Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies punish Dees . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Anyone who really thinks Gawn beat Grundy has no understanding at all of how the influential moments of footy games are won and lost.

I think people mean that Grundy was beaten in the ruck and not necessarily around the ground. Grundy is by far the better and more effective player. He has midfielder like qualities which gawn does not possess. He moves around the ground and always back up and presents an option. gawn is a ruckman, simple as that really. The ruck stats may sway to his favour because they won the clearances, but that's about it.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:53 am

^ you forgot to mention the icing on Gawn's cake: the brilliant holding the ball in the dying seconds, and his even more brilliant shot at goal...

EDIT: was responding to P4S's analysis

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:05 am

I was expecting a better performance from the team after last week's poor showing and was pleased with the outcome. It was a fair result in the end. Sure, it could've, and probably should've been more given all the missed scoring opportunities, but that's football.

Our defense were fantastic. We smothered them and denied them many scoring opportunities. Greenwood is a pain in the arse defender, Moore throws himself at everything, Crisp's run off half back is great, Maynard is solid while Roughhead and Howe's intercept marking was crucial.

Our mids were effective and created pressure. They seemed up for the contest and more willing to take the game on, run and create space. Sidebum had the ball on a string at time, Pendles is clearly injured, Treloar was very effective but terrible by foot, Sier did well for his first game of the season but I wish he run and carry more and kick rather than look to handball off all the time. Mayne and Varcoe's pressure was very good.

Forwards were good too minus their conversion rate. Stevo didn't retreat into his shell after those easy misses. JDG had a good game. WHE played out of his skin.

We controlled the game and the momentum despite getting smashed in the clearances (again). We seriously need to fix this facet of our game if we're to go to the next level. Hopefully it improves once Adams returns. I think having him, JDG and Sier in the middle is a big step towards achieving this.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:06 am

Anyone else noticed the score after half time? Collingwood 9.0 to Melbourne 4.10. Shocked And 10.1 to 4.12 from the halfway mark of the second quarter. While I think we would have still won, it would have been a much closer game if they’d taken their opportunities...
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:13 am

David wrote:
Anyone else noticed the score after half time? Collingwood 9.0 to Melbourne 4.10. Shocked And 10.1 to 4.12 from the halfway mark of the second quarter. While I think we would have still won, it would have been a much closer game if they’d taken their opportunities...

But if we took our opportunities in the first half then it's probably game over at half time. We kicked 3.5 in the first quarter which should've been 6 or 7 goals and the ball basically lived in our forward line for the first 30 minutes, so we clearly didn't get the reward for effort.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:24 am

Another key moment - 4 m 40s, centre bounce after Melbourne get back to within 19 points. Grundy down Sier's throat, straight into the forward line. 20 seconds later, he gives it to Sier again from the throw in inside our forward 50. Further throw in contest - Gawn, now physically incapable of competing with Grundy scrags badly - should give away another free to Thor, 25 metres out but, remarkably gets away with it - no matter, Grundy follows up twice on the ground and eventually the ball comes to Sidebottom, who kicks the goal from the half chance.

Back to the centre. Can Gawn be beaten 4 in a row? Yes, of course he can, - Grundy down to Sier, again, across to Phillips, kicks foward to WHE, handball to Treloar, goal. Four important ruck contests in a row. Grundy won all of them. Melbourne went to the first three with a chance to get within 13 points and finished up over 5 goals behind, in the space of a minute. Give Gawn the coaches' votes, give him the Brownlow Medal, who cares? At every single important moment in this game, he was pantsed.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:29 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Anyone who really thinks Gawn beat Grundy has no understanding at all of how the influential moments of footy games are won and lost.

I think people mean that Grundy was beaten in the ruck and not necessarily around the ground. Grundy is by far the better and more effective player. He has midfielder like qualities which gawn does not possess. He moves around the ground and always back up and presents an option. gawn is a ruckman, simple as that really. The ruck stats may sway to his favour because they won the clearances, but that's about it.

Yes, i know that's what some people seem to think - but it's actually so entirely incorrect that it defies belief. It's like people have become so comfortable watching Grundy win the ruck 45 hitouts to 10 that they can't appreciate him pantsing a good ruckman at every important moment in a game. Every single time the game was in the balance - or even looked like it might be, Gawn came up empty against the best ruckman in the competition. Lucky Grundy was on one leg and playing with a neck injury, I reckon - Gawn wouldn't want to play him fit, that's for sure.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:31 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
David wrote:

But if we took our opportunities in the first half then it's probably game over at half time. We kicked 3.5 in the first quarter which should've been 6 or 7 goals and the ball basically lived in our forward line for the first 30 minutes, so we clearly didn't get the reward for effort.

And, as Watson observed in the third quarter, if Stephenson had kicked competently in the first two and a half quarters, he could have had seven goals (that is, by the time he kicked his second). This was never a contest.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 am

The measure of any team is how you respond after a loss.
Yesterdays efforts and the hard running by the players, on the back of our last loss, was excellent.
There is still a bit of polishing and fine tuning required but the club will review its position over the bye and set about tweaking whatever areas need improvement.
It’s every clubs aim to be sitting amongst the top couple positions come the bye. Right now, we are in much better shape than most.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Back to the end of the third quarter. 2m 39s to go. The ball goes out of bounds on the wing (after Thomas isn't given an obvious free for being dragged down in the marking contest). Grundy beaten by Gawn? Of course not - a beautiful tap to Mayne's advantage, ball to Treloar and down inside our 50. A couple of repeat entries after the ensuing forward throw-in (at which Gawn shoves Grundy in the back and palms it straight to Sier) and a defensive skill error by Melbourne turns it over to Pendles, who gives it to Stephenson, who kicks it forward for another WHE mark and goal. In the blink of an eye, Collingwood is 6 goals up.

Last edited by Pies4shaw on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
eureka 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am

rest up
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:07 pm

I was listening to it on the radio.

We had a good 41pt win in the end, luckily for us MEL are rubbish as fk & kept missing their shots at goal which kept them within range, that was until we polished them off good & proper in the last.

Need to end this QB clash with these flogs, sick of this shit.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:09 pm

From the first quarter I could tell we were on our pressure across the ground was the best it has been for a while. Sier was brillant yesterday , along with Grundy , De Goey ,Stevo and Sidey. Our Back Six was solid . Happy 150 Games to Roughy and to Big Al McAlister in the sky. So good beating the Toffs. De Goey's goal on hibberd was my highlight.

www.facebook/the hybernators
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:11 pm

I thought our pressure was way up from the Freo game. Sidey seem to be really out their hunting people played a great game. Sier adds so much to the middle. We got smashed in clearances, which I feel if we can get this right we may become unbeatable.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm

Great to see Gawn miss that give me goal at the end.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: