Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Hawks - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our trading has been excellent. Drafting good, though with a lot of recent bad luck with injuries.

Free agent signing has been poor, though most of the signings were fill-ins and have had little to do with our stagnation.

Jpies 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:56 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Our trading has been excellent. Drafting good, though with a lot of recent bad luck with injuries.

Free agent signing has been poor, though most of the signings were fill-ins and have had little to do with our stagnation.

I'm not sure I can agree. Drafting has been hit and miss IMO.

2013 we took Scharenberg and Freeman, and despite the injuries as you mentioned, that draft would have to go down as a loss based upon the outcome, particularly noting the talent that came later in that draft. We will never know how good Freeman could have been, and I suspect the same with Scharenberg.

2014 we took De Goey, Moore, Maynard and Goodyear. That year was a win.

2015 draft we took Sier, Phillips, Wills and Crocker. None have been able to establish themselves as locks for selection, and I'm inclined to call that one a loss at this stage despite us having no first round picks.

2016 we took McLarty, Brown, Kirby and Daicos. Too early to judge that one.

Trading has been good as far as older, established players are concerned. Varcoe, Howe and Dunn have all been good choices. I am still a bit concerned that haven't had much success with drafting players from other clubs who have been in the system say, 1 -3 years, who we anticipate will improve. Again, Aish and WHE are the examples in my mind. I'm hoping Murray is an exception.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:57 pm

I know this contradicts what Buckley is trying to do (save his employment) but if he held any sort of responsibility to this club, he’d be playing the kids.

I see no reason why smith should be getting a game in front of Cal Brown.

No reason why Daicos isn’t playing before Phillips

It’s embarrassing that Cox is playing AFL football. Is our sport so easy to get into that a bloke who has never played before walks into the starting line-up?

We have too many who lack precision skills and pace.

It’s everyone’s fault. Poor recruitment, poor game plan, poor conditioning. At the end of the day, Buckley will be sacked within the next 6-8 weeks.

Who will be hired to take over? Let the speculation begin.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:03 pm

^^^
Well, in that seemingly highly unlikely event, it'd presumably be a caretaker coach, which rules out your namesake, for example.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:34 pm

In the first game last year,we went down to the Bulldogs by only ten points,and probably lost the game through bad kicking.After seeing last night's game,it's pretty clear that we've taken a step back from that performance and have gone backwards.That is a major worry in itself,because we weren't that good last year,and can hardly afford to go backwards.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:35 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
A lot of bagging of Cox but our problem was not our tall forwards, it wasn't a night for them to dominate. Roughead did bugger all for the Hawks and Moore was the leading marker for the night with 8 (Reid 6, Cox 0, Roughead 4).

Our problem was a lack of small forwards, or quality forwards of any description. We can say that missing players are not an excuse. But compare Rioli, Burgoyne, Bruest to Crocker and whoever else we had up there and it's a massive discrepancy. That's not coaching, that's lack of personnel. Add Wells, Elliot, Fas, De Goey and the forward lines are not so far a part.

They beat us for run and had more talented forwards. Simple as that. I did not see any coaching failure in this game. Overall it was a fairly even contest and I don't see any reason to think we won't be competitive in most games.

Like I noted myself take out 3 or 4 of your best players that all play in one specific area of the ground and all teams will struggle to play to their optimum.

Elliott, Fasolo and de Goey are all part of our best forward structure and Wells is one of our most creative who amplifies the abilities of those around him because of his intelligent ball use.

Given the notable forward line players available for Hawthorn we were always going to be in trouble unless we could dominate the midfield possession.

We didn't and I'm afraid it was game over.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:56 pm

Man, watching the way Melb and Geel outnumber contests at half back and actually have one of their players sit off the pack to grab the ensuing front and centre crumbs makes me ill at what we have going at Collingwood.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:13 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

and Development been nothing but Terrible

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Man, watching the way Melb and Geel outnumber contests at half back and actually have one of their players sit off the pack to grab the ensuing front and centre crumbs makes me ill at what we have going at Collingwood.

But they did swap 3 OOFs in about half a minute in the dying stages of the game. Didn't that bring some joy to your heart?
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Anyone who thinks we are either on the right track or close to it is delusional.

The secret “review” was obviously not thorough enough.

I want an explanation why and how was Buckley given a contract extension.
It absolutely made no sense then and makes even less sense now.

This isn’t their club, this is our club and this “jobs for mates” rubbish should be banned.

You don’t have to be an expert to realise that we will not make the finals again.

This decade will forever be remembered as the wasted years.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 pm

slangman wrote:
Anyone who thinks we are either on the right track or close to it is delusional.

This isn’t their club, this is our club and this “jobs for mates” rubbish should be banned.

You don’t have to be an expert to realise that we will not make the finals again.

This decade will forever be remembered as the wasted years.

fair question

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:

Was thinking the same thing; oh and Melbourne just claimed WCE's spot in the 8 for 2018, despite Geebung winning by default. Failing that, I can see no other likely changes to the final 8 from 2017.
What the season will become is simply now a juxtaposition exercise of exactly where in the 8 those teams will finish by the end of H&A season.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:08 pm

think positive wrote:
[quote="slangman"]Anyone who thinks we are either on the right track or close to it is delusional.

This decade will forever be remembered as the wasted years.[/quote]

fair question
Oh. Thanks for pointing no sense then and makes less sense out.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:22 pm

K wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

But they did swap 3 OOFs in about half a minute in the dying stages of the game. Didn't that bring some joy to your heart?

That's got nothing to do with structure, instruction, or smarts. They were simply tired legs and poor execution. But yes, it was one ugly minute of football.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:26 pm

^ Yes, fatigue must have played a significant part, I think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17   

Jump to: