Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pump Port. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly's presser

In the first quarter it looked like 'where this is spark going to come from?' and it emerged and it was great wasn't it?
Quote:
"Yeah, you come to the MCG and every week you're playing an opposition of quality and the competition is very even. We allowed them [Port Adelaide] to get their game going. I thought their pressure was enormous, it was over 2 [200] for all of the first quarter which is a huge number. A number we probably haven't faced this year. They've got a lot of strengths forward of the ball, kick really well and put us under scoreboard pressure. I was pleased we held our nerve; just got a couple of goals late in that first quarter to give us a little bit of a spark. It's a tough competition isn't it?"

Will Hoskin-Elliott and Patrick Lipinski were critical to that turnaround?
Quote:
"I'm glad you mentioned those because I was going to draw attention to them anyway. I thought Jordy [De Goey] was amazing, absolutely amazing. His pressure and contest around the ball. Everyone sees those things; Nick Daicos and these guys are just our stars, but not much recognition goes to our role players. Will [Hoskin-Elliott], I call him the 'Swiss army knife', so I've put that out to the world now because he can play everywhere. He's done a lot of jobs for us over a long period of time. We wanted him to go forward today and play a bit taller. It was pleasing that he takes his marks. He's a brilliant mark so it was nice to see our role players shine and it doesn't always look like that because they're so reliable in ways people don't see so it was nice for him to shine. Patty [Lipinski] to kick 4 goals, he runs enormous patterns for us and really pleased for both of those players in particular".

Darcy Cameron was significant as well?
Quote:
"He's in good form Darcy isn't he? He's been really important to us. He's one you think right from the start of the season he's hit the ground running. He's been significant for us and against Soldo who's been the #1 hitout to advantage player in the competition leading into this game and they brought in another big guy to really challenge us in that area, so Darcy has been critical for us".

What do you think changed? Was it Quarter Time or could you sense something shifting late in the first quarter?
Quote:
"There's little things. Referring pressure was something we were doing early and then we started to take a bit more territory by hand and foot. I think our forwards were starved of opportunity a bit early [on], but they looked dangerous. I think we scored nearly every second time we went inside 50 early, so we just needed to get more volume there, so our mids got busy. We've got a pretty simple formula really, let's get the ball going and turn up and have fun doing it. There was some energy built through that. You could see it just coming. This group has done it for a while now knows when it's starting to get our game going. I think we looked way more connected today than what we have in previous weeks".

How did you spend the bye period? What did you work and focus on?
Quote:
"We had a real energy in focus on taking a deep breath and we actually gave them [the players] a bit more time off than we normally do. I heard Ross Lyon speak about it post-game that this game is so difficult and every week is a challenge and he spoke about his back-to-back 5 day breaks. I'm not sure if much gets mentioned around those things, but there is a cost to that. It's training and coming in a bit underdone versus the opposition potentially energy wise. We're not here to make excuses for it, but right now to have a couple of extra days to get mind and body ready, we felt that on Monday when they bounced into it work and got to train and said "okay, there's a bounce in their step' which then we can start to train a bit more and express ourselves more in that regard. It's still a work in progress".

How much are you looking forward to the Anzac Day match?
Quote:
"I've always tried to stay here in the last couple of years, stay here and appreciate what we just did and to take the deep win with us. We're not going to lose sight of 5 days time. It's a significant day on the calendar for Australians, and we'd like to think that we can play a little part to honour those who served us".

Back to Will Hoskin-Elliott, that mark late in the first quarter seem to come at a really important time for you guys.
Quote:
"Yeah, and we're looking for players to step up in moments. Have your moment and do your thing. Whether it's a great tackle from Bruzzy, or Nick getting the ball and taking on a few guys. Just play to your strengths. Every club is trying to do that. The challenge is to do it when you're up against it and for someone to be that guy. I think we played a bit more in the moment today than we have previously, so it's something we can build on".

Did you have a sense of occasion with Scott Pendlebury being 5 short of reaching 10,000 disposals?
Quote:
"I did know he was leading in, but that's not the reason [he was subbed off]. We sort of went into the game thinking if the game presented it that we could look after some of our players, and Pendles was high on the list, so no I didn't have a sense of occasion but next week should be fun".

With regard to your on-field leaders, do you give them licence to try and talk to the other players who need a lift?
Quote:
"Yeah that's an integral part of our make up and how we connect on the field and who leads and it's not a one person thing. We wanted to shine a spotlight on it today and how we connect. We took a step forward. It's not a one person thing. Our leadership is 23, or 22 on the field at one time or 18 plus the others so I think you get it. It's not a one person thing".

The selflessness of Bobby Hill stood out. No doubt this will get highlighted during the week in team review?
Quote:
"I know players talked about it post-game in how important that is for energy because it's 'our' goal. Individuals kick goals, but they're ours so when we share it around it's another level of us and ours. We'll make sure to highlight that again during the week, but that was a massive part of energy of our group today when others celebrated others success. It wasn't about 'me', it was about 'us'. Huge".

He's had a slow start to the year, but that sort of stuff seem to give Lachie Schultz a big lift in his energy and getting involved in the game?
Quote:
"Yeah, I think you come here today and I thought there's so many teams around the same mark at the moment. I put on the board before the game 'style points' with a question mark. I think the broader footy world are trying to critique about 'you could be winning by more, you should be doing this better, you're not quite doing this or you're AFL #17 in this', but really it doesn't matter. We're in the process of qualifying. There's only 4 points on offer today. Not style points. We just had to get the job done and I don't care what it looks like from here on out or to wherever. We're just in the process of trying to get to 14 wins because that's the number we think we'll make the finals. That's all that matters right now".

After Quarter Time, you were +43 for contested ball. That's a huge number, so I'm assuming that's something you're hoping you can take into the Essendon match on Thursday?
Quote:
"It was a massive focus for this game because if you don't get that right against Port they'll get the game on their terms. We talked about it all week, trained it and tried to get that balance right around what that looked like. Every game is different. Some teams are really good at clearances so you got to get that part of your game right or there's other teams with the aerial threats on what that looks like. Everything is different, but that contest was critical against Port and [I'm] really pleased with the staff in Scott Selwood and Hayden Skipworth and those guys are doing behind the scenes to put that into practice, and we get rewarded because of their hard work".

Did you have any injuries today?
Quote:
"No, we're reasonably healthy. It's a good thing to have the moment with a 5-day break. We kept a couple away from the VFL just in case. We're in healthy shape today. Shout out to Steele Sidebottom who is 2nd all time [of Collingwood games played] Collingwood player in the history of our football club since 1892. What an amazing achievement, so we celebrate that. And Chelsea Roffey who is a goal umpire. 300th game today and I know Chelsea from way back so congratulations to Chelsea. Huge achievement, 300 games. Well done".

Jack Crisp seems to never miss a game. He's played 220 consecutive games.
Quote:
"He hasn't missed any. He hasn't missed many training sessions. Huge resilience".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1112098/full-post-match-r6-magpies?videoId=1112098&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1713597760001

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:59 am

I never comment directly after a game I always like to rewatch games and knowing the result look closer at why it went either way
Here’s my view for today
Q1 we were in the back foot from the get go. Our pressure around the ball was good but every fumble spilled there way. They just had cleaner hands and better kicking skills early days. Early goals gives you momentum we didn’t have those. Sidey missed a goal which most days you would think he would kick but the ball then went zooming down to the end for a goal. Big momentum shift. We just couldn’t seem to the ball moving the way we needed to. Fast forward to about 9 minutes to go in term 1. Little tweaks happened. Firstly Pendles re entered the game after a chat wit the coach. Lipinski was moved onto Sidey’s wing, played WHE deeper, shifted Pendles to HBF (which allowed him to see the game in front of himself and make some on field adjustments as he saw fit) sent McCreery onto the ball and put Cox in the goal square. It made port have to adjust in the run and they didn’t.we kicked a couple goals which just gave us a sniff and we went into the break. (Pressure for the team Q1 was 198)
Q2 we came out on fire. Our pressure for the term averaged 223 (elite) it hit 268 at one stage (nearly unheard of) and remained above 240 for a 10 minute block. Porte pressure was over 200 but watching the game it didn’t feel like it.
Our kicking skills came good. Our ball movement was far slicker. We stuck more tackles, we looked connected on every line as a team.
Q3 and Q4 basically followed the same mindset as Q2 (some little areas changed) but we never looked threatened

It was really a example of when we get it on our terms we are still very hard to beset.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:06 am

Football basics were on show. One-on-one, pressure on the ball carrier. The pressure we brought to this game is what wins games. WHE is back to his form from a few years ago. Cox was doing some great groundwork for a tall player. The big plus is we can improve on that game. Overall that was a solid team performance with a few guys standing up when it mattered.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:01 am

Thanks Jezza, much appreciated.

What a first game to see live since the GF! Brilliant!

On Bobby sharing, all well andgood, love to see it, but gees the last one, just kick it please! Don’t risk it!

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:16 am

Is Mitchell just about the best tackler in the league - he seems to make every tackle stick.

A couple of times he seemed like he was way behind his opponent but still managed to launch into a tackle that stuck.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:31 am

^ Yes, I had him in my votes for his work at the coalface. I actually think the football he's playing with us is way more constructive than the 50-possession games he used to play for Hawthorn because he's doing what he's good at but leaving the good users of the ball to use it.
Nearly 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:55 am

shawthing wrote:
Nearly wrote:
I have never once gone to the game day thread. I imagine today would,have been a shocker.

So how do you know then? Rolling Eyes It gives people a chance to vent in real time. That can't be a bad thing.

I don’t know. That’s why I said I imagine. 😉
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:18 am

Even though we were down by 29 points, it seemed to me Ports positioning was vulnerable, if we shake off the cobwebs, we could score easily enough. And we did.

Bottom line, a good day at the footy, finishing with a satisfying win.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:25 am

Very Happy I'm still laughing about it. When Bobby abruptly darted left and almost kicked goal of the year. The commentator mentioned that his shadow kept going right!

Last edited by Mossi on Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:40 am

Might be a good time to announce DeGoey is simply our barometer to date.
While he didn’t use the ball overly well yesterday, what he did do repeatedly was win it first and negate a quality opposition midfield. He gains us so much territory, so even those less than perfect kicks still buy us time to reset around the ground. When he plays four quarters of “ DeGoey alpha footy “ it’s not often we lose.
He looks fit and he really looks engaged and there are few who can do what he does when he’s on. The challenge for him is to do it for four quarters because anything less and it generally coincides with the oppositions mid field getting back into the game.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:42 pm

I thought we got things on our terms just before quarter time
Port looked like they showed their hand already and was only any minute the pies would take right over from them
Must say second and final quarter we played premiership football
Was a good day at the mcg
I knew we could chip back and back then the flood gates opened
I think if we play on our terms and have footy in our hands we cannot be beaten
Onwards to Essendon Anzac Day
Early tip if you call it early a Collingwood win and by 21 points
Yesterday at times looked like a training drill
Essendon will come hard early we weather it and come out on top
But well done for yesterday
Yes the pies are back
The Black and White Lion 

The Black and White Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:55 pm

[quote="qldmagpie67"]
Extraordinary game. Great insights qldmapie67. Didn’t notice these kind of moves in the first 3 weeks. So happy we made them and they came off. You could see the momentum shift late first quarter and then again half way through the second. WHE took those species and then you could just feel the pressure.
Your stats on pressure rating in the second quarter #268 are insane. Where do you get those stats?

Alex 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:04 pm

Haff wrote:
Why sub Pendles? Guess we celebrate on Anzac Day.
Brilliant for 3.2 qtrs. Not sure what happened in that first? All them putting in an unsustainable amount of effort which we absorbed?
I hate the hold the game mentality. Is ok with 5 minutes left but a whole qtr? Should have buried the knife and twisted. Cant argue with the result I guess.
Good win. Happy.
WHE take a bow.

36 year old with a 5 day break...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:49 pm

[quote="The Black and White Lion"]
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Extraordinary game. Great insights qldmapie67. Didn’t notice these kind of moves in the first 3 weeks. So happy we made them and they came off. You could see the momentum shift late first quarter and then again half way through the second. WHE took those species and then you could just feel the pressure.
Your stats on pressure rating in the second quarter #268 are insane. Where do you get those stats?

Without speaking on behalf of Qldpie, pressure ratings are now the next big thing in footy statistics and it’s something that all footy statisticians should be across. Even Fly mentioned them in his presser yesterday. It’s a complex formula that’s used to measure a teams efforts at making life difficult for the opposition. There’s currently around ten different pressure applications doing the rounds, including by individual and at team level. Champion data in particular, can then break that down into pressure that’s implied vs physical via some mysterious 11 secret herbs and spices recipe.
The pressure rating we see on Foxtels footy coverage is the teams overall number relating to the impact ( or not ) of the player “ swarm “ at all contests and for a specific period during the game.
Anything above 200 rating is considered elite. Collingwood now have the two highest pressure ratings recorded this year. Note these ratings are done within defined periods of the game. They are not a rating for the entire game ( although that could easily be averaged out )
Generally a club will go between 150 odd and 200 over the course of a game but the challenge is to sustain those high numbers for extended periods.
In a way, despite all the tactics and strategies, the game has never been simpler. The club who applies the highest amount of pressure longest, nearly always wins the game. It’s also the reason why you don’t necessarily need the quickest or the biggest mid field to win games of footy. Most of the time youre really striving to produce the hardest working combination in order to get the job done.
Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.5...Jamie Elliott....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:57 pm

The moment when the game changed?

13 minutes to go in the second quarter. WHE took a screamer in the goal square after a setup kick from Jaicos who took the free from an out-of-bounds on the full.

WHE Screamer @ 44:40 https://www.afl.com.au/video/1112259

❤️️

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: