken our chances who knows! Goal kicking hasn't been Collingwood's strong point for sometime now.

Anyway I read some people paraphrasing Ross Lyon's press conference post match. Lyon intimates that many teams have gone to school on what Sydney and GWS did to Collingwood, and in essence this has provided a blue print on how to blunt Collingwood's game style.

Begs a question, did we just come back to 2024 with the same game plan and think we would just pick up from where we left off? Or has our players form dropped away that badly? All of the above maybe?

Like I say, I don't think our year is done just yet. Not in a great way...but it would be interesting to be inside the four walls ...to know what the coaches are thinking. Wonder if the regret all the docco nonsense.

Last edited by derkd on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:47 pm

I was thinking about the finals game we played 12 years ago against raging favourite Port Adelaide in Port Adelaide. We were without an injured Bucks and absolutely no one in the press or anywhere else gave us a chance in hell. But somehow we found the intestinal fortitude to win! A repeat of a back to the wall victory like that would be terrific to see on Thursday. However the team and the confidence level are down and we are unlikely to reproduce an effort like that. I feel sad saying that but losing the first three games has rocked my foundations and reality that after winning the flag last year, the intense, manic hunger is no longer there 🥲 I don’t want to have unrealistic expectations of Collingwood anymore because of this. It is what it is 🙄
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: