Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, the difference between competing against top four teams in the AFL and bottom four teams in the VFL is incomprehensible.
Any selection changes MUST start with our VFL players being seen as above VFL level before they can be considered as replacements for any of our reigning premiership players. You can choose to send a message to senior players and drop them but how does that look when the replacement does even less and he in-turn is then dropped back to the VFL a week later.

They may pick MacRae ( who at least wins his position at VFL level every week ) or they may not but outside of adding MacRae and keeping Harrison, there is little chance of anyone in the VFL team holding their own against the top shelf in the AFL.
While I agree there is no better incentive to perform than the fear of being dropped, you still need to make these decisions for the betterment of the entire team. It is of no value to any team to penalise a proven player, only to have his replacement do even less.
Beveridge seems to be doing that at the Dogs and how is that working out for him. Do you think their supporters would rather be winning or seeing all their new draftees selected ?
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:42 pm

Blues have improved, no denying that, but really, who have they beaten ?? The Lions should have smashed them, but literally coughed it up, choked. The Tigers should have beaten them, they lost to the crows, and belted Nth Melb, like , who doesnt belt Nth now ?? We have yet to play Nth. The Cats did them pretty well, should have won by more. So, where is this fear of the Blue vermin, I dont get it. ?? We will throw everything at these bastards, and if we bring our A game, not give them a good start, - as we have last two weeks- im reasonably confident we can take them, in a close match.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm

^ Curnow always kicks a bag against us. As you say thay have improved...has Collingwood? Last year we just scraped by them playing very good football.

That is why I am worried about this game.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
"There must be changes - out Sidebottom" - you're so transparent. Laughing

Yes exactly
Let’s be honest his game last weekend was putird
I honestly struggle to believe you find anyone calling for him to be dropped this week anything other than logical
If you go read other posters including rude boy and dozens more they’ve called the same as me Sidey out
If you seriously believe having 3 or 4 touches across 3 quarters is acceptable then your biased towards Sidey is proven (don’t worry about a couple cheap ones he got late because like most of his day they mattered little)
In your mind he could play a game not touch it and you would justify it some how
Honestly if we had options I personally wouldn’t play 4 from last weekend but we know fly doesn’t work like that
And I know you’ll trot out what fly said in his presser and I addressed that in the post match comments if you wish to read that.
Whether he plays or he doesn’t isn’t my choice it’s just my opinion like many others
But your welcome to continue taking the potshots at me I’ll still call it how I see it and I’ll call out your biased representation of his performance
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:42 pm

^ He plainly shouldn't have played against Essendon. I said that elsewhere. It's the predictability of your comment I was referring to - you've been calling the end of his career since about 18 December 2008. Laughing
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:45 pm

Realistically, we start four goals behind Carlton this week.

(given that Curnow will get three 'gift' frees for goals and Carlton will receive a dubious 50 metre penalty leading to a goal).

In: Macrae. Out: Schultz
we need an inside mid more than we need Schultz- to be fair, McCreery needs to lift but if Hill and Elliott cannot do the damage as small forwards with at least one goal from McCreery, then we probably loses anyway.

In: Markov. Out Noble
there will be howls from the legions of Noble fans but seeing Alwyn Davey Jr outbody Noble on ANZAC Day made we ponder what one of the stronger Blues little forwards may do to him.

In: Harrison. Out Sidebottom (sub)
I would alternate McCreery and Harrison between wing and half forward as their pace will expose Carlton on the outside. McCreery would certainly make life uncomfortable for the likes of Blake Acres with his vigorous tackling.

The retention of Sidebottom is not due to any sentimentality for the Magpie veteran. Quite simply, in what will be a white-hot match, having a guy come on at three quarter time who is immensely experienced in big game moments is gold. He stays in for mine.

Match-ups and positional changes:

Cripps vs Pendles is a given for mine- what Pendles gives away in age, he more than compensates with guile and positioning at contests.
Curnow vs Maynard- allows Moore to take the third tall and impact marking contests. Maynard will not need to be invited to impact on Curnow in every contest.
McKay vs Frampton. Billy is possibly our best performed defender in 2024. He will relish the challenge of taking on McKay in a telling contest.
Weitering vs Mihocek. Brody has, perhaps, the toughest match up of all. Weitering is an outstanding player but Mihocek is working into the season very nicely. For Mihocek to 'break-even' with Weitering (which would be a massive win for the Magpies two things must happen: 1) he must lead fast, hard and often and 2) our players up the field must honour his leads.
Using our big men prudently:

Cameron has better form line than Pittonet and will need it given Carlton's clearance work whilst Cox has been below his best (with the exception of the Port Adelaide romp). I would rest our big guys on the bench and only sparingly forward. This allows us to keep quicker ground level guys on the field.
De Goey and Nick Daicos

I agree that Stringer had the better of De Goey on ANZAC Day. Now is the time for Jordan to shine against the Blues. When not on the ball, I would rest De Goey forward and have him lead hard in an opposite direction to Mihocek.
The speed of De Goey, Harrison, Hill and McCreery should trouble the Carlton defence who are not endowed with elite pace.

Nick Daicos should populate the half back to half forward section of the MCG Friday night. He is such an elite user, he will cause headaches for the Blues. He would certainly be a designated person to kick out from full back after behinds are scored.

Macrae and Mitchell:

Mitchell is a proud footballer and he deserves a solid crack in the middle. However, he is not at the stage of his football life where he can do it for 120 minutes. he should rotate, off the bench with Macrae with splits of 10, 10, 5 and 5 minutes each quarter. Neither is a noted goal kicker when they play forward. Rotations will allow both men to have something in the tank for the last quarter.

Selection smokies....
Carmichael- is a goal kicking mid (when rested forward) and will feature at senior level again soon.
Jath- is developing at a great speed already. Only his slight physique will hold him back- although being trialled at half back in the VFL, would make an interesting choice as a wingman.
Allen- was impressive in yesterday's defeat of the VFL team. He has speed that would be accentuated on the bigger grounds, is a good kick and has elite talent for hand balling long distances accurately
Johnson- played very well as a marking defender yesterday. Seemed to really enjoy just being able to back himself to hit the ball aerially without a defender on his heels. Perhaps being groomed to take over from Jeremy Howe??
Dean- solid, reliable and can do a job if needed.

I hate Carlton- I expect the Pies to go in as underdogs but claw our way to a win and go to 4 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw. If that happens- we will have a few of the current top eight become very anxious about playing us.

Floreat Pica.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:17 pm

We don’t get VFL matches up here in gods country but I read with interest that Johnson played (or at least started) in the backline
I see he had 20 touches but obviously moved forward as he kicked a couple goals but now did he play in defence ?
Is he an option to come in as a swing player in defence ?
His leap is huge as we’ve witnessed and Carlton will test us with 3 talls at times during the game.
Conversely we could test there defence with Johnson Cox Checkers all forward as well
It would be hard for figure a like for like replacement other than WHE who was very quiet last week but against port was fantastic
Also I noted Lad said Allan was good again yesterday. Is he playing on a wing or as a mid ?
We need to really bolster our inside mids Mitchell isn’t reliable as he once was but McRae isn’t quite ready to be his full time replacement either so it will have to be a rotation
On a side note I’m watching suns v west coast and if we can some now get Rowell I would cry tears of joy. He’s a absolute beast
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 pm

^ Here's the full replay if you'd like to watch it: https://www.afl.com.au/video/1117497/vfl-match-replay-r5-collingwood-v-essendon?videoId=1117497&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1714190848001&references=AFL_MATCH:6344&references=AFL_MATCH:6344
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:53 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Shagging is fine up until Wednesday night.
Go Pies!!

Can you tell my wife?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:17 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
We don’t get VFL matches up here in gods country but I read with interest that Johnson played (or at least started) in the backline
I see he had 20 touches but obviously moved forward as he kicked a couple goals but now did he play in defence ?
Is he an option to come in as a swing player in defence ?
His leap is huge as we’ve witnessed and Carlton will test us with 3 talls at times during the game.
Conversely we could test there defence with Johnson Cox Checkers all forward as well
It would be hard for figure a like for like replacement other than WHE who was very quiet last week but against port was fantastic
Also I noted Lad said Allan was good again yesterday. Is he playing on a wing or as a mid ?
We need to really bolster our inside mids Mitchell isn’t reliable as he once was but McRae isn’t quite ready to be his full time replacement either so it will have to be a rotation
On a side note I’m watching suns v west coast and if we can some now get Rowell I would cry tears of joy. He’s a absolute beast

Johnson last two games have unfolded in the same way.
Against Coburg, he started in defence and then went forward after half time. All that was mixed in with a bit of second rucking because we were so short against them after Steene went off early.
Against the Bombers, he also started in defence and from club reports, he played very well. Later in the game, he went to full forward, most likely in an attempt to give us a target because McInnes was giving us nothing. He went on to kick two goals at full forward in the second half. Time will tell but it would seem the club believe he may yet have something to offer as a last line defender.
Allan is rotating between wing and centre square. I don’t see him as a clearance player. He does his best work when he has time and space to work in.
As for Rowell, hard to believe he’s only 180cm. Not all midfield bulls have to be “ big bodied “, they just have to want it more than the opposition week in, week out.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:32 pm

Any chance Patrick Cripps could play crap against us for once!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:19 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Here's the full replay if you'd like to watch it: https://www.afl.com.au/video/1117497/vfl-match-replay-r5-collingwood-v-essendon?videoId=1117497&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1714190848001&references=AFL_MATCH:6344&references=AFL_MATCH:6344

Cheers mate
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:54 pm

What is the overall head to head matches between Carlton and Collingwood.

I think we are ahead at the moment.

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 pm

Magpiefan3 wrote:
What is the overall head to head matches between Carlton and Collingwood.

I think we are ahead at the moment.

131 wins, 4 draws, 129 losses.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:22 pm

I have been to the last 2 VFL matches.
Finding a good player was as difficult as finding a hen's
teeth.
As my dear departed mother said to me after she died and was brought back to life......" there is nothing there son "!!!!
And that applies to our VFL side on Saturday.
The only thing of interest to me was Jaith.
He is not ready this year but in a couple of years he maybe.
Sullivan is a hard nut but he missed a couple of sitters.
But there is a reason why he has not been picked up by other clubs... he lacks polish.
Still, he may make it...he is tough and determined.
As for AJ.
2 plays stood out to me.
First he left his man in defense before the Dons player had kicked the ball after a mark.
i thought how stupid was that.
But I was wrong he anticipated where the ball was going to be kicked to.
He took a great intercept mark.
Round 1 to AJ
Second whilst still in defense AJ went up for a contested mark in a big pack.
He was in a perfect spot to punch the ball.
But no he tried a big grab from behind. The Dons got the mark and the goal.
This is AJ's problem ...talent and slackness.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9   

Jump to: