Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Lions. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

masoncox wrote:
Culprit wrote:
Frampton has improved that 5%, he was fantastic. Those who bag Shultz simply don't understand a team game. Beau's pressure was infectious but overall it was a solid team game for 3 qtrs. 1 qtr we struggled and in saying that, we are in their heads.

That is what Daicos said about Shultz.
I still cant see it.
Maybe I will see it next time

Have a look at the sequence of play that led to Mihocek's mark on the behind line.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

Credit to Frampton. He’s either gained a yard or he’s reading the play so much better than last year. He’s impacting so many more contests in the games he’s played this year. His continued form becomes an important factor if we’re going to keep the oppositions talls under control.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:51 am

Fly's presser

There was a lot of talk during the week about the defensive intent you would bring to the game. Was that up to the level you were hoping?
Quote:
"Clearly it was a step forward wasn't it? Parts of our game were just sort of there to be seen but not consistently in the last three or four games, particularly our pressure was something we wanted to raise the bar on. Us at our best is a great pressure team and there was a damning number I think we looked at earlier in the week where I think last year we were #1 for pressure or close to it, and we're 13th [now] and it just almost stung us all. We're looking at it going 'oh, come on, that's not us'. We were trying to make a statement tonight in some ways or just put it right in front of the players face that we need to pressure the opposition better than what we were. We had many times where one person is tackling on his own and that's not us. We got to work during the week on it and then it was really pleasing for it to be seen".

What changed to get it back in your favour after Brisbane responded in the 2nd quarter?
Quote:
"They're a very good team aren't they? Lachie Neale got busy in stoppages. He's a very good player of the competition. We were under the pump. Like I said, they're a good team on their home deck. They're always going to get a roll on and that stoppage part of the game in the second quarter they just completely dominated. Credit to our backs, we were lucky to be in the game. I thought the dam wall would open at some stage and we were lucky to probably go into the break with a small margin against us because we only had 2 inside 50s. They got the game on their terms".

You drifted Nick Daicos back to half back. Can you talk us through your thinking there. You persisted with that for nine-tenths of the game?
Quote:
"Yeah we did. Part of our game that wasn't going was our defensive transition. We weren't scoring from the back half. We turned the ball over a lot in that area and Nick for 18 months was arguably one of the best players in the competition playing half back. We moved him back there to get some run, some overlap and some great ball use and the other injection was Johnny Noble. Both of those guys come in to help our ground ball and it helped [our] transition which really made a difference".

Are you pleased with John Noble after a period in the wilderness?
Quote:
"Yeah, and it's been tough for him. It's been a tough time. He's missed out in a Grand Final, he's missed out early [in the season], he's done all the work and he's comeback bigger and stronger. He's important to us, he really is. It's good to see him back doing the things that we know he's really renowned for. His fight, his run, his overlap and his first quarter in particular was really good".

Can you talk about the contribution of the senior guys who might have struggled in the first few games such as Scott Pendlebury and Darcy Moore.
Quote:
"I was really pleased with Darcy leading from the front. Like I said, around the second quarter he led from the front. Him and Howie with big spoils and halving contests. We've had a bit against us in terms of the pile on. We're a pretty proud group. I say this often, but you don't get to see our Monday to Friday; the energy and motivation in wanting to improve or not be happy with. We needed to get this thing moving and it was pleasing that our best players played well".

Can you really build on this win now and kick start your premiership defence?
Quote:
"We've got to get things started at some stage and they're [Brisbane] in the same boat as we were last week. You've just got to get started. Sometimes it's difficult to get off the mark. This is a tough competition, really tough competition. There are a lot of good teams. You can't be off your game; just in patches. We were in the same situation last week. Last week, we were sort of 'get in there, get in there, little bit is better' but then just a step back in some areas. They're [Brisbane] a proud group. I see them being really hard to beat whoever they play and tonight was important for us as well".

Did you ask Scott Pendlebury about that little slap on Lachie Neale?
Quote:
"No, I didn't see it. I'm sure the tribunal will take care of something if there is something there".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1096212/full-post-match-r3-magpies?videoId=1096212&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1711629302001

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 am

What occurred to me watching the first quarter is that this year’s best 23 is finally coming together. Frampton has lifted us massively in defence, McInnes is contributing up forward (even if a bit quiet tonight in the end), Macrae is a strong presence in the contests and Noble simply must play every week from hereon in. Elliott is getting it done up forward, and Mihocek is kicking the goals that need to be kicked. Crisp played his best game of the year in just a quarter-and-a-half of game time; De Goey, Moore and Howe were all switched on; Nick Daicos was very good; and McCreery was so often the X factor.

Where there’s still room for improvement: I thought Pendles did some nice things, but also handballed it straight to the opposition on a few occasions. Hoskin-Elliott was a bit quiet and Cox was less of a factor. So there are still a few things to get right and a few players still not quite back in form. But it’s definitely starting to come together.

Last edited by David on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

Darcy Moore. Don't spoil. Just try to take the mark. You do not have big hands that enable the decisive spoil but you do have long arms that give you an advantage in taking a mark.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Don’t know what happened in that second quarter but the second half was far better
I think subbing McRae out was wise
He looked to be exhausted in the third. I think the clubs being wise giving him time to build to full gsme status. His body is still slight really and he was manic in the first term. They put loads of work into him in the second and his body just isn’t used to it yet. But he’s worth his place in the side every week
Subbing Crisp on with his speed and being fresh he had a very good output when he come on and made a difference. That rotation worked really well for us and likely contributed to the final result.

Some highlights

Most tackles we’ve completed for the season
Highest tackle efficiency of the season
Most marks inside 50 for the season
Highest disposal efficiency by foot for the season
Highest pressure rating of the season
Most pressure acts of the season
Most intercept mark of the season
Highest corridor use of the season
Most ground ball gets
Most tackles inside our attacking 50

To me watching it live it seemed our second kick coming out of defence was aimed to go to either Nick D Noble or IQ. That gave us speed and good ball use for the next kick. We played on from that kick often which broke there line and opened our forward line up more. Then we fed the ball off inside to a Pendles or Maynard coming through. This also led to our ball movement going inside 50 being far more damaging.

Previously that kick has been going to Sidey generally and the play stalled or the ball was turned over going long down the line only.
It would be hard for the coaches to deny our ball use was much better with the presence of Noble.
The question needs to be asked
Who would you take out to give Sidey a game based on exposed form this season ?
WHE played a defensive wing role and saved 3 goals either through intercepts or spoiling
Speed is our one wood it makes us click and other facets of our game fall into place from it.
Do you bring back a slower player whose ball use is at best questionable and his tackling and pressure acts are way off the desired level ?
Experience shouldn’t be the determining factor in getting a game it should be what’s the best fit for the team game.
Personally I wouldn’t make any changes for next week at least. The 23 who played all deserve there spot next week.
For those knocking Schulz stop. His work off the ball doing little team things goes unappreciated. He blocked 2 or 3 times for Hill and Elliott which led directly to goals. He added pressure inside the attacking 50 and spent time in the middle rotating with Elliott. Our system often means players much sacrifice there own stats or games to aid the team and Schulz did this in spades.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

https://www.theroar.com.au/2024/03/28/footy-fix-the-worst-grand-final-rematch-ever-just-proves-the-pies-have-slightly-fewer-problems-than-brisbane/

I think the above is a pretty accurate reflection of the game; 4 points is 4 points, but jeez it was rough to watch the turnovers

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Some highlights

Most tackles we’ve completed for the season
Highest tackle efficiency of the season
Most marks inside 50 for the season
Highest disposal efficiency by foot for the season
Highest pressure rating of the season
Most pressure acts of the season
Most intercept mark of the season
Highest corridor use of the season
Most ground ball gets
Most tackles inside our attacking 50

That's what made it such a satisfying win. We played like a much better team than we had been. Score was 92 after the three previous of 79, 69,82.
More players involved at every contest and tackle.
Is it possible the first three weeks were actually fitness training ?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:54 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Since you ask, anyone except Pendlebury. Not that you've ever been able to grasp Sidebottom's obvious greatness.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:56 am

Maybe it was the liniment in the air wafting across the boundary, or being in a hostile environment, but that was a win for the ages that really stirred the Carringbush in me.

The Lions supporters were absolutely headless. They're not as clueless as Sydney supporters on the rules, but they're a special lot all the same.
They've seriously turned on their side, coach and players like the nuffies in our match day thread. I just read some of the comments from our own in the 2nd qtr from the usual supporters made from chocolate.

There was some real vitriol being sprayed from the stands.

That was a seriously hard game, our players smashed them in the contest.
One opposition player stood out, Lachie Neale. He's a warrior. That 2nd qtr of his was elite, one of a pure footballer. His efforts alone kept them in the game.

We had a team contribution, was great to witness. Will it be the catalyst to get our season underway? Time will tell, but it certainly breathed some life into it.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Since you ask, anyone except Pendlebury. Not that you've ever been able to grasp Sidebottom's obvious greatness.

Mate with all due respect his name should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Pendles or Swan or Buckley
There level of greatness could never be questioned
His level of output and obvious struggles this season are glaring
The team in his absence looked much better
Granted not back to our absolute best but a way more complete performance than any other game this season when he played
Coincidence ?
No it’s not
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

^ Yes, Neale is a loser for the ages.
I do occasionally wonder what the f%^& Collingwood was doing taking The Painter off their hands so they could recruit Neale, instead of telling him to paint landscapes at Kangaroo Point and throwing the salary cap at Neale.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

Who was our best?

Elliot 4 goals
Titch Tackle machine
Naicos 600m+ gained
Hipwood

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am

LaurieHolden wrote:

The Lions supporters were absolutely headless. ..

Jeez they looked feral on the telly, looked liked a Crows home game, did you see the incident with Jamie? Not sure what was said, but his reaction makes me think it was pretty unseemly

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Who would you take out to give Sidey a game based on exposed form this season ?....

Do you bring back a slower player whose ball use is at best questionable and his tackling and pressure acts are way off the desired level ?

Sorry qm67, I often agree with much of your analyses, but you seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Sidey. He has never been fast, but he is widely recognised as one of the best disposes of the ball in the competition. Did he sleep with your missus or something? Just joking mate. Seriously however, Sidey played a good first game, but certainly needed a rest after 3 games in 12 days. He's sure to be back and should replace Macrae, who was rather disappointing. I hope Macrae makes it as an AFL player, but in truth, he never seems to be able to adapt to the intensity of senior footy. I'm yet to see him play a good game, which explains why Fly has been reticent to select him. He can still make it, but he needs to lift big time.

Other than my disappointment with Finn, it was as if we re-discovered our DNA - based on manic tackling pressure. I was absolutely rapt in Frampton's game. We have found our full back. I thought he was our best defender, even out-shining Moore and Howe.

Now we have to analyse how/why we dropped off in the 2nd quarter, and maintain the intensity we applied for most of the game in every game from now on. Do that and we can string a few wins together and really get our mojo back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: