Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Saints . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam wrote:
Grundy stood up to mark more than I've noticed him do today, and ran his guts out from side to side to make himself a target, many times not receiving the ball. He's amazing and his endurance is unparalleled for a bigman.

Yep - get to see that when at the game. It's not all about disposal efficiency. Some of his turnovers were a result of his tremendous work winning clearances, and he bombed it out of the danger zone - he knew the urgency of getting the ball to a safer zone when the saints had a sniff.

PyreneesPie wrote:
Incredible endurance and stamina. Did he get a rest in the ruck at all today? I can't recall. In the end, he just ran his (worthy) opponent off his legs. Lion- hearted is our Brodie.

Grundy had a rest in the middle stages of both the 1st and 2nd quarters. It was in the 2nd qtr, whilst he was off and Reid was rucking that there was a period of ruck after ruck contest - with Reid battling out of his depth we just couldn't clear it, and was part of the reason why the ball seemed to spend an age in the Saints half of the ground...

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:42 am

In a situation like rest time for Grundy and by no means is this a put down to Reid would Cox doing the fill in rucking been better to move ball quickly out of Saint territory
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am

piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
A very good win, with an undermanned side.

My main concern, however, is our continuing struggle to win centre clearances, despite having the dominant ruckman. This problem has to be addressed and remedied asap.

Yep that was the only visible problem; I'm hoping things click in the 2nd half of the season.
And if I was the coaching staff, during the bye-week, I would be watching a replay of every 2019 match where we have lost the centre clearances, and trying to determine who isn't running to the right spots under Grundy, and why.

I’m still not convinced that basic / simple stat of winning clearances is as important as “ we “ all think.
All clubs are looking for that perfect clean takeaway from the middle but they are few and far between. Most clearance takeaways aren’t “ perfect “, so good teams win the ball back before the opposition score and then go forward on the rebound.
Every team has weakness and deficiencies. We don’t have to be perfect, just better than 17 other teams as a combined effort..
F W I W, check the amount of teams this year who win a ( close ) game of footy but still lose the clearances.

For mine ( if I could only choose from one ) I would prefer to see an improvement in our scoring efficiency / conversion over an improvement in our clearances numbers.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:51 am

BazBoy wrote:
In a situation like rest time for Grundy and by no means is this a put down to Reid would Cox doing the fill in rucking been better to move ball quickly out of Saint territory

Yes - whilst Reid deserves his spot presently, Cox is going to be the better backup ruckman, if only due to his height advantage.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:59 am

It’s an advantage (height) that’s for sure and I think Cox is very good

But Reid’s advantage is knowing how to position his body at a ball up or throw in which Cox hasn’t completely mastered at this stage

Gee they are both good and Bucks said in a presser he felt they could both play together—-how ?? Guess Bucks has an inkling

tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:23 pm

^ Well, Reid can play defence too, so maybe that's how the coaches would have them play in the same side. Could happen with Langdon going down,
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
My main concern, however, is our continuing struggle to win centre clearances, despite having the dominant ruckman. This problem has to be addressed and remedied asap.

Yep that was the only visible problem; I'm hoping things click in the 2nd half of the season.
And if I was the coaching staff, during the bye-week, I would be watching a replay of every 2019 match where we have lost the centre clearances, and trying to determine who isn't running to the right spots under Grundy, and why.

I’m still not convinced that basic / simple stat of winning clearances is as important as “ we “ all think.
All clubs are looking for that perfect clean takeaway from the middle but they are few and far between. Most clearance takeaways aren’t “ perfect “, so good teams win the ball back before the opposition score and then go forward on the rebound.
F W I W, check the amount of teams this year who win a ( close ) game of footy but still lose the clearances.

That should be less likely with the 6-6-6 rule, shouldn't it? A messy centre clearance should still go to a 50-50 contest.

afl.com.au report what sounds like a classic coach's non-reply:

"In their past four outings, the Woods have been beaten in clearances and centre clearances, but Buckley was comfortable that his team was outscoring the opposition from stoppages and was defending well. However, he was keen to capitalise on Brodie Grundy's ruck dominance."
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:14 pm

[quote="K"]
Pies2016 wrote:
piedys wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

That should be less likely with the 6-6-6 rule, shouldn't it? A messy centre clearance should still go to a 50-50 contest.

——————————

K, we all thought 6 6 6 would make it easier for forwards but the reality is that scoring hasn’t increased overall ( looks like it’s finally getting back to the 2018 numbers in last couple weeks )
That would suggest the “ less than perfect “ clearance really doesn’t advantage the forward, even if it is still a one on one. The fact that we aren’t that flash in clearances but are still sitting very comfortably in second also suggests we do most of our damage after we have won it back ( because we are good at pressing up on the oppositions clearance )
I have no doubt what we see now, will look different again later in the year, particularly from the strong well drilled teams.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
... Most clearance takeaways aren’t “ perfect “, so good teams win the ball back before the opposition score and then go forward on the rebound. ...

That should be less likely with the 6-6-6 rule, shouldn't it? A messy centre clearance should still go to a 50-50 contest. ...

K, we all thought 6 6 6 would make it easier for forwards but the reality is that scoring hasn’t increased overall ( ...)
That would suggest the “ less than perfect “ clearance really doesn’t advantage the forward, even if it is still a one on one. ...

P16, I wonder whether coaches are worried about the exposed back 6 at bounces and are positioning their centre-square players more defensively than if they could have a +1 back.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:58 pm

^^The number of clean clearances was always quite low. Having extra players sometimes made a good clearance easier when you could win it and spread.

With 6-6-6 you'd expect clean clearances to reduce even though there is more space. Team's aren't going to setup super aggressively for most of the game.

This change was never going to have a huge effect on scoring.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:50 pm

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
... Most clearance takeaways aren’t “ perfect “, so good teams win the ball back before the opposition score and then go forward on the rebound. ...

That should be less likely with the 6-6-6 rule, shouldn't it? A messy centre clearance should still go to a 50-50 contest. ...

K, we all thought 6 6 6 would make it easier for forwards but the reality is that scoring hasn’t increased overall ( ...)
That would suggest the “ less than perfect “ clearance really doesn’t advantage the forward, even if it is still a one on one. ...

P16, I wonder whether coaches are worried about the exposed back 6 at bounces and are positioning their centre-square players more defensively than if they could have a +1 back.

Every side would start by setting up to their strengths. That’s what’s 6 months of pre season is designed for but then you also plan for momentum with you and momentum against you. Most clubs obviously revert to plan B when momentum is against them and that’s when the more defensive strategies come in. If you’re getting beaten in the middle, you can no longer add extras in defence at the bounce, so the losing teams midfield will normally lock down goal side on the other team. It’s simply a way of reducing the clean ball out of the middle and at the same time, they will roll at least one wing into the back half immediately after the bounce. For the first few seconds after the bounce, there isn’t much more you can do.
Don’t get me wrong, we should be trying to improve their clearance work but we find ourselves in a phase of the game where the consequence of the clearance is even more important.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Why 2019's expected scoring fireworks haven't happened

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-29/listen-why-2019s-expected-scoring-fireworks-havent-happened

"Podcast summary
2:20 – What difference is the 6-6-6 rule making?
4:12 – How GPS data is heightening football analysis
5:21 – Why is scoring at a 50-year low?
8:10 – Coaches' on-field response to the 6-6-6 restrictions
..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: