Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies dump Lions. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Always good to exchange views with you qm67. One thing I think we can agree on, is that this will most surely be Sidey's last season. However, atm, I still consider he offers our team more than someone like Macrae, whom I had hoped would have cemented a senior berth by now, but I'm beginning to doubt he ever will. Only time will tell, but I'll be amazed if Sidey isn't back in our side (even as a sub) next week.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:50 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
On McRae I think people didn’t see the work Dunkley and McCluggage put into him off the ball. His body isn’t used to this sort of pressure, but he was strong at the contest I think he’s worth his spot still until a better option appears

I did notice that on the night, they really did work him over. I think that's where he might struggle as his contested possession number fall as the season goes on. FWIW I thought he was gone at the end of 2022 after he battled through 2021. While he's spent a large chunk of his career as an A grader, the reality is the continuity of that standard has waned.
Sidey's moment in the GF was one for the ages. I guess that's what makes their great games exactly that, they have that reserve to dig into that doesn't have a statistic for.

I expect the trajectory of Sidey's contested possession and meters gained will ultimately decide his fate on how far into 2024 he pushes. His matches (amongst others) against the Swans and St. Kilda were a concern. His endurance for a player that spends approx. 85% of TOG has been elite over his career. If he starts to slip towards the low 300m's or under, that's when I think he or Leppitsch will call time.
https://www.wheeloratings.com/afl_player_profile.html?ID=22ce05

In the past you might have been able to stick him in a forward pocket, but those days are long gone, particularly with the defensive rebounds are a staple part of the game. There's no resting.
But as it always is, who steps up to push him out? Josh Daicos is one, but we need another of him in the Sidey mold. It won't be Macrae, Sullivan is perhaps the closest like for like who's ready to go, albeit undersized. Ideally DeMattia steps up to fill the void.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete 70 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:04 pm

Watching the last quarter again. Go figure. A few observations:

1 I rate Hipwood, and would love him up forward, and he had 3 disposals up to the last. Made me think I’d love a ton of first round draft picks but system and work effort will beat that any day.
2 So proud of the effort and work rate. I feel like we are getting our sense of belief back.
3 If you want a reminder of N Daicos’ brilliance watch the next 30 seconds after Brisbane kick their first goal in the last. Unstoppable. I’d play him half back line for the next few months.
4 I wouldn’t give up on Ash (I’d wrap my arms around him) or Reef or Fin. I’d highlight Johnny Noble and to a lesser extent Billy F (who would have felt embarrassment about some of the stuff heaped on him post GF and has responded beautifully).
5 McCreery is about to get off the chain. Be very excited.
6 Early call, I know but no changes for me for next week.

Have a good Easter all.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:55 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I just want to add how great it was to see Jamie do his stuff. There's something about him that means a lot to me. Partly, it's because he's one of the few (then) young players for which my late father had high hopes. Partly, it's because you know he had a tough start in life, then a tough run of injuries, and yet has pushed through and has this ability to take responsibility, lift and turn games when it matters.

Just love the lad, now a man whom we've seen mature, win a premiership, and represent the heart and soul of the team.

It's funny how a kid you don't know can really affect you, and impress you so deeply. Yet, I couldn't be prouder of the lad for what he's achieved and the impact he's had on our club.

I agree. He is often inspiring to watch. Elliot has the ability to get shit done when it really matters. I had nothing but admiration for his efforts in the three games we lost. He gave 100% and was one of the few players who could hold their heads high after those losses. He is also good at organizing the forward line too, advising and directing the other forwards. Jamie is going to leave a huge gap when he retires.

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:59 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
And how about when Cletus Daniher at 10.54

"Cletus". Very Happy Very Happy I've been trying to think of a word that describes Daniher and that just fits like a glove. Very Happy Very Happy

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:47 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
^

I don't understand your timestamp at all. What is 10.54 mark / 1.18 on the clokc?

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:22 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Always good to exchange views with you qm67. One thing I think we can agree on, is that this will most surely be Sidey's last season. However, atm, I still consider he offers our team more than someone like Macrae, whom I had hoped would have cemented a senior berth by now, but I'm beginning to doubt he ever will. Only time will tell, but I'll be amazed if Sidey isn't back in our side (even as a sub) next week.

I would give McRae a little more time
Just watching him live thr other night the body work out into him was something he didn’t handle well
Maybe he isn’t up to it but I think he’s a good second banana at the moment instead of putting Nick D on the bottom of the pack or asking Pendles to do it.
Maybe Sullivan is better suited to that in and under game time will tell on both
Sidey might be bette off as a sub and just ask him to play 40/50 minutes at the best pace he can muster instead of having to pace himself
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:47 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
... One thing I think we can agree on, is that this will most surely be Sidey's last season. However, atm, I still consider he offers our team more than someone like Macrae,... Only time will tell, but I'll be amazed if Sidey isn't back in our side (even as a sub) next week.

I'm another one who thinks Sidey is just about done. All three of his games have been littered with clangers, lost contests, poor tackling and inaccurate disposal. It looks to me like his reaction time and speed has slowed just enough for it to affect his game. Worse still is that GWS, Sydney, and St Kilda all worked out his vulnerability and were at times playing through the man playing on him. And they wont be the only ones either. Maybe its his fitness, or some other factor but at the moment he is a definite weak link in the chain. I dont think he should be brought back just because he was an outstanding player at his peak, because now we will just see more of the same, particularly against the top flight teams in the competition. i would use him as either a sub or depth player unless he can consistently prove his form. I agree this is probably his last year but we need to get games into the younger players now - not after he retires. Young players who come into a strong confident combination usually do better than those who come into teams who have lost personnel and struggling and/or adjusting to multiple player changes. We can choose to be like Sydney who introduce new players sooner rather than later, or Geelong who chose to play the veterans and paid the price. I have loved Sidey over the years and loved his lift for the Grand Final but now it looks his time is coming. Now is the time to give the younger players a go.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
^

See if Steele recaptures some form with a rest. Maybe another week or then the bye works be beneficial for assessing if he still adds value to the team? I think

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:50 pm

It’s the age old dilemma for veterans/legends of your club. They have a say in when/how they depart vs what’s best for the club and its future.
Do you want a serviceable player in his twilight years vs a young gun who might be putting out equal value on the field but more importantly gaining valuable experience.

Sidey is a legend; dual premiership player but I reckon he shoulda hung em up at with his last game being a premiership.
I don’t want him keeping a young gun out, who might be a big player for us in the future, or worse still, goes elsewhere thru lack of opportunity.

I hope that Fly and Co. take the emotion out of it and make the best decision for season 2024. We are in the premiere window and we need to do what’s best for the next few years.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:08 pm

Damien wrote:
It’s the age old dilemma for veterans/legends of your club. They have a say in when/how they depart vs what’s best for the club and its future.
Do you want a serviceable player in his twilight years vs a young gun who might be putting out equal value on the field but more importantly gaining valuable experience.

I’m sorry but there is far more to this issue than something so simple. One also can’t generalise about players with different roles and abilities. Being ageist is not the answer. For example I can’t see why Pendles can’t play on next year. Like everyone else, he will have the occasional bad game but his value to the team is his experience and the tactical strategies honed over many years. The GF last quarter was a perfect example of this aspect that was crucial to the win. So in this case, give me a player in his twilight years ahead of a young gun who can always watch, listen and learn from Pendles and put his learned lessons into practice in the seconds rather than replace an ageing veteran who the club decided can still add a lot to the team.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:31 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
^

I agree and the mindset around veterans has shifted in the AFL. Expanded comp has allowed more veterans to continue. As for the young gun, if they are good they will be putting their hand up in the VFL as Billy Elliott did all those years ago.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:28 pm

dalyc wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:

Shit players don’t win Brownlows.

Hardie, Cooney, Wynd, Woewodin?
Maybe not shit but not anywhere near elite in my book.

I said Brownlow(S) as in he won 2.

Not 1 like those cucks you’ve written above 🤦🏻‍♀️

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:07 am

Newelly wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:
^

See if Steele recaptures some form with a rest. Maybe another week or then the bye works be beneficial for assessing if he still adds value to the team? I think

Sadly, I think he probably only has another 100 or 150 games to go at the top level.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:58 am

Donny wrote:
Watching another replay.
Noblet to Bobby, for our 5th. first quarter goal, was all class.

Yes, we were screaming at the telly!
As for other comments, I don’t think we won because Neale went down, I think we played extremely aggressively 1st quarter, got a nasty shock in the second and finely found the clutch after half time!
Neale might have2 Brownlow's, but I don’t think many thought he should have won last year, and if Nick wasn’t taken out by the dawks, it would be around his neck.

The Brownlow is a bullshit measure of best player anyway, how many defenders have won it? It’s a midfield / full forward award! The umpires can’t see an out of bounds shot anymore, and somehow, they are ditto judge who played well?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: