Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Lions. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nearly 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the second half again. Lachie Schultz has heavy involvement. Goals will come for him, but in the meantime he’s cat-like, hits the ground and is up again very quickly and then involved again. We had 9 goals from our small forwards, it’s a good return.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:04 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
"The second quarter was a disaster for us"

Except it wasn't. Most sides these days have a favored quarter where they put in a match grasping surge. Under Fagan, Brisbane always attempts a higher tempo surge during the second quarter. So over the second quarter Brisbane lifted their intensity all over the ground. They peppered the goals but only scored four majors for their trouble. Our defenders did a good job spoiling and preventing key marks when the ball came into their 50. We were assisted in that by Brisbane's relatively poor quality delivery into the 50. Cameron and Daniher both threatened without impacting much in the end. We made a few clangers due to their pressure and some of the turnovers we made are best forgotten. We didn't score ourselves from the two inside 50s we had but I would probably argue that we would have had more entries inside 50 for that quarter but for some silly turnovers in transition.

After half time we were able to launch our own counter attack, kick-started by McCreery's opening goal. So for me the second quarter, while a little difficult to watch was about absorbing the Brisbane pressure and holding them as best we can. I was pretty happy with the effort, as if it had been the two previous weeks, we might have folded.

That said, Brisbane fans might ask the question why can't they follow through on the intensity of quarters like that? Is the second quarter a little too early to be going for the doctor? Smile

Great analysis. I didn't think the 2nd quarter was a total shipwreck. Our defence held up heroically, just as in 2023. We could have eased the pressure more often, as you mentioned, if not for the clangers that we are still making at present, but which we didnt last year. The pressure in the 2nd quarter was still there, though I admit dropped off a little in the last couple of minutes. We resisted their pressure, and then in the third fought back. This in itself was a fantastic step up, given that our third quarters from the previous three games have been terrible. Like you, in that 2nd quarter, I saw the elements of our dour defence from last year returning.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
Neale wasn’t 100% after he came back on, let’s face it.
When he dominated, we folded = scoreless qtr, onto the bench he went & we started winning the ball.
Shit players don’t win Brownlows.
Even when Neale came back on, he wasn’t as dominant as he was due to his injury.
I haven’t been following BNE but was Neale playing in their 2 losses?

Certainly the injury might have been a significant factor in his lower impact after the second half. It might also have been due to the role of Mitchell, who followed him like a shadow after half time.
I congratulate the selectors for sticking with Titch. I for one thought that after his performance against St Kilda, he should be dropped. But our selectors showed that it was not merely loyalty that saw them stick with Titch, but their accurate knowledge that he was the only player we have who could go with Neale. I will endeavour to remember this next time I feel that the selectors are making mistakes!!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
We need to keep getting games into McCrae and McInnes. Both of them will develop at a far quicker rate in the senior team than ever they would in the seconds. Both have seem to have a lot more potential to develop, particularly McInnes. I also want to see Allan and Sullivan. Sullivan is a mature player and I'm interested to see what he brings to the table.

For these guys to get a game, some of our old fellas need to make way gracefully. I think the move to drop Sidebottom was a good one. I think he should now be heading into a depth player role. Bringing him back early in the same role will only see more of the same recent form. Rest him for a few weeks to make him really hungry and lets see what the other kids bring to the table. I liked the idea of Crisp as an impact sub. Last night we got the best of both worlds: McCrae's youthful enthusiasm in the first half and Crisp's run and game sense in the second.

Agreed on all counts!

Not sure we'll see Crisp as sub again as he'll probably be seen to have earned a place back in the starting 22. But it does seem to have worked perfectly for us, so maybe worth trying again next week.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:30 am

^The mistake with Sidey was going too early with him. You want him for half a dozen games when it matters.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:38 am

I just want to add how great it was to see Jamie do his stuff. There's something about him that means a lot to me. Partly, it's because he's one of the few (then) young players for which my late father had high hopes. Partly, it's because you know he had a tough start in life, then a tough run of injuries, and yet has pushed through and has this ability to take responsibility, lift and turn games when it matters.

Just love the lad, now a man whom we've seen mature, win a premiership, and represent the heart and soul of the team.

It's funny how a kid you don't know can really affect you, and impress you so deeply. Yet, I couldn't be prouder of the lad for what he's achieved and the impact he's had on our club.

Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:03 am

pietillidie wrote:
^

Nice post. I feel the same about him. It is the quiet, serious way he goes about it, as though he feels the responsibility of it all, given his trials to get there. Plus, of course, his icy talent when the clutch goal arrives. The way he took the responsibility and finished against Essendon and then Carlton in 2022 - those were the exclamation marks on our rise in 22 toward 23 glory.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:11 am

I watched Jamie in his first practice match against the Saints.. He was placed 60 metres out in no man's land, waiting for the quick kicks out of opposition defence. Poor kid manning a 20*30 patch of dirt for an hour watching footy.

I watched him closely in his first game at the MCG. He had an elite ability to own the forward line.

These days Bobby Hill comes to mind … non-stop elite work rate and nous to try and create a constant advantage against his opponent.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:43 am

Good post ptid. 'Billy' is an inspiration. I honestly can't understand why some Nicksters were calling for him to be dropped. He is all class, and a genuine match-winner.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:03 am

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
I watched Jamie in his first practice match against the Saints.. He was placed 60 metres out in no man's land, waiting for the quick kicks out of opposition defence. Poor kid manning a 20*30 patch of dirt for an hour watching footy.

I watched him closely in his first game at the MCG. He had an elite ability to own the forward line.

These days Bobby Hill comes to mind … non-stop elite work rate and nous to try and create a constant advantage against his opponent.

That 2nd season when he was sporting the #19. Regular head surfing, kicking goals. Was exciting stuff.
Of particular note was the match against Carlton when we poured on 7 last quarter goals to over-run them. He kicked a bag of 5 and marked everything. Picked up 3 Brownlow votes to go with it.
In 2015 when he swapped to Buck's #5 I bought the commemorative ANZAC day guernsey (my first since Sal the Naughton's barmaid never returned my Yakka training guernsey). I was sure he was going to win the Medal. While Pendles took it out and we won, those injuries cruelled his chances of winning what I expected would have been multiple medals over his career. So pleased he got his Premiership medallion.
But I digress, echoing your comments, on Thursday he showed what a champion he is.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:17 am

I agree with all the above. Jamie is a true champion. His incredible courage and dour refusal to give in lifts the side. AFter he kicks the goal, he celebrates for a moment, but then gets straight back into reflecting what his next task should be. He is a leader by example, on the field. He gets over immediately to encourge a team mate who has made a mistake, and to celebrate another's fine achievement. He is a gem.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:29 am

pietillidie wrote:
I just want to add how great it was to see Jamie do his stuff.

Baaaaaaaalllll, yeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!! Is there a better feeling yelling that out when the match cauldron is boiling and moments like these swing the momentum. (nod to Daisy on Cyril)
I knew we had them then.

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/5916#match-report

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:46 am

And how about when Cletus Daniher at 10.54 mark in the 3rd (1.18 on the match clock) deciding not to go for goal, on his preferred left, 50m out when the match was in the balance, and tries to stick a pass into congestion.
John 'the inspiration' Noble tackles Berry (fast fwd the bit where he kicks it oob's...)

But the mojo was back from the stoppage at the 12.20 mark in the 3rd (1.16 on the match clock). Have a go at the manic pressure to cause the turnover. While the passage ultimately ended up back with Cletus, it was a stirring part of the match.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1096252/match-replay-brisbane-v-collingwood?videoId=1096252&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1711668600001

The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:56 am

LaurieHolden wrote:
Of particular note was the match against Carlton when we poured on 7 last quarter goals to over-run them. He kicked a bag of 5 and marked everything. Picked up 3 Brownlow votes to go with it.

I went straight to this memory too. Was sitting in the GSS at that end between the square and the 50m arc. What a great spot to watch Jamie Elliot leading and kicking those goals.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Sorry qm67, I often agree with much of your analyses, but you seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Sidey.

Rude always respect your view point
But I don’t have a blind spot for Sidey I just don’t rate him anywhere as highly as others
I’ve been amazed for years how he can skate by with limited criticism
He can have 5 clangers 5 turnovers and 5 fumbles and a goal and all people, talk about is the goal
He’s been like a protected species for many
I’ve felt for some time his basic skill level has dropped off as well. It’s very fleeting now you can highlight something he does in the positive
Last game for a example he was in the defensive 50 had the opportunity to mark a ball uncontested instead punched it straight to a saints player for a goal
The comments made on here where like why didn’t a back come in and mark that? Umm well they were manning up on their opponents hence why he was clear to mark it uncontested.
It was a rookie error, but he’s played over 300 games and still made it.
Anyways we can agree to disagree on this and wait until the teams named next week against the hawks.

On McRae I think people didn’t see the work Dunkley and McCluggage put into him off the ball. His body isn’t used to this sort of pressure, but he was strong at the contest.
I think he’s worth his spot still until a better option appears.
Also, his presence in the middle allowed us to use Nick D off the half back line and it helped our overall game loads so it in my mind served its purpose.
Maybe Sullivan gets a chance.
But it’s obvious Mitchell can’t be the main banana all game now his legs are shoot. So, we need younger guys coming in and doing the grunt work as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10   

Jump to: