Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead, make my day
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Where is that?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:06 pm

Bang bang
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 pm

(With apologies to Jeb Bush): America.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/02/23/we-can-tell-his-heart-is-broken-ind-6-year-old-picks-up-dads-gun-and-accidentally-kills-him/?tid=pm_national_pop_b

So sad.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:01 am

Oh, and here's the libertarian dream in action:

http://www.salon.com/2016/02/23/dont_teach_sensitive_topics_or_anger_students_university_of_houston_warns_after_campus_carry_gun_law_is_passed/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 am

^Surely that's satire from The Onion!

Guns in the hands of young, emotional, risk-taking, substance-consuming young people on university campuses while being told Jesus isn't real?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:24 am

Interesting aside at the end of the article that the founding fathers banned guns at the University of Virginia, which suggests that, as these things tend to go in religion, the adherents can often be far more fundamentalist than the actual writers of the sacred texts. But then, if someone can explain to me why guns on campus are more dangerous than guns in a pub (as is also permitted in many states), I'd appreciate it.

It's all madness, and is, ironically, directly antithetical to any recognisable form of liberty. Where is the liberty in having to self-censor lest you provoke the guy sitting next to you with a loaded handgun? This is tyranny, not freedom.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 am

I was going to post a lengthy, concerted defence but in the end I realize that a lifetime of indoctrination is useless to bash my head against. I read the arguments against my point of view, hell I seek them out, it might do you good to try the same. And Salon? Do you have anything but infantile, loony left moonbat sites in your bookmark list David? (Called you Dave then and had to go back and edit it, does anyone call you Dave? I've often wondered) Laughing

http://concealedcampus.org/2016/02/rape-survivor-speaks-out-in-favor-of-campus-carry/
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:36 am

^Are you honestly saying it's the source which bothers you there? Shocked Are the facts wrong?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:43 am

Haha, no, happy for DTM to be the resident Dave. Smile

re: the article, the odd chance of being able to prevent a rape, mugging or other form of unexpected physical assault with a gun (provided you're able to use it on time and don't end up being disarmed and having it used against you) hardly outweighs the potential harm caused by accidental discharges, suicides, escalated interpersonal conflicts and the odd campus shooting spree.

Anyhow, college dorm date rapes aside – not the sort of thing that most people have a loaded gun prepared for – how many women actually get raped on campus? Is there an epidemic of male students hiding in the bushes waiting for their next victim? And what on earth does that have to do with students being given the right to bring firearms into class?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 am

The 'article' is based around a local newspaper story on a tweet and the musings of a PhD student. It's rubbish journalism (and I use that term with reservation) designed to stoke the feels of an already anti 2nd amendment readership. It offers nothing in the way of argument for or against the law, it doesn't give anything in the way of a balanced opinion (balance it seems is only warranted when a conservative viewpoint is being discussed), it finishes up with a quote from another lot who are against the law and a 'gotcha' moment about the University of Virginia without any context or explanation.

I had to read in the comments to find out if these laws existed anywhere else and the impact they had (Utah, had them for years, no issues).

As for 'sensitive topics' not being discussed, there is already a huge movement towards censorship of anything other than progressive left ideology (no platforming etc that we've discussed before), so THAT is a red herring if I've ever seen one.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:49 am

^That's fine, but it's not what I asked or even gave a toss about. Are the facts correct? Can students carry on campus by law?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:00 am

David wrote:
Haha, no, happy for DTM to be the resident Dave. Smile

re: the article, the odd chance of being able to prevent a rape, mugging or other form of unexpected physical assault with a gun (provided you're able to use it on time and don't end up being disarmed and having it used against you) hardly outweighs the potential harm caused by accidental discharges, suicides, escalated interpersonal conflicts and the odd campus shooting spree.

Anyhow, college dorm date rapes aside – not the sort of thing that most people have a loaded gun prepared for – how many women actually get raped on campus? Is there an epidemic of male students hiding in the bushes waiting for their next victim? And what on earth does that have to do with students being given the right to bring firearms into class?

No the college rape epidemic is largely nonsense, but the right of self defence and therefore the means to do so is enshrined in the US Constitution. Women cannot defend themselves without a weapon and as the young lady in the article says, even with training and something non lethal like pepper spray a woman is still vulnerable.

As for Campus shootings, they've all bar one occurred as far as I know in Universities that ban firearms with Oregon being the exception.

What's really difficult about this issue is that nobody seems to want to be neutral. Statistics are used and abused by both sides, the same facts are distorted and used by both sides of the argument and nobody is really willing to change their viewpoint.

In Australia I'd be happy for a return of sanity and repealing Howard's gun laws that did nothing more than demonize and punish law abiding shooters. And if I hear one more bullshitter reel off the 'no mass shootings since Port Arthur' crap when my partner still has PTSD after being at Monash during the mass shooting there I'll flip the **** out. Laughing
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:01 am

pietillidie wrote:
^That's fine, but it's not what I asked or even gave a toss about. Are the facts correct? Can students carry on campus by law?

How is that in question? Yes they can in Texas as well as a few other States.

http://bfy.tw/4RA4
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:10 am

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

How is that in question? Yes they can in Texas as well as a few other States.

http://bfy.tw/4RA4

Well, then, I repeat:

Surely that's satire from The Onion!

Guns in the hands of young, emotional, risk-taking, substance-consuming young people on university campuses while being told Jesus isn't real?

<etc. – thanks PTID, I think we get the message. Wink>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 3 of 48   

Jump to: