Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies punish Dees . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
They're worth 6 points but don't qualify as good kicking.

Laughing Laughing you should give Peter Daicos a call.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm

A good win. Not perfect, but good. I'm happy with that at this stage. Not looking for style points just yet, 4 points will do me.

Loved the game of WHE. With his skillset he's very important to us and I really like him getting involved up the ground. Hopefully starting to hit some form.

Brown 7 tackles, 28 pressure acts and used his pace to setup the sealing goal. No doubt that he's a serious AFL player.

Sier was good in his return. Only the 4 clerances but 9 tackles is a great sign. The one concern is that he had the least game time of any player at 63%. Fitness or flexibility?

Interesting stat: Phillips had our equal most clearances with 5, matching Treloar. Seemed to play a slightly different role than usual with 13 of his 27 touches being contested (1 behind Sier as our leading contested ball winner).

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Solid win.

Played much better football today compared to last week. We recorded a season high 'Pressure Factor' which is a reflection of the intensity we produced today and which mirrored last year, so it was good to see it returned after it was lacking in previous weeks. That was our best tackling effort since the Richmond game in round 2 with us winning 16 more tackles than Melbourne.

Excellent performances by Sidebottom, Treloar, Stephenson and Hoskin-Elliott. All four stood out to me with them dominating their respective roles.

Melbourne won the clearance count (46-29) and the inside 50 count (58-56), but irrespective of these stats we dominated them on the outside and our defensive pressure held up very well. Melbourne are already a strong clearance side, so it's not a stat I'm overly concerned about, but there's no doubt we need to improve in clearances sooner rather than later. Hopefully now with the inclusions of Sier, and Adams in a few weeks time this can start to change for the better.

The inclusion of Sier was undeniably a beneficial one for the team. He clearly provides a better midfield balance with his inside grunt work. Still somewhat baffles me why he's been out of the team for this long, but I think he needs to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

Cox was very rusty early on, but slowly started to getting better as the game progressed. Just good to see him get through the game without any dramas.

Very happy to be 9-3 as the bye approaches. Couldn't have asked for too much at this stage. Some performances have been hit and miss, but the W-L record is excellent. There's a lot to be optimistic as we prepare for the second half of the season.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:58 pm

The question may well be Sier or Beams???
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:04 am

Skids wrote:
K wrote:
They're worth 6 points but don't qualify as good kicking.

Laughing Laughing you should give Peter Daicos a call.

Peter Daicos from the goal square?

I don't remember any goals from our boys today from the boundary line.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 am

Skids wrote:
eureka wrote:
Need to be cleaner in clearances and kicking it though the big sticks but this will improve

Kicked 9 straight goals after half time, reckon that's pretty good Wink
On the stats sheet it looked good after half-time, but that's deceiving: in the 3rd we had a few shots that didn't make the distance or were out on full (Stepho). And our bad kicking in the first half kept the dees in it - we should've had a much bigger lead by qtr time. No, it wasn't a great day in front of goal, just a few brilliant, unlikely, goals that made the scoreboard better.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:05 am

Jezza wrote:
The inclusion of Sier was undeniably a beneficial one for the team. He clearly provides a better midfield balance with his inside grunt work. Still somewhat baffles me why he's been out of the team for this long, but I think he needs to stay in the side for the rest of the year.

Well, he's officially had a string of injuries and normally our club is accused of hiding injuries, not making them up.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 am

masoncox wrote:

I prefer Sier. He provides the necessary inside grunt in our midfield and provides a better balance to our overall midfield group. If we replace him with Beams, we will have too many outside mids, but no grunt.

With respect to Beams, I don't think he's been a great addition to our team and I don't think he will be missed as much as some may anticipate.

The concern of Sier is whether his fitness levels are up to scratch. Last year he averaged 63.83% of game time on the ground which are similar numbers to what we saw today. Can he improve those numbers or is it a characteristic we need to tolerate for the time being?

Cannot wait for the addition of Adams, which will provide the perfect balance of inside and outside mids in our team. We're screaming out for his return at this stage.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:06 am

K wrote:
I don't remember any goals from our boys today from the boundary line.

Josh Thomas in the last qtr?

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:30 am

masoncox wrote:

Not for a long time.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:31 am

Beams is an A-Grader who has been suffering and carrying an acute injury. He will come back in and be twice the player he has been alongside Sier and Adams. Dual sided goal kicking mids don't grow on trees!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:54 am

Think Beams should play as a half forward rather than through the middle.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:40 am

Watched the game with my son on his computer in Hebron, Palestine. Overall I thought it a damn fine performance. The standout players were Stephenson, who should have kicked 7 goals, Sidey, who oozed class all day, Treloar, who is having a great year, and Grundy, who though beaten by Gawn, battled manfully despite carrying a neck injury. Others deserving credit were the whole back line, as well as Varcoe, whose contribution is never picked up in stats, but his pressure is enormous. JDG is a gun, and WHE had his best game for the year. Callum Brown continues to justify his spot in our team, often burning off opponents in final quarters. Sier had a great first game and should get better, particularly as his fitness and game time both increase. Cox did a couple of nice things, but should improve with the game under his belt.

My only concern, as it has been for a couple of years now, is our poor clearance rate. Even when a fit Grundy wins the hit outs, we rarely win the clearances, and today, when Gawn won in the ruck, we got smashed at clearances and contested ball. IMO, this is the main area we need to improve on if we are to win the flag this year. Getting Adams back will help, but somehow I feel our midfielders need to improve this area of our game. Overall today was a good game by our boys and we should all be pleased with their efforts. Go Pies!
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:08 am

I think today we saw a couple players really looking forward to the break in Grundy and Pendles
Neither seemed fully fit for mine
All this talk that Grundy was now been leap frogged by Gawn is rubbish
Grundy was clearly hampered by a ankle so had little leap and lessened mobility
Pendles just seemed saw was t anywhere near his previous form
His body has had some knocks recently so the rest will do him and others well

I was impressed by Seir his in and under work was very solid and his want to be in the contest shone bright
He released the handball for our outside runners well but at times maybe should have kicked himself but he will learn the balance
Greenwood is reinventing himself down back and being a solid hard worker
Overall we head to the bye 9-3 which at the beginning of the season I would have thought it was exactly where we wanted to be
We have Adams Elliott and Scharenberg just about ready to go after the bye so selection will be hard in a few weeks

We should hopefully go 3 from 4 after the bye and be set for a big run into the finals then
Queue in the rack for a couple weeks now and rest up lads you earned your break
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:41 am

Just rewatching the game, now. I think that quite a few of you are getting influenced by Gawn's stats - he was actually useless in the first half of the game. Grundy thrashed him. By the time Gawn got his hands on the ball, the game was over. Grundy was particularly dominant in the second and third quarters. He left Gawn in his wake until the game was broken.

Watson's commentary in the second quarter after Sier's point is informative. I'll quote: "It was interesting - Max Gawn let Grundy go, he let him go up to the wing and take the ball. He went back about another half kick but in the end he was useless there because they just ran around him."

That's how I saw Gawn's game for the first half. Straight after Sier's point, it's 5.7 to 2.2, the game is over as a contest and Grundy has been the winner, hands-down of all of the influential contests between him and Gawn.

Edit - And just to reinforce that, 5 m 33 s to go in the first half, Grundy runs off Gawn, again, to intercept a Melbourne handball out of defence - he gives the ball to Mihocek in space. Cek kicks a point when he probably should goal. Gawn is just a spectator (yet again) as Grundy imposes himself on the game.

Anyone who really thinks Gawn beat Grundy has no understanding at all of how the influential moments of footy games are won and lost.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: